SoundPlay() over network

Hi All,

The code:

SoundPlay("C:Windowsmediatada.wav")

will correctly play the sound when running the script locally (Win7 32 bit, computer name="computer1").  However when I then transfer the script to a second computer (identical OS, computer name="computer2"), and run the script over the network from "computer1," the sound does not play.  The sound file is located in the exact same directory on each computer.  @computername resolves to "computer1" when I run the script from "computer1."  I am also sitting in front of each computer with the sound fully operational on both, so if AutoIt is trying to play the sound on "computer2," I should be able to hear it.  Am I doing something wrong, or is there some issue with playing a sound over a network?  In this case do I have to specify a full path name, including computer name?

How are you connecting to the other computer? Also, is that the entire script?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm connecting via a basic homegroup connection.  Edit:  using "computer1" I established a basic Windows homegroup, and "computer2" joined.  To run the script from "computer1," I open the homegroup on "computer1," connect to "computer2," and open the script located on "computer2."

And yes, that is the entire script.

Edited by cag8f

You should try:

Soundplay("\\COMPUTERNAME\c$\Windows\Media\tada.wav")

Where "COMPUTERNAME" is the name of the computer you want to play the file from.

Also make sure that Administrative shares are enabled on both computers.

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

You should try:

Where "COMPUTERNAME" is the name of the computer you want to play the file from.

Thanks.  That all sounds reasonable.  I'll give that shot and let you know.

You should try:

This won't work, it will play the sound file from the remote computer, but it will play it on the computer you're running the script on. If you're going to do that, you might as well play the same file from the local computer.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm connecting via a basic homegroup connection.  Edit:  using "computer1" I established a basic Windows homegroup, and "computer2" joined.  To run the script from "computer1," I open the homegroup on "computer1," connect to "computer2," and open the script located on "computer2."

And yes, that is the entire script.

Are you just connecting to the C: drive of computer2? I've never used homegroups before so I don't know what you're attempting, but the homegroup seems to be just another name for a network workgroup from what I'm reading.

This won't work, it will play the sound file from the remote computer, but it will play it on the computer you're running the script on. If you're going to do that, you might as well play the same file from the local computer.

I'd be happy to play the same file from the local computer.  That's preferred actually, and that's what I thought I was attempting.

Homegroups are just a fancy version of folder/printer sharing. You're only "connected" to the other computer's shared folders, you're running the script on the local computer and not the remote computer, if you want to run something on the remote computer you have to connect to it or run it using something like PSExec.

First make sure that the path to the file is correct, currently you have C:Windows, you should have C:Windows in there.

I want to play the local sound file on the local computer, but with a remotely housed script.  Is that possible?  If so, how?

You could try using a Client/Server, heres an example:

Server:

UDPstartup()
$INsocket = UDPBind("192.168.2.15", 1775)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit
$OUTsocket = UDPOpen("192.168.2.10", 1774)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit

While 1
    $data = UDPRecv($INsocket, 10000) ;Receive data
    If $data <> "" Then
        ToolTip($data, 0, 0) ;Display the sound
        $ret = SoundPlay($data) ;Play the sound
        Sleep(500) ;Wait for the client, also gives the tooltip time to display
        UDPSend($OUTsocket, $ret) ;Send the return value of SoundPlay()
        ToolTip("")
    EndIf
WEnd

Client:

UDPStartup()
$INsocket = UDPBind("192.168.2.10", 1774)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit
$OUTsocket = UDPOpen("192.168.2.15", 1775)
If @error <> 0 Then Exit

$Sound = InputBox("Sound Play", "Enter the location of the file to play", "C:\Windows\Media\tada.wav") ;Prompt the user for filename/path

UDPSend($OUTsocket, $Sound) ;Send the data
$timer = TimerInit() ;Timer to tell if the request times out

While TimerDiff($timer) < 5000 ;Loop on the fact that the timer is less than 5000 ms
    $data = UDPRecv($INsocket, 1000) ;Receive data
    If $data <> "" Then
        MsgBox(64, "Return Value", $data) ;Display the result
        UDPShutdown()   
        Exit ;exit the script
    EndIF
WEnd

MsgBox(16, "Error", "Request timed out.")

UDPShutdown()

I havn't tested it yet but, theroretically, it should work.

EDIT: Missing UDPstartup() and UDPShutdown()'s added

Edited by DatMCEyeBall

"Just be fred, all we gotta do, just be fred."  -Vocaliod

"That is a Hadouken. A KAMEHAMEHA would have taken him 13 days and 54 episodes to form." - Roden Hoxha

@tabhooked

Clock made of cursors ♣ Desktop Widgets ♣ Water Simulation

First make sure that the path to the file is correct, currently you have C:Windows, you should have C:Windows in there.

Sorry, typo on my part.  The path beginning with C:Windows is what I meant to type.

Instead of SoundPlay() use _WinAPI_PlaySound() function made by Yashied. Example can be found here: >Play a wave file from memory

Br,

UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ

Try this, and let us know the results.

SoundPlay("C:\windows\media\tada.wav", 1)

Try this, and let us know the results.

SoundPlay("C:\windows\media\tada.wav", 1)

That's the code that prompted me to post this thread.  When I run that code using a script housed locally, the sound plays as expected.  However when I run that code using a script housed remotely, that code results in no sound played.  I am trying to get the latter to play the intended sound.

Did you notice the second parameter in the soundplay function I used? It might make a difference.