Change computer name

My next project is to get a script working that will read the generic pc name given after imaging with Win7, allow input for new name, and write that data back. The machines are currently NOT on AD, but will be starting this summer.

I can read the @Computername, but am I correct that you can NOT write BACK to that value to change it? Is the only way to accomplish this is to find the reg values and write back those?

Anyone else tried this yet?

Thanks in advance

Edited: We are using Dell PC's and currently use the Service Tag as part of the ComputerName. Room# - ServiceTag. So the ST needs to be pulled from the system, and appended to the end of the computername. I have found a thread with reg entries that I am going to try.

Edited by PDowning

Never tried with autoit, but this is what i got:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="Whatever"
"DefaultDomainName"="Whatever"
Edited by careca
Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

GPO Tool - Export/Import Group policy settings.

MirrorDir - Synchronize/Backup/Mirror Folders

BeatsPlayer - Music player.

Params Tool - Right click an exe to see it's parameters or execute them.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Inconspicuous - Hide files in plain sight, not fully encrypted.

Regedit Control - Registry browsing history, quickly jump into any saved key.

Time4Shutdown - Write the time for shutdown in minutes.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

NetworkSpeedShutdown - Shuts down pc if download speed goes under "X" Kb/s.

IUIAutomation - Topic with framework and examples

Au3Record.exe

Perhaps this will provide you the mechanism you need.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askds/archive/2009/02/19/renaming-a-computer-using-wmic-and-how-to-get-around-that-aggravating-invalid-global-switch-error.aspx

Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

• Moderators

As you mention you will be moving the PCs into AD shortly, I would suggest the AD UDF when you get to that point: http://www.autoitscript.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106163

With the UDF, you should be able to rename them with _AD_RenameObject()

In the meantime, this should work just fine:

#RequireAdmin

$newName = InputBox("Rename PC", "What would you like the new name to be?")
$WMI = ObjGet("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & "." & "\root\cimv2")
$aItems = $WMI.ExecQuery ("Select Name from Win32_ComputerSystem")

For $element In $aItems
  $action = $element.Rename($newName)
    If $action <> 0 Then
    MsgBox(0, "Error - " & $action, "Error renaming PC")
  Else
   Shutdown(6)
  EndIf
 Next

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I did find this command via google. I can get it to output the service tag to a text file. Then I can read that into a string variable and append the inputted computer name into a variable and write that variable to the reg entries. Or am I making that too difficult?

I guess it's up to you, i think that would work.

Spoiler

Renamer - Rename files and folders, remove portions of text from the filename etc.

String Trigger - Triggers pasting text or applications or internet links on specific strings.

Power Profiles Tool - Set a profile as active, delete, duplicate, export and import.

Finished Task Shutdown - Shuts down pc when specified window/Wndl/process closes.

Au3Record.exe

How are you outputting the service tag to a text file?

Spoiler

Things I've Made: Always On Top Tool ◊ AU History ◊ Deck of Cards ◊ HideIt ◊ ICU ◊ Icon Freezer ◊ Ipod Ejector ◊ Junos Configuration Explorer ◊ Link Downloader ◊ MD5 Folder Enumerator ◊ PassGen ◊ Ping Tool ◊ Quick NIC ◊ Read OCR ◊ RemoteIT ◊ SchTasksGui ◊ SpyCam ◊ System Scan Report Tool ◊ System UpTime ◊ Transparency Machine ◊ VMWare ESX Builder
Misc Code Snippets: ADODB Example ◊ CheckHover ◊ Detect SafeMode ◊ DynEnumArray ◊ GetNetStatData ◊ HashArray ◊ IsBetweenDates ◊ Local Admins ◊ Make Choice ◊ Recursive File List ◊ Remove Sizebox Style ◊ Retrieve PNPDeviceID ◊ Retreive SysListView32 Contents ◊ Set IE Homepage ◊ Tickle Expired Password ◊ Transpose Array
Projects: Drive Space Usage GUI ◊ LEDkIT ◊ Plasma_kIt ◊ Scan Engine Builder ◊ SpeeDBurner ◊ SubnetCalc
Cool Stuff: AutoItObject UDF â—Š Extract Icon From Proc â—Š GuiCtrlFontRotate â—Š Hex Edit Funcs â—Š Run binary â—Š Service_UDF

#include

local $cmd = _RunDos("wmic csproduct get identifyingnumber > c:\users\public\st.txt") ;Runs hidden cmd, pulls service tag and writes to st.txt
$room=InputBox('Renamer v0.1','Please Enter Room Number') ;Allows user to input name for workstation
$stag=FileReadLine('c:\users\public\st.txt',2) ;pull service tag from generated text file
$CompName=($room&'-'&$stag) ;appends service tag to room number giving us the new workstation name

MsgBox(0,'test',$CompName) ;for debugging

;write reg keys to change workstation name
RegWrite ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Computername\Computername", "Computername", "REG_SZ", $CompName)
RegWrite ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Computername\ActiveComputername", "Computername", "REG_SZ", $CompName)
RegWrite ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters", "Hostname", "REG_SZ", $CompName)
RegWrite ("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters", "NV Hostname", "REG_SZ", $CompName)
RegWrite ("HKEY_USERS\.Default\Software\Microsoft\Windows Media\WMSDK\General", "Computername", "REG_SZ", $CompName)

In theory this works. One minor problem, win7 won't let me write to the Local_Machine section. I did a test script to write to the other root keys and it works fine, ust can't write to LM. Anyone got an idea?

Edited: Sorta fixed. Turn UAC off and I can write to the LM key. But since the name is changed it won't reboot properly.

Edited by PDowning

Well, got it working by turning UAC off. But as I said in my edit, it changes the regkeys while Windows is running and when it attempts to reboot, it blue screens. There is a step that I'm missing somewhere in the rename process that MS uses that keeps it from dying during a name change.

Create a batch with the instructions to import the reg file, or to execute your compiled script, or whatever, and then go to gpedit.msc -> computer configuration -> scripts (Startup/Shutdown) -> Double click shutdown in the right pane, add the file to be executed uppon shutdown, and maybe this way it can work. dunno

Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

Create a batch with the instructions to import the reg file, or to execute your compiled script, or whatever, and then go to gpedit.msc -> computer configuration -> scripts (Startup/Shutdown) -> Double click shutdown in the right pane, add the file to be executed uppon shutdown, and maybe this way it can work. dunno

i'll give that a shot ...

Edited: How would I get the $CompName value OUT to the batch file? I don't see a way to do that.

Edited by PDowning

Create the batch with autoit, like, grab the data from the txt file "X", add the variable data to it,

create new file paste all data, rename, in my mind this is making sense..doesn't mean it's simple,

Can't think of if you can rename extensions..

Edited by careca
Spoiler

Au3Record.exe

PDowning,

I think I would persue the solution that JLogan3o13 offered. Using a system interface is safer (in my opinion) than operating directly on the registry. The fact that you are having boot problems lends some credence to this.

kylomas

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

I've got it working with netdom considering we are going thru the process of converting to AD. It's not a pretty script, but it is working and does what is needed.

Thanks for the suggestions and prods in the proper direction.