How to interact with an API that uses GET and POST?

I am going to attempt to have my autoit script do some Cisco Unity Voicemail operations as part of the script. (Creating a user's voicemail box, setting the voicemail PIN, etc)

Here is a link to the API examples given by Cisco.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unity_Connection_Provisioning_Interface_(CUPI)_API_--_Examples_of_Basic_Operations#Creating_a_User

However I don't know how I go about running a command that takes advantage of those GET and POST commands, or how to pass the other data (the XML string, etc)

Did you search the Forum? I know for a fact if you search HEAD, GET & POST you will see a ton of examples.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

That's one of the UDFs I use and would have come up in the search.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Did you search the Forum? I know for a fact if you search HEAD, GET & POST you will see a ton of examples.

I have searched and don't understand a single example I've found.

I'm not trying to upload pictures or login to imgur like other threads I have found.

I'm just trying to follow the API I've linked to but don't understand what exactly is needed to accomplish things. Is there any example of code you know of that is actually using winHTTP to POST that XML data that I have linked to?

• 2 weeks later...

Did you not look at the help file accompanied with WinHttp? Not all of them are for posting images, I can assure you of that.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

Alright, I'm really trying here, but this code doesn't return anything.

Following the API's example for a simple GET request:

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_Unity_Connection_Provisioning_Interface_%28CUPI%29_API_--_Examples_of_Basic_Operations#Reading_a_User.27s_Information

#include "WinHttp.au3"

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)

; Authentication data
Global $sUsername = "myuser"
Global $sPassword = "mypass"

; Address
Global $sAddress = "10.128.2.6"

; Initialize and get session handle
Global $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen()

; Get connection handle
Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $sAddress)

; Request
Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", "/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05")

; Send it
_WinHttpSendRequest($hRequest)

; Wait for the response
_WinHttpReceiveResponse($hRequest)

; See what's returned
Global $sHeader = _WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest)
ConsoleWrite($sHeader & @CRLF)

; Close open handles and exit
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest)
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect)
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)

EDIT:

If I change this line

Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", "/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05")

To

Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", "http://10.128.2.6/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05")

I get the following output.

HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 23:40:14 GMT
Content-Length: 2204
Content-Type: text/html;charset=utf-8
Server:

However I get this output when also trying other API GET's from the docWiki as well.

@guinness, maybe now that I've posted code you can stop telling me to look at the help file and help me troubleshoot. Because honestly, the helpfile for WinHttp is not very intuitive for someone new to working with HTTP API's

Edited by kor

@guinness, maybe now that I've posted code you can stop telling me to look at the help file and help me troubleshoot. Because honestly, the helpfile for WinHttp is not very intuitive for someone new to working with HTTP API's

Yeh, I'll stop. Good luck with your project. Edited by guinness

UDF List:

On second thought I will give you a clue, try _WinHttpCrackUrl and then use the array that is returned to pass to the following functions.

Local $sURL = 'YOUR_URL'
Local $aWinHttpCrack = _WinHttpCrackUrl($sURL)

; Open the handles.
Local $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen()
Local $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $aWinHttpCrack[2], $aWinHttpCrack[3])
Local $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, Default, $aWinHttpCrack[6] & $aWinHttpCrack[7])

Also, the help file is pretty detailed with WinHttp.au3, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I don't understand. Are you wanting me to put your code somewhere inside my own code? If so, where?

Or is your code meant to be stand alone? If so, it isn't working. I get a "subscript used with non array variable" error.

I don't understand. Are you wanting me to put your code somewhere inside my own code? If so, where?

Or is your code meant to be stand alone? If so, it isn't working. I get a "subscript used with non array variable" error.

It wasn't a working example, I was giving you advice to which function calls you should overwrite in your example. Did you change YOUR_URL to the full working URL in the API documentation?

UDF List:

I will give an example of what you should have done, plus I have no way to test this, but you understand that, right?

#include "WinHttp.au3"

; Authentication data

; guinness provided me with a way to crack the URL.
Global $sURL = 'YOUR_URL'; This needs to be changed.
Global $aWinHttpCrack = _WinHttpCrackUrl($sURL)
If @error Then Exit MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', 'An error occurred.')

; Address
; Global $sAddress = "10.128.2.6" ; I don't need anymore as I was showed to split the URL.

; Get connection handle
; Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $sAddress)
Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $aWinHttpCrack[2], $aWinHttpCrack[3]) ; guinness provided this for me.

; Request
; Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", "/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05")
Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, Default, $aWinHttpCrack[6] & $aWinHttpCrack[7]) ; The URL is split into parts. By guinness.
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

#include "WinHttp.au3"
#include "array.au3"

; Authentication data

; guinness provided me with a way to crack the URL.
Global $sURL = 'http://10.128.2.6/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05'; This needs to be changed.
Global $aWinHttpCrack = _WinHttpCrackUrl($sURL)
If @error Then ConsoleWrite("error")

; Address
; Global $sAddress = "10.128.2.6" ; I don't need anymore as I was showed to split the URL.

; Get connection handle
; Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $sAddress)
Global $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $aWinHttpCrack[2], $aWinHttpCrack[3]) ; guinness provided this for me.

; Request
; Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, "GET", "/vmrest/users/0b443f70-a789-4fa0-8fc1-9f23ffc8ef05")
Global $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, Default, $aWinHttpCrack[6] & $aWinHttpCrack[7]) ; The URL is split into parts. By guinness.

;_ArrayDisplay($hRequest)
; See what's returned
;Global $sHeader = _WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest)
ConsoleWrite($hRequest & @CRLF)

; Close open handles and exit
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest)
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect)
_WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)

returns 

0x007C34B0

You might want to test what the $sHeader variable contains.

UDF List:

I can't try the code myself, as you know. So you will have to add error checking.

UDF List:

You can see an example of using WinHttp where it's not all about uploading images.

Code:

Edited by guinness

UDF List: