No idea on how to rectify this problem

Go to solution Solved by water,

I think there is some problem in the func code. I can't seem to get what I want.

Is there a way to ignore the error and proceed with the script.

I do remember that Vba has this "On error resume next".

Is there a way to ignore this error in autoit even when $rng = 0?

You need to add a COM error handler to your script. See ObjEvent in the help file for an example.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

So far I have able to trap the com error using the method you suggest to me.

However, it will clear the whole page of my sheet that does not contain printarea.

Can you point it out where is my mistake?

MyErrFunc will trap the error and continue to execute the code for that specific line which I don't want.

Is it possible to resume to next loop after error encounter(what I mean is just skip those error line??

Is there any ways to suppress that error and proceed?

Func MyErrFunc($oMyError)

Local $HexNumber
Local $strMsg

$HexNumber = Hex($oMyError.Number, 8) 
$strMsg = "Error Number: " & $HexNumber & @CRLF 
$strMsg &= "WinDescription: " & $oMyError.WinDescription & @CRLF 
$strMsg &= "Script Line: " & $oMyError.ScriptLine & @CRLF 
MsgBox(0, "ERROR", $strMsg)
SetError(1)

EndFunc

Func _ClearOutsidePrintArea()
Edited by soonyee91

If you trap the error AutoIt simply continues with the next statement.

So you still have to check for success after you retrieved the PrintArea:

Local $rng =$oExcel.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea
If @error or Not IsObj($rng) Then Return SetError(1,0,'')

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Like you said:"If you trap the error AutoIt simply continues with the next statement."

How should I trap the error and simply skip it and continue with the next statement?

My code structure is open the selected opened workbok.

Then perform this clearPrintarea function .

But the problem is the code will not sustain empty printarea and do not suppress the code or skip.

Can you provide a better solution?

Or should I do in this way?? create 2 function, One is with the condition that has print area, another is with the condition that do not has the print area

Edited by soonyee91

Some detailed information is needed.

• Which version of Excel do you run?
  • Which version of AutoIt do you run?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I'm running Excel 2010. If no PrintArea is set by the user then the whole sheet is returned. So no error handler seems to be needed.

This works fine for me with/without a pre-set PrintArea by the user.

#include <Excel.au3>
Global $oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen(@ScriptDir & "\_Excel4.xls")
;$oExcel.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "A1:B2" ; manually set a PrintArea
_ClearOutsidePrintArea()
Exit

Local $rng = $oExcel.Range($oExcel.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea)
    If @error Or Not IsObj($rng) Then Return SetError(1, 0, '')
    Local $FirstEmptyCol = $rng.Columns.Count + 1
    Local $FirstEmptyRow = $rng.Rows.Count + $rng.Cells(1).Row
    $oExcel.Range($oExcel.Cells(1, $FirstEmptyCol), $oExcel.Cells(1, 256)).Entirecolumn.clear
    $oExcel.Range($oExcel.Cells($FirstEmptyRow, 1), $oExcel.Cells($oExcel.Rows.Count, 1)).EntireRow.clear
EndFunc   ;==>_ClearOutsidePrintArea
Edited by water

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Solution

A small correction is needed. If the worksheet is empty, then a COM error will be raised. So now the script has to look like:

#include <Excel.au3>
Global $oErrorHandler = ObjEvent("AutoIt.Error", "_ErrFunc")
Global $oExcel = _ExcelBookOpen(@ScriptDir & "\_Excel4.xls")
;$oExcel.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea = "A1:B2" ; manually set a PrintArea
_ClearOutsidePrintArea()
Exit

Local $rng = $oExcel.Range($oExcel.ActiveSheet.PageSetup.PrintArea)
    If @error Or Not IsObj($rng) Then Return SetError(1, 0, '')
    Local $FirstEmptyCol = $rng.Columns.Count + 1
    Local $FirstEmptyRow = $rng.Rows.Count + $rng.Cells(1).Row
    $oExcel.Range($oExcel.Cells(1, $FirstEmptyCol), $oExcel.Cells(1, 256)).Entirecolumn.clear
    $oExcel.Range($oExcel.Cells($FirstEmptyRow, 1), $oExcel.Cells($oExcel.Rows.Count, 1)).EntireRow.clear
EndFunc   ;==>_ClearOutsidePrintArea

Func _ErrFunc()
EndFunc   ;==>_ErrFunc

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks man!!!! I when use your script and run it. No problem occurs.

However when I run on my original script problem comes out.

My final solution is moved my part of code to suite yours. I think most likely there is something wrong in my part.

After this moving section. Everything is solve. Thanks for guiding me all the way!!!

It has taken a few rounds but I'm glad that your problem could be solved :D

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki