Retrieving text from a class

I know how to use WinGetClassList() to return a list of classes in a window.  And I know how to use WinGetText() to return the text in a window.  But how can I get the text from each of the classes that WinGetClassList() returns?  I tried ControlGetText("title", "text", controlID) but it returned a blank string and @error=1, indicating some error.  I'm reasonably sure my input parameters are correct as I used the AutoIt Window Info Tool to obtain each, and those parameters return expected results with other functions.  Thoughts?  Maybe I'm mixing up 'class' and 'control?'

What did you try? That would be a big help first of all.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Right.  I'm trying to copy the text in a certain third party Windows application of mine (Win 7, 32-bit).  The text is in a list box format.  If I try to use the AutoIt Windows Info Tool, the 'text' tab is blank (as is the 'hidden text' tab).  I was told that the text might be in a sub-class, and that I could use WinGetClassList() to list the sub-classes in a window in order to retrieve their text.  I was able to obtain the list of sub-classes, but am having trouble retrieving the text from each.  ControlGetText() yields the aforementioned results.  Do you need any more information?

Is this related to your other post?

Do you need any more information?

Imagine you don't know the problem and re-read it again. You haven't showed any code attempt, what program it is you're automating, if it's your GUI or another application (you stated third party but "mine" in the same sentence.)

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Is this related to your other post?

Yes.  And both are related to a recent previous post of mine.

You haven't showed any code attempt

I didn't feel that was necessary, but here is the relevant code I used:

WinGetClassList("title", "text")

where "title" and "text" were obtained from the Windows Info Tool and are the title and text of the relevant window.  That code returned ~20 class names, some identical. When I attempt to retrieve the text from one of those classes (e.g. classname1), I use the code:

ControlGetText("title", "text", "[CLASS:classname1]"

where "title" and "text" are identical to the WinGetClassList() call.  That returns a blank string and @error=1.

what program it is you're automating, if it's your GUI or another application (you stated third party but "mine" in the same sentence.)

I did not create this application--I purchased it from a third party.

I didn't feel that was necessary, but here is the relevant code I used:

WinGetClassList("title", "text")

I know the parameters of WinGetClassList, but I'm interested in the Au3Info and the actual values you used.

I can't help you anymore. Good luck.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

I know the parameters of WinGetClassList, but I'm interested in the Au3Info and the actual values you used.

OK here are the actual values:

title --> [CLASS:AppInfoFrameClass]

text --> ""

classname1 --> AppInfoButtonClass

OK, so use ControlGetHandle and the function I mentioned in the other thread. 

UDF List:

I didn't mention ControlGetText.

UDF List:

Right.  So I'm confused how ControlGetHandle() will acquire the text of the class for me.  The help page says it will return the "HWND/Handle value."  I'm unclear how I would then acquire the text of the class?  Would I use WinGetText() with the relevant HWND value as the "title" parameter?

Use the hWnd to pass to the _GUICtrlListBox_ function. 

UDF List:

What about using _GUICtrlListBox_SetSel() instead of _GUICtrlListBox_SelItemRange()?  With the former I can set a parameter to -1 and have the function select all the items in the list box.

Yeh that as well, but I was providing a clue as to where to look.

UDF List:

OK thanks.  This may take a day or two for me to try out.  I didn't mention this, but I previously tried  _GUICtrlListBox_SetSel() and was met with unexpected results.  However in that attempt I used [CLASS:AppInfoFrameClass] as the $hWnd parameter.  Also, this window may not exactly fit the qualifications for a list box.  If necessary, I'll send the details in my next follow up.

OK I obtained the correct handle ($hWnd) for the list box and ran:

_GUICtrlListBox_SetSel($hWnd, -1)

and separately, 

_GUICtrlListBox_SelItemRange($hWnd, 3, 5)

The result for each was 'True,' but no items in the list box were selected.  I also tried:

_GUICtrlListBox_SetSel($hWnd)

but that returned 0.  Thoughts?  Maybe I should give more details on the list box in question.  This is a window that displays chat messages in a vertical ticker style and list box format.  The older lines of chat are continuously lost off the top of the screen, and newer lines are continuously added at the bottom.  Might that alter how I should retrieve items from this window?

What's the application?

UDF List:

I realize that could help resolve my issue, but I'd rather not say right now.

In my previous post I indicated that I tried _GUICtrlListBox_SetSel($hWnd).  I meant to say that I tried _GUICtrlListBox_GetCount($hWnd), and it returned 0.  So did _GUICtrlListBox_GetListBoxInfo($hWnd), _GUICtrlListBox_GetListGetTopIndex($hWnd), and _GUICtrlListView_GetItemCount($hWnd).  Does this indicate that I might not be working with a list box as defined by Windows or AutoIt?  Or might I be using one of the non-standard controls mentioned on the AutoIt control page?

I dunno, sorry. Good luck.

UDF List: