InetGetSize returns 0, though sometimes it will return a value greater than 0.

Go to solution Solved by trancexx,

This is the first time I've come across InetGetSize returning 0, I have an example below (though sometimes it will report a size greater than 0.) Having done a bit of research on the Forum, it appears that it used to be a bug in InetGetSize, though I have a WinHttp version which returns exactly the same result as InetGetSize, so I doubt this is a bug with InetGetSize today.

I'm wondering is this a flaw in the header that is sent from the server or the functions? I'm going with the server, but would like to know your thoughts too.

AutoIt v3.3.8.1.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>
#include 'WinHttp.au3' ; From the examples section. By trancexx.

Local $sURL = 'http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=1&mimetype=plaintext'
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', InetGetSize($sURL))

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', _InetGetSize($sURL))

; WinHttp version. By guinness - 2013.
Func _InetGetSize($sURL)
    Local $iInetSize = 0

; Crack the URL into parts.
    Local Enum $eDomain = 2, $ePage = 6, $eExtraInfo
    Local $aURL = _WinHttpCrackUrl($sURL)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, $iInetSize)
    EndIf

; Initialize and get a session handle
    Local $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen()

; Get a connection handle.
    Local $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $aURL[$eDomain])

; Make a request.
    Local $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, Default, $aURL[$ePage] & $aURL[$eExtraInfo])

; Send a request. Specify additional data to send too.
    _WinHttpSendRequest($hRequest, Default)

; Wait for the response.
    _WinHttpReceiveResponse($hRequest)

ConsoleWrite('DEBUG:' & @CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite(_WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest) & @CRLF)

; Query the header for content length.
    $iInetSize = Int(_WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest, $WINHTTP_QUERY_CONTENT_LENGTH))

; Close handles
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest)
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect)
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)

Return $iInetSize
EndFunc   ;==>_InetGetSize
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I do not believe http works in the same fashion as InetGet*, and work directly on a file.

I'd suggest that InetGetSize would want to query the actual size on disk which the server will not serve up for a php file.

EDIT:

Of course that does not satisfy the apparent erratic behaviour of both functions in your code, so I'd be wrong.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Thanks JohnOne. I presume this is InetGetSize >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa384238(v=vs.85).aspx with the query flag HTTP_QUERY_CONTENT_LENGTH.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It is as well.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

guinness,

I run into the same depending on where I am scraping.  I attributted it to this

Not all servers will correctly give the file size, especially when using a proxy server.

from the Help file and assumed that was the problem (maybe I jumped to that conclusion too quickly?).

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

• Solution

This is the first time I've come across InetGetSize returning 0, I have an example below (though sometimes it will report a size greater than 0.) Having done a bit of research on the Forum, it appears that it used to be a bug in InetGetSize, though I have a WinHttp version which returns exactly the same result as InetGetSize, so I doubt this is a bug with InetGetSize today.

I'm wondering is this a flaw in the header that is sent from the server or the functions? I'm going with the server, but would like to know your thoughts too.

AutoIt v3.3.8.1.

#include <Array.au3>
#include <Constants.au3>
#include 'WinHttp.au3' ; From the examples section. By trancexx.

Local $sURL = 'http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=hosts&showintro=1&mimetype=plaintext'
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', InetGetSize($sURL))

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', _InetGetSize($sURL))

; WinHttp version. By guinness - 2013.
Func _InetGetSize($sURL)
    Local $iInetSize = 0

; Crack the URL into parts.
    Local Enum $eDomain = 2, $ePage = 6, $eExtraInfo
    Local $aURL = _WinHttpCrackUrl($sURL)
    If @error Then
        Return SetError(1, 0, $iInetSize)
    EndIf

; Initialize and get a session handle
    Local $hOpen = _WinHttpOpen()

; Get a connection handle.
    Local $hConnect = _WinHttpConnect($hOpen, $aURL[$eDomain])

; Make a request.
    Local $hRequest = _WinHttpOpenRequest($hConnect, Default, $aURL[$ePage] & $aURL[$eExtraInfo])

; Send a request. Specify additional data to send too.
    _WinHttpSendRequest($hRequest, Default)

; Wait for the response.
    _WinHttpReceiveResponse($hRequest)

ConsoleWrite('DEBUG:' & @CRLF)
    ConsoleWrite(_WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest) & @CRLF)

; Query the header for content length.
    $iInetSize = Int(_WinHttpQueryHeaders($hRequest, $WINHTTP_QUERY_CONTENT_LENGTH))

; Close handles
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hRequest)
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hConnect)
    _WinHttpCloseHandle($hOpen)

Return $iInetSize
EndFunc   ;==>_InetGetSize

It's not flaw, everything is ok.

If you look at the whole header you'll se that transfer-encoding is "chunked". That means the server sends data in chunks which are separated by separator and the whole transfer ends with zero size mark + double-@CRLF.

Size is known in advance when Content-Length is specified as you show in your WinHttp example.

♡♡♡

eMyvnE

Thanks trancexx.

Reading material:: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chunked_transfer_encoding

UDF List: