validate domain with regexp

Go to solution Solved by guinness,

Hi

I'm trying to create a script that validates domain names, but I can't get it to work 100%

$string = "www.domain.com"
$Check = StringRegExp($string, '([w]{3}.[0-9|a-z|æøå|-]*.[a-z|co.uk]{0,5}|[0-9|a-z|æøå|-]*.[a-z|co.uk]{0,5})', 1)

It checks both with www. and without www.

The code works except if i type "www.domain.c" then it still validates but it shouldn't but I can't find out how to fix it.

Can any of you help me :)

Cheers

c;") /Rex

• Solution

Does it have to be a regular expression? In WinAPIEx there is a function called _WinAPI_UrlIs, but if it does have to be a regular expression then I use this...

#include <Constants.au3>

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', StringRegExp('www.autoitsript.com', '^([a-zA-Z0-9]([a-zA-Z0-9\-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,6}$') = 1)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Rex,

[a-z|co.uk]{0,5} doesn't do what you think it does. It's a character class for zero to five characters being either:

in the range a to z

or equal to a vertical bar

or letters c o u k (already covered by a-z)

or a dot

Reread defiition of a character class in PCRE (see in my signature for instance).

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

Does it have to be a regular expression? In WinAPIEx there is a function called _WinAPI_UrlIs, but if it does have to be a regular expression then I use this...

#include <Constants.au3>

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', StringRegExp('www.autoitsript.com', '^([a-zA-Z0-9]([a-zA-Z0-9\-]{0,61}[a-zA-Z0-9])?\.)+[a-zA-Z]{2,6}$') = 1)

Hi thx for replying :)

And sry for this late reply :(

In what version of AutoIT is _WinAPI_Urlls in? I have v3.3.8.1 but can't find it in the help file :unsure:

But I think that it should be a Regex course I should use it to loade lines from windows hosts file, into an editor allowing the user to add or remove entries in it.

But your code helped me so much further that i now have an almost perfect way to get the lines witch only contains ip's and webaddressees also those who are commended out :)

Only thing i have troubles with is to get those witch don't contains an webaddress (localhost ect.).

My code so far is this

'([#0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+\.[0-9]+[[:space:]][[:alnum:]][[:alnum:]\-æøå.]{0,61}[[:alnum:]]?\.+[[:alpha:]]{2,6}$)',1)

But I could not have got there with out your code piece :thumbsup:

Cheers

c;") /Rex

That function is in WinAPIEx, you have to search in the Examples section for the UDF.

Search HOSTS and guinness as jchd, UEZ, Robjong and myself have discussed about parsing the HOSTS file quite a bit.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Validating and parsing are two different things in my book. You ideally should have mentioned your full intentions in your first post.

UDF List:

Rex,

[a-z|co.uk]{0,5} doesn't do what you think it does. It's a character class for zero to five characters being either:

in the range a to z

or equal to a vertical bar

or letters c o u k (already covered by a-z)

or a dot

Reread defiition of a character class in PCRE (see in my signature for instance).

Hi

Thx for replying, and sry for the late reply.

Year I had totally misread the help file regarding the definitions  :>  :oops:  , My understanding at the | thing was that it was same as OR, but after rereading at goggling I came to understand why the last part didn't work :mad2:  stupid me.

I have read the info at your webpage, and think that I now understand pcre a little better :) thanks for the extra info on the subject. :thumbsup:

Validating and parsing are two different things in my book. You ideally should have mentioned your full intentions in your first post.

I know that i should sry for that.

However the final script should validate the address the user enters to check if it's a valid addr. thats why i named my post as i did, but your right I should have mensed the propose of my code in my first post, my bad :ermm:

Cheers

c;") /Rex

That function is in WinAPIEx, you have to search in the Examples section for the UDF.

Search HOSTS and guinness as jchd, UEZ, Robjong and myself have discussed about parsing the HOSTS file quite a bit.

Okay, I only looked in the help file under WinAPI.

Hmm I did search for HOST at the forum, but didn't find much that helped me.

But after searching "HOSTS and guinness" I did find the threat, and are reading it now :)

cheers

c;") /Rex

Edit: Extra info

Edited by Rex

Ah OK.

For others who might come come across this in the future.

WinAPIEx >> '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

HOSTS discussion >> '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

UDF List:

Ah OK.

For others who might come come across this in the future.

WinAPIEx >> '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

HOSTS discussion >> '?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

:mad2: I used 3 days to try to get my code to work before I gave up and crying cried for help :lol:

And if just had searched a little better I could have spared 2½ day, but what it did help me understand regex a little better. though I didn't find a way to get entries in HOSTS like localhost

Your code does, but it strips the ip - and I need both the ip and the address, also I wanned to include those address that are commended out.

And again thx so much for help.

Now all I have to is find a way to split the ip and addr in to separate stings so I can add em to my listview ;) but but that's another story :D

cheers

c;") /Rex

:Edit I might need a little more help with this darn code :

Edited by Rex

Seems you and I are working on quite similar projects at the moment, though I personally can't reveal much about mine at this stage in the game.

UDF List:

Seems you and I are working on quite similar projects at the moment, though I personally can't reveal much about mine at this stage in the game.

My project is just a try to simplify the add/remove function in HOSTS file.

The company where some of my domains is hosted, don't supply there customers with a temp www.addr that the can use to get to there site, until there domain is up and running. though if one searches there knowledgebase one could find a guide on how to change the HOSTS file to get the new domain addr, before the dns is updated.

That I wrote to em at told em that I found it very unprof., not only be course they don't supply a temp addr but that the then don't anywhere in there welcome mail writes that one can "just" edit the HOSTS file to bypass the missing dns update.

So I thought that I would supply em with a simple script, that they could supply to there customers so they could update the hosts file with ease.

Nothing fancy, only a simple add/remove addr to HOSTS.

I'm guessing that your project is so much more, if one takes your previous work in mind :graduated:;) .

But I'm looking forth to see the final result of your work :construction: when time comes :)

Cheers

c;") /Rex

Glad you got it working. 

My project will be surfacing soon, but not on the AutoIt Forum this time. -_0

UDF List: