How to copy and process data from webpages

Hey guyz I wanted to know if there was a way of copying something from a webpage and do some calculation on it. Actually my results are out and our school doesnt generate a list sorted by rank, so I thought of doing it myself. :sweating:

I can go to the result site and enter roll no by mouseclick command and increment roll no by 1, the real problem starts at the result page, the webpage displays the marks like this (its not in image format at result page, its like text only)

CBSE_12_Results_2013_06_04_05_01_08.png

Is there a way for me to find the average of these marks? As I dont know how to copy the marks displayed in a webpage, and even if I copy them, wont they be stored in a variable as string which will make doing any addition or division impossible?

I want to know if there is a way of finding average of the marks displayed in the webpage as there are around 200~250 students, so automating the task is my best bet.. Any help would be greatly appreciated :

Edited by pulkit2

Look at the IE UDF's in the help file. You should be able to do most or all of what you want with those. Those work with Internet Explorer, there's separate UDF's (that you can find in this forum) for Firefox and Opera. Good luck with your project :)

Edited by somdcomputerguy

- Bruce /*somdcomputerguy */  If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.

If it's a one-off-thing it may be even faster to just mark data, Ctrl-C, insert in Excel which automagically formats sort-of-correct, then do your math there.

It's interesting to develop AutoIT apps for such things, but I often have to stop myself, and try not to invent a hammer that already exists :)

If you do continue app development - there are also other ways. You could just download data using inetget, then operate on regex'es. All depends on initial formatting of data how simple that is.

Probably other ways to do same thing as well.

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.