Read from Keyboard

I'm trying to write a program to automate a whole bunch of clicks and user inputs to a particular application and have run into a slight problem. Because of the nature of the application on top of which my script will be run, users will be required to calibrate the environment. So what I want is this: the user moves the cursor to a certian spot (button) in the application then presses a keyboard button (space bar). When the user hits the keyboard button, the script records the coordinates of the mouse. I know how to use MouseGetPos to get the coordinates, but I don't know how to have that done only when the user presses a key. Could someone please help me out?

• Developers

I'm trying to write a program to automate a whole bunch of clicks and user inputs to a particular application and have run into a slight problem.  Because of the nature of the application on top of which my script will be run, users will be required to calibrate the environment.  So what I want is this: the user moves the cursor to a certian spot (button) in the application then presses a keyboard button (space bar).  When the user hits the keyboard button, the script records the coordinates of the mouse.  I know how to use MouseGetPos to get the coordinates, but I don't know how to have that done only when the user presses a key.  Could someone please help me out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HotKeySet() ?

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

I'm trying to write a program to automate a whole bunch of clicks and user inputs to a particular application and have run into a slight problem.  Because of the nature of the application on top of which my script will be run, users will be required to calibrate the environment.  So what I want is this: the user moves the cursor to a certian spot (button) in the application then presses a keyboard button (space bar).  When the user hits the keyboard button, the script records the coordinates of the mouse.  I know how to use MouseGetPos to get the coordinates, but I don't know how to have that done only when the user presses a key.  Could someone please help me out?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

you could go with either of the suggestions HotKeySet(), _IsPressed(), but i'm not sure that it's really necessary... are you doing the calibration for the sake of the code? i mean to like mathematically figure out the location of elements and controls? if so, you should definitely look at controlclick, controlsend, controlgetpos, and wingetpos in the helpfile.

Unfortunately the calibration is necessary because of the application that this will run on top of. Apparently the users can't agree on where to put certain windows and such, so they have to calibrate every time they start.

I used HotKeySet and I now have it working perfectly. Strangely enough, since I started using AutoIT just yesterday, HotKeySet is pretty much the one thing I've used more than anything else. But for whatever reason I didn't even think to use it in this case. Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Unfortunately the calibration is necessary because of the application that this will run on top of.  Apparently the users can't agree on where to put certain windows and such, so they have to calibrate every time they start.

I used HotKeySet and I now have it working perfectly.  Strangely enough, since I started using AutoIT just yesterday, HotKeySet is pretty much the one thing I've used more than anything else.  But for whatever reason I didn't even think to use it in this case.  Thanks for your help.

Ryan

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the application uses default MS controls, rather than creating it's own, you can use controlclick/controlsend to send information to the controls they'd be clicking on or typing in, regardless of where on the desktop they have the window situated. thus eliminating the need for the calibration.

If the application uses default MS controls, rather than creating it's own, you can use controlclick/controlsend to send information to the controls they'd be clicking on or typing in, regardless of where on the desktop they have the window situated.  thus eliminating the need for the calibration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So how do I find out if the application uses default MS controls? I mean, to me it looks pretty "default", just a bunch of intertwined tables and such. But I don't know anything about sending information to controls, aside from just clicking them then sending data. I would love to be able to do this without calibration if at all possible.

So how do I find out if the application uses default MS controls?  I mean, to me it looks pretty "default", just a bunch of intertwined tables and such.  But I don't know anything about sending information to controls, aside from just clicking them then sending data.  I would love to be able to do this without calibration if at all possible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

check out 'controlclick()' and 'controlsend()'. you may also want to look at 'controlsettext()'. actually, maybe just go to the index tab in your helpfile and type in 'control' and check out the things listed. good stuff.