2 desktops

Hey all, it's me again... :whistle:

Does anyone maby know how I can make 2 desktops?

With a button it removes all the windows and show others

And by clicking one more time it should switch everything back?

Something like Private Desktop and Boss Key

Thanks,

Ghastly_MIB

Hey all, it's me again... :whistle:

Something like Private Desktop and Boss Key

Thanks,

Ghastly_MIB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

neat idea... i may have to try this one out, sounds like a cool project. i can't work on it here at work, but will definitely try some stuff when i get home. the way i'd probably do it is with an ini file, or registry entries, listing the icons on each desktop, and then either moving the ones that shouldn't be displayed to a holding folder off the desktop

Here are a couple of options:

1. Microsoft's Windows XP PowerToys include a utility for a Desktop Manager that sits on your taskbar and really just shows and hides windows based on which virtual desktop you're viewing. I'm not sure if it supports keystrokes, but it should be easy enough to write an AutoIt script to click the desktop buttons.

2. Search some download sites, you'll probably find several decent, free solutions.

3. The Win-D key combo will show the desktop. Win-M will minimize all. Repeat either one to undo the operation. Keep in mind that Win-D will undo itself when the next window is restored or an application is started. It's meant to provide quick access to the desktop icons, while restoring all windows once the desktop has been used.

4. Write an AutoIt script that issues a Win-M or Win-D, followed by WinRestore's to some windows that you always keep open, such as your email, Word, Excel, a calculator, or whatever. You could probably even have it trigger after a timeout of no keyboard activity for a couple minutes... shorter than your screen saver, but I personally got myself in the habit of hitting Win-L when I turn away from the screen.

My UDFs: ExitCodes

Here are a couple of options:

1.  Microsoft's Windows XP PowerToys include a utility for a Desktop Manager that sits on your taskbar and really just shows and hides windows based on which virtual desktop you're viewing.  I'm not sure if it supports keystrokes, but it should be easy enough to write an AutoIt script to click the desktop buttons.

2.  Search some download sites, you'll probably find several decent, free solutions.

3.  The Win-D key combo will show the desktop.  Win-M will minimize all.  Repeat either one to undo the operation.  Keep in mind that Win-D will undo itself when the next window is restored or an application is started.  It's meant to provide quick access to the desktop icons, while restoring all windows once the desktop has been used.

4.  Write an AutoIt script that issues a Win-M or Win-D, followed by WinRestore's to some windows that you always keep open, such as your email, Word, Excel, a calculator, or whatever.  You could probably even have it trigger after a timeout of no keyboard activity for a couple minutes... shorter than your screen saver, but I personally got myself in the habit of hitting Win-L when I turn away from the screen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

tropsoft makes a product that displays different desktops, allows password lock etc also that you may want to check out for free, pre-made solutions, but i'm still going to try to create one and will post the code on here when i'm done

tropsoft makes a product that displays different desktops, allows password lock etc also that you may want to check out for free, pre-made solutions, but i'm still going to try to create one and will post the code on here when i'm done

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know :whistle: Private Desktop. I use that program... But I wan't to create my own one.

Okay, if the purpose here is to learn, then you'll probably want to start a few processes in a hidden state for quick "swapping", get all visible window titles in a loop so you're ready at a moment's notice, use a hotkey to call a function that changes all visible windows to @SW_HIDE mode and your "safe" windows to @SW_SHOW mode, then sit idle until the hotkey is hit again, and swap the hidden and visible windows again, and continue monitoring for window titles.

The WinList function has bits in its example that you can use for collecting the visible window titles and handles. I don't know how long it would take to collect titles/handles for all visible windows, which is why I mention doing it in a loop. If it's fast enough to do on-the-fly, then just put it at the beginning of your "swap" function.

Sidenote: The hiding and showing of windows just gave me an idea. See this topic.

Is it not posible with a loop?

$desktop1=0
  $list = WinList()
  For $n=1 To $list[0][0]
    Dim $1desktop[$n]
    $1desktop[$n] = $list[$n][1]
    $desktop1 = $desktop1 + 1
  Next
  For $n=1 To $desktop1
    WinSetState($1desktop[$n], "", @SW_HIDE)
  Next
  Sleep(3000)
  For $n=1 To $desktop1
    WinSetState($1desktop[$n], "", @SW_SHOW)
  Next

But this won't work

Is it not posible with a loop?

You're on the right track. Now introduce hotkeys to do it and undo it.

You might seriously consider using the OnAutoItExit() function just to make sure all your hidden windows are visible before the script exits, just in case it's killed from the system tray.

I found something, but that switches between all windows and processes.

How can I skip the processes?

#include <Constants.au3>
HotKeySet("^s", "desktops")

Func desktops2()
  $list = WinList()
  For $n=1 To $list[0][0]
    $RetVal = WinGetState($list[$n][1])
    If $list[$n][0] <> "" Then
      If $RetVal = 5 Then
        WinSetState($list[$n][1], "", @SW_SHOW)
      Else
        WinSetState($list[$n][1], "", @SW_HIDE)