Error Handling

Hi Folks,

I am creating a script to download a link from a webpage and uses lots of "send" keys - I understand there are mouse functions which I can use, but that will require me to spend more time to rewrite what is already written.

The program runs every 5 minutes using scheduled tasks and we have the flexibility of any iteration going wrong as the data doesnt have to be uptodate at all times. But at times (maybe once in 50) I end up gettng the "variable must be of type object" error and this results in the scheduled task to wait for user input to kill this instance. This creates the issue of requiring a manual intervention and as the cycle we need the program to run is for 12 hours, it will be difficult to man it.

Could someone please suggest if we can supress this error or maybe terminate the program itself on error by calling any error handle in the beginning of the program ?

Apologies if I am not clear on what I trying to achieve or being so dumb (not from the programming backgroung :) )

Thanks,

Shaheen

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

Supressing error messages is not a good idea! Modify the script so it runs without errors.

To download a file I would suggest function "InetGet".

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks mate

I had thought about the InetGet option previously, but the customer software (page) we use are running Javascripts to fetch data based on the links selected and there is no direct file location which we can use. Hence I had to go with the "send" functions.

I understand that supression of errors are not good practise, but with the current context is there a possibility of doing it as the error pops up very rarely and that too due to the incorrect tab being hit by the send function (mostly due to the delay in page). Setting delays (increasing) hasnt helped fully to remove the error though.

Cheers,

Shaheen

If you use Internet Explorer as your browser then I suggest to use the IE UDF that comes with AutoIt.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Program is running with FF as the browser (site requires FF and is not reliable with IE) and I havent used UDF's before (Apologies, not from programming background)

Any possibility of terminating the process upon error. Again I understand that you are trying to help me to fix the code, but with the limited time I thought to ignore the error as it is hardly one in 50.

Thanks

When you get the "variable must be of type object" error message then the script crashes (means it ends)? Or do you get a popup you have to reply to?

What exactly do you mean by "wait for user input to kill this instance"?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Apologies.

The script doesnt end and a popup is created with the error message waiting for user to input and only then the program exits. I am looking if this popup could be removed so that the script silently exits on error.

Thanks

Can you start your script with "/ErrorStdOut" as first parameter? This redirects the error message to StdOut. So no popup, no user intervention required.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

shaheen28,

We do not allow multiple accounts here - I have therefore deleted your "shaheen" account. Please do not open another one. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area