mustdeclarevars help

Hi All,

I'm trying to assure that all my AutoIt programs have their variables declared.  Adding the line

Opt("MustDeclareVars", 2)

at the start of each program accomplishes this, but I'd like to add it to my user properties file to eliminate this step.  I've tried opening that file from within SciTE (the file is empty), adding that line, and saving it.  However the program:

$var = 1

continues to compile without any errors/warnings.  I also tried adding the line autoitsetoptions("mustdeclarevars",2), but was met with the same result.  Can someone assist?  Perhaps I'm using incorrect syntax, or not pointing to the proper user properties file.

Thanks in advance.

I think there is no way to set the option for all (existing and new) scripts. Either use an include file that you add to every script or modify the SciTE template that is used when you create a new script.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Have a look at using abbreviations. You can set your own by opening SciTE Config (in Tools) >> Other Tools >> Run Abbrev Manager.

Edit: You need SciTE4AutoIt3 the full installer. I personally use...which runs Au3Check with advanced parameters.

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Au3Check_Parameters=-d -w 1 -w 2 -w 3 -w- 4 -w 5 -w 6 -w- 7
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks for the replies.  I think modifying the SciTE template might be the best solution for me right now.  But how do I do that exactly?  I see how I can right click in Windows Explorer, select New-->AutoIt v3 Script, and have it open a new script that appears to be a template.  But how do I tell AutoIt to load this script every time I open a new script?  When I make changes to this template (i.e. add the "Opt("MustDeclareVars", 2)" line), save it, and open a new script, the new template does not appear to load.

Did you search for template.au3 in the AutoIt directory? More importantly why do you think 2 is a valid flag?

As I said using Au3Check with the advanced parameters is a lot neater than using optional flags.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Did you search for template.au3 in the AutoIt directory?

I found a template.au3 in my C:WindowsShellNew directory.  I tried editing and saving this though, but opening a new script still does not have the modifications implemented.

edit:  the *only* template.au3 I found was in my C:WindowsShellNew directory.

More importantly why do you think 2 is a valid flag?

Good question--it didn't look right to me either.  I've had that snippet of code in my script for a while now, and don't remember how I arrived at the '2' parameter.  And searching for help on 'mustdeclarevars' didn't turn up anything of use.  But it worked, so I kept it in.  Testing the parameter '1,' I see that is acceptable, and using it is probably best practice.

As I said using Au3Check with the advanced parameters is a lot neater than using optional flags.

Well I avoided the Au3Check suggestion because I'd never used or heard of it before, so learning it seemed like it would be less efficient than modifying the template.  If you'll be patient though and walk me through it, I'm happy to try and learn.  I downloaded the latest version of SciTE, and see Tools-->SyntaxCheck Prod.  I assume this is Au3check?  But how do modify Au3Check's parameters, then tell AutoIt to run Au3Check every time I compile a script?

Edited by cag8f

I found a template.au3 in my C:WindowsShellNew directory.  I tried editing and saving this though, but opening a new script still does not have the modifications implemented.

I would suggest to create the template.au3 in the AutoIt directory.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Just add that line (I posted) to the top of your script and hit the key combo Ctrl + F5.

This is what the AutoIt wrapper line passes to Au3Check. Also Au3Check is by default included with AutoIt.

• -q : quiet (only error/warn output)
      -d : as Opt("MustDeclareVars", 1)
      -w 1: already included file (on)
      -w 2: missing #comments-end (on)
      -w 3: already declared var (off)
      -w 4: local var used in global scope (off) ; Disabled in the line above
      -w 5: local var declared but not used (off)
      -w 6: warn when using Dim (off)
      -w 7: warn when passing Const or expression on ByRef param(s) (on) ; Disabled in the line above.

UDF List:

In theory you could, but F5 is a shortcut for 'Go' or running the script. Why would you want to override that?

Edit: Also when you hit go F5 and that line is in the script it will check your code.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

But I still have to add that line of code to every script I write, correct?  The goal of this research is to avoid having to manually enter a line of code every time I write a new script.

When you create a new file what does it look liek? Try and search for that file in the AutoIt/SciTE directory.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Moderators

cag8f,

Another way to approach this is to have a SciTE abbreviation which holds all the code you want in a default script.  I have several basic layouts and can just insert them into an empty script with a few keystrokes.  Look in SciTEConfig for the "Run Abbrev Manager" button under the "Other Tools" tab. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

I suggested before but they didn't seem to take that approach.

UDF List:

When you create a new file what does it look liek? Try and search for that file in the AutoIt/SciTE directory.

--when I double click AutoIt3.exe, I am prompted to select a script to run.

--when I double click SciTe.exe, SciTE opens with all of the scripts it had open upon closing its previous session.

--when I right click in Windows Explorer and create a new AutoIt Script, SciTE opens C:WindowsShellNewTemplate.au3.

--when I create a new script from within SciTE, a new completely blank script is opened, not C:WindowsShellNewTemplate.au3.

cag8f,

I have several basic layouts and can just insert them into an empty script with a few keystrokes.

So you still have to enter keystrokes to insert that code into every new script?  If so, that isn't what I'm looking for (that's already what I'm doing).  I'm looking for the code to be automatically entered every time I create a new script.

Did you copy template.au3 to the AutoIt directory? If you then open a new script in SciTE this template is used.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Did you copy template.au3 to the AutoIt directory? If you then open a new script in SciTE this template is used.

Yes I did, and experience the exact same behavior I listed above.  I also tried copying template.au3 to the SciTE directory, with the same results.

For arguments sake did you try to overwrite the file in ShellNew?

UDF List:

For arguments sake did you try to overwrite the file in ShellNew?

Yes I did, and also tried re-naming that file and creating a new template.au3 in ShellNew.  Both were met with the same results.

I looked at the AutoIt installer and it appears that Template.au3 is the file that is copied to the new folder.

Does it look like this?

#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.3.8.1
 Author:         myName

Script Function:
    Template AutoIt script.

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here
Edited by guinness

UDF List: