Strange script behavior

Hi,   Greetings to all forum members

I don't know if I post in the correct forum section, sorry if I made a mistake

I have a strange behavior of myscript:

#RequireAdmin
Opt("ExpandEnvStrings", 1)
Opt("ExpandVarStrings", 1)

Local $bak = ClipGet()
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --find $bak$ --replace D:\ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --silent', "", @SW_HIDE)
(fnr is program to replace text strings)
When I run it from Scite editor or after I compiled it from windows prompt or double click, it works great,
but when I insert it in a batch file (that's what I need) I have the following error:
ERROR: The option --dir is mandatory, you must define it.

This is my batch file:

FOR %%n IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%n:\partizionedati.txt SET DiscoD=%%n:
findstr .. %DiscoD%\dati.txt |clip
start %DiscoD%\myscript.exe

here's how i'd go about it:

replace Run("Your Command Line") with MsgBox(0,"title","Your Command Line")

run it 1) in Scite, 2) compiled, and 3) from batch. this will give you indication if anything is different.

my guess would be %USERPROFILE% not being properly translated to absolute path.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

The script works well when I run it from Scite editor, windows prompt or double click, but it doesn't work when I lunch it from a batch file.

I replaced %USERPROFILE% with C:UsersVincenzo, but the problem is the same.

Is there an alternative syntax for  "fnr --cl --find $bak$ --replace D: --dir C:UsersVincenzososttext --fileMask *.* --silent"  ?

MsgBox tell me:

fnr --cl --find D:
 --replace T: --dir C:UsersVincenzososttext --fileMask *.* --silent

after "D:" ($bak$) it wraps. How to fix this?
Edited by trof

the point is this: is the MsgBox output different when launched from batch file, compared to when launched by other method?

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

Probably I understand that problem occurs when the clipboard is empty.
Probably findstr is not working in the batch file.

the point is this: is the MsgBox output different when launched from batch file, compared to when launched by other method?

When the clipboard is empty the MsgBox output is the same and is:

fnr --cl --find D:

--replace T: --dir C:UsersVincenzososttext --fileMask *.* --silent

When the clipboard is full is different

I'd like to override findstr
Is there a way to send to clipbord the content of a text file?

ClipPut()

there are more advanced functions also, see the help file.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

what's wrong with FileRead() to read the text file into a string, then ClipPut(), like this:

ClipPut(FileRead("textfile.txt"))

being a newbie is not enough justification to avoid thinking...

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

well, back to square #1 then. i did not understand from your description: at the first time, is there a difference between the output between the 3 modes of launch? can you post screenshots of that difference, indicate when it works and when not?

also, in the batch file, try remove the "start" command.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Since I add to AutoIt script ClipPut(FileRead("textfile.txt")), it doesn't work at all.

I even removed "start" from my batch file.

I tried with fart, another replace strings program. MsgBox show the correct command line but the script doesn't replace strings at all

#RequireAdmin

ClipPut(FileRead("D:\dati.txt"))
Local $bak = ClipGet()
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fart.exe -i %USERPROFILE%\sosttext\regD.reg $bak$ %DiscoD%\', "", @SW_HIDE)
MsgBox(0,"title","fart.exe -i %USERPROFILE%\sosttext\regD.reg $bak$ %DiscoD%\")

post-75864-0-79288800-1370258711_thumb.j

post-75864-0-34250900-1370258725_thumb.j

post-75864-0-52856600-1370258742_thumb.j

post-75864-0-17250800-1370259117_thumb.j

back to the original script, how about this: replace $bak$ with the following (the double-quotes may be unnecessary):

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --find "'&$bak&'" --replace D: --dir %USERPROFILE%sosttext --fileMask *.* --silent', "", @SW_HIDE)
Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

Why in the world are you copying the file to the clipboard just to read it back into another variable? Why not just read the file directly into the variable in the first place and avoid the clipboard all together?

Instead of:

Local $bak = ClipGet()
Use this:

Local $bak = FileRead("D:\dati.txt")

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Here is a working script

#RequireAdmin
Local $aSplit = StringSplit('D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z', ' '), _
        $sDrive = '', _
        $sUserName = @UserName
For $i = 1 To $aSplit[0]
    If FileExists($aSplit[$i] & ':\partizionedati.txt') Then
        $sDrive = $aSplit[$i] & ':\'
        Local $bak = FileRead("$sDrive$dati.txt")
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --replace $sDrive$ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --find $bak$"', "", @SW_HIDE)
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

The hard part of this script is made by user guinness

this is also good

#RequireAdmin
Local $aSplit = StringSplit('D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z', ' '), _
        $sDrive = '', _
        $sUserName = @UserName
For $i = 1 To $aSplit[0]
    If FileExists($aSplit[$i] & ':\partizionedati.txt') Then
        #include <Process.au3>
        ClipPut(FileRead("$sDrive$dati.txt"))
        Local $bak = ClipGet()
        Local $rc = _RunDos("fnr --cl --replace $sDrive$ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --find $bak$")
        MsgBox(0,"title","fnr --cl --replace $sDrive$ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --find $bak$")
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

this, very similar, but doesn't work

#RequireAdmin
        $sDrive = '', _
        $sUserName = @UserName
For $i = 1 To $aSplit[0]
    If FileExists($aSplit[$i] & ':\partizionedata.txt') Then
        ClipPut(FileRead("$sDrive$dati.txt"))
        Local $bak = ClipGet()
        Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --replace $sDrive$ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --find $bak$"', "", @SW_HIDE)
        MsgBox(0,"title","fnr --cl --replace $sDrive$ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --find $bak$")
        ExitLoop
    EndIf
Next

The problem was that, in the previous scripts, Autoit wraps after expanding $bak$ variable. So I put $bak$ at the end of the line.
But there some mysteries:

1)
  this script
#RequireAdmin

Local $bak = ClipGet()
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --find $bak$ --replace D:\ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --silent', "", @SW_HIDE)

works good when lunched from SciTE editor but it doesn't work when I run it from a batch file

2)
  this script works in SciTE editor

#RequireAdmin

Local $bak = ClipGet()
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --find $bak$ --replace T:\ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --silent', "", @SW_HIDE)

this (very similar) doesn't work
#RequireAdmin

Local $bak = ClipGet()
Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --find $bak$ --replace T:\ --dir %USERPROFILE%\sosttext --fileMask *.* --silent', "", @SW_HIDE)

orbs thank you very much, 
if you can, please explain these strange behaviors?
thanks BrewManNH

Try this with the Run line:

Run(@ComSpec & " /c " & 'fnr --cl --replace ' & $sDrive & ' --dir "'& @UserProfileDir & '\sosttext" --fileMask *.* --find ' &  $bak , "", @SW_HIDE)
This way you don't need to worry about the environment or autoit variable expansions, which you were doing wrong anyways.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Then I guess the answer should be obvious to you shouldn't it?

Don't change the order of the command line?