Breaking out of multiple nested loops

Go to solution Solved by nitekram,

I have a program that has a main that calls a body function. The main function is just a Sleep, to keep the program alive, and the body() does all the good stuff. Within body() I have more calls to functions. Some of those functions call even more functions. I am wondering if there is a way to break out of whatever function is currently running and break back to main(). Because of nesting of functions, I don't know how to break out of all of them to get back to main, nomatter how deeply nested the current function is.

Thanks.

oh ok. i meant function

case 1:

main

function1

function 2

function 3

case 2:

main

function 1

function 2

Is there a way to break back to the main function in both cases.

• Solution

Maybe an easy way, create a hotkey, or within all your functions, make a condition statement that takes you back to the main function. You have to have a reason to call your main function, whatever that might be.

The more information that you provide, the better answer you are going to get. I would start by stating what the main function does, and why you want to get back to it?

All by me:

"Sometimes you have to go back to where you started, to get to where you want to go." 

"Everybody catches up with everyone, eventually" 

"As you teach others, you are really teaching yourself."

From my dad

"Do not worry about yesterday, as the only thing that you can control is tomorrow."

WindowsError.gif

WIKI | Tabs; | Arrays; | Strings | Wiki Arrays | How to ask a Question | Forum Search | FAQ | Tutorials | Original FAQ | ONLINE HELP | UDF's Wiki | AutoIt PDF

AutoIt Snippets | Multple Guis | Interrupting a running function | Another Send

StringRegExp | StringRegExp Help | RegEXTester | REG TUTOR | Reg TUTOT 2

AutoItSetOption | Macros | AutoIt Snippets | Wrapper | Autoit  Docs

SCITE | SciteJump | BB | MyTopics | Programming | UDFs | AutoIt 123 | UDFs Form | UDF

Learning to script | Tutorials | Documentation | IE.AU3 | Games? | FreeSoftware | Path_Online | Core Language

Programming Tips

Excel Changes

ControlHover.UDF

GDI_Plus

Draw_On_Screen

GDI Basics

GDI_More_Basics

GDI Rotate

GDI Graph

GDI  CheckExistingItems

GDI Trajectory

Replace $ghGDIPDll with $__g_hGDIPDll

DLL 101?

Array via Object

GDI Swimlane

GDI Plus French 101 Site

GDI Examples UEZ

GDI Basic Clock

GDI Detection

Ternary operator

lingo214,

One possible technique...

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <StaticConstants.au3>

#AutoIt3Wrapper_Add_Constants=n

local $gui010   =   guicreate('',400,80)
local $btn010   =   guictrlcreatebutton('Hit to goto random function (1,2,3 or 4)',20,20,360,50)
                    guisetstate()

while 1
    switch guigetmsg()
        case $gui_event_close
            Exit
        case $btn010
            execute('_' & random(1,4,1) & '()')
    EndSwitch
WEnd

func _1()

ConsoleWrite('Entering func 1' & @LF)

while 1
        switch inputbox('In Function 1','Enter which function to go to (1 - 4, or 9 to return to msgloop)')
            case 9
                return 0
            case 1
                if _1() = 0 then return 0
            case 2
                if _2() = 0 then return 0
            case 3
                if _3() = 0 then return 0
            case 4
                if _4() = 0 then return 0
        endswitch
    wend

EndFunc

func _2()

ConsoleWrite('entering func 2' & @LF)

while 1
        switch inputbox('In Function 2','Enter which function to go to (1 - 4, or 9 to return to msgloop)')
            case 9
                return 0
            case 1
            case 2
            case 3
            case 4
        endswitch
    wend

EndFunc

func _3()

ConsoleWrite('entering func 3' & @LF)

while 1
        switch inputbox('In Function 3','Enter which function to go to (1 - 4, or 9 to return to msgloop)')
            case 9
                return 0
            case 1
            case 2
            case 3
            case 4
        endswitch
    wend

endfunc

func _4()

ConsoleWrite('entering func 4' & @LF)

while 1
        switch inputbox('In Function 4','Enter which function to go to (1 - 4, or 9 to return to msgloop)')
            case 9
                return 0
            case 1
            case 2
            case 3
            case 4
        endswitch
    wend

endfunc

kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks for the posts. I didn't know how to set the status as resolved. @nitekram that was exactly what I ended up doing. Thanks!

edit: it was for a timer because I need to keep checking a webpage but I keep forgetting. But then I have to change the timing between checks sometimes, so I needed a way to change the timer duration and reset back to the timer function.

Edited by lingo124

I'd be very careful just calling your main function from a function that was called by another function, which in turn was called by another function.

What can, and eventually will happen is what is called recursion, and in some circumstances can be fatal to your script.

You should always code into your script, a get out mechanism.

For example, main function performs some operation if the function it calls returns to its caller and sets @error to a specific value as does the function it calls, and the function it calls, etc...

One way of putting it, might be that, when your code returns to its main function or loop, recursion should be fully unwound.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

For my system the limit is currently 1899 calls in the stack.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I have my code as so

func main()

code

function

endfunc

func reset()

main()

endfunc

The function that calls main is at the top level of the script along with the main function. the reset function, which calls to main, is not located within main()

there should be no problem with recursion for that should there? The call to main would end the current main() and run main()?

edit: Oh so after 1899 calls to main the program will crash? If that is the case then I am not too worried because I wont be resetting that many times

Edited by lingo124

edit: Oh so after 1899 calls to main the program will crash? If that is the case then I am not too worried because I wont be resetting that many times

No. Crashing and AutoIt closing due to prevention of AutoIt crashing, is not AutoIt crashing.

That example isn't recursion...this is...

Global $iCount = 0

Example()

Func Example()
    $iCount += 1
    ConsoleWrite($iCount & @CRLF)
    Example()
EndFunc   ;==>Example

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

It is recursion, and if and when your script grows it will cause you problems.

Ask yourself at which point this code will exit.

_Main()

Func _Main()
    MsgBox(0,"Function", "_Main")
    func1()
    Exit 0
EndFunc

Func func1()
    MsgBox(0,"Function", "func1")
    func2()
    Exit 1
EndFunc

Func func2()
    MsgBox(0,"Function", "func2")
    func3()
    Exit 2
EndFunc

Func func3()
    MsgBox(0,"Function", "func3")
    _Main()
    Exit 3
EndFunc
Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Now that's a recursion example!

UDF List:

• Moderators

lingo124,

You might find the Recursion tutorial in the Wiki of interest. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area