GUICtrlSetTip - bug

I discovered bug in AutoIt.

I write here first and not directly on BugTrac to be sure.

Here is simple test script:

GUICreate("ToolTip bug", 400, 300)
GUICtrlCreateLabel('Test1', 10,10,100,25)
GUICtrlSetTip(-1,'tip 1')
GUICtrlCreateLabel('Test2', 10,50,100,25)
GUICtrlSetTip(-1,'tip 2')
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

While 1
    If GUIGetMsg() = -3 Then ExitLoop
WEnd

When you place cursor on label1 and then immediatelly after tooltip appear on label2 and back to label1 all is OK (tooltip appears)

but when you place cursor on label1 and don't move cursor until tooltip dissapear (approx 5 seconds depends on Windows setting) then after placing cursor on label2 tooltip appears but back on label1 tooltip don't appear anymore

Note1: I tested it on "my latest AutoIt beta" 3.3.7.23

Note2: This bug isn't in AutoIt 3.2.12.1 so it was introduced in some new version

So question is if this bug is also in latest AutoIt release/beta version.

EDIT:

Now I discovered that it can be unblocked by click on label, after that ToolTip shows correctly again

This bug apply also for other controls not only labels, tested on buttons

EDIT2: It seems bug is only on WinXP, i will do more tests ...

EDIT3: YES it appears only on WinXP (also with latest release/beta 3.3.8.1/3.3.9.4).

Bug ticket reopened

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/1275

Edited by Zedna

The latest version is v3.3.8.1 and the beta is v3.3.9.4.

No bug for me either.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Thanks for info.

I will try to temporary install these versions (3.3.8.1 and 3.3.9.4) to test it.

Maybe I will only compile it by these versions from ZIP package.

I use release 3.2.12.1 and beta 3.3.7.23 and for now I can't change it

because of many my other projects which I would have to migrate through many script breaking changes

and it would be too much unnecessary work for me.

That is a bug that has always been there from my recollection, but I do remember a reference some time ago to a fix or work-around.

It only happens when you hover over a control with a Tooltip, for too long.

Perhaps this doesn't occur on everyone's system, but it has on all mine for as long as I can remember.

P.S. I'm not running latest versions of AutoIt though.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

It only happens when you hover over a control with a Tooltip for too long.

Yes, exactly.

I'm not so good in english, so I didn't know how exactly describe this behaviour.

This your description is clear.

EDIT:

It only happens when you hover over a control with a Tooltip for too long - so long that it dissapear and then never again appear.

Edited by Zedna

That is a bug that has always been there from my recollection, but I do remember a reference some time ago to a fix or work-around.

As I said in AutoIt 3.2.12.1 this bug isn't.

If there is some known workaround please send me link, I will be very glad.

I will try try to search for it later...

Edited by Zedna

I've just used a work-around.

And if the others aren't experiencing it, then latest versions of AutoIt no longer have the bug.

Wasn't that version of AutoIt, the last before the big change to v3.3.0.0?

Perhaps a fix was also implemented for that final version, but not carried over at that time, because of other significant changes?

Spoiler

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Just for the record, here are previous topic/bug ticket for the same problem:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

http://www.autoitscript.com/trac/autoit/ticket/1275

Ticket is marked as "Works For Me" :-(

I will do some more tests on WinXP, Win7

with latest release/beta and I will post results here

and in case of problems in latest beta I will reopen Bug Ticket.

Note: I tested it on my WinXP up to now

Edited by Zedna

• Moderators

Zedna,

It appears that there is no problem with the latest release nor the latest Beta - I certainly do not see this "bug" when I run your code - so what is the use of a Trac ticket? :huh:

If you want to run outdated versions of AutoIt for your own reasons then you can hardly expect anyone to devote time to a bug which is just not present in later versions. Do you expect a re-release of v3.2.12.1 - which I would point out is now almost exactly 5 years old?  I had only just discovered AutoIt at that point and I can remember the "fun" I had converting my few scripts - so I can certainly sympathise with you not wanting to convert what was doubtless a comprehensive library.  But please be reasonable - there is no point in reopening a Trac ticket which will be instantly marked as "Works for me with the latest versions".  :)

I clearly a certain ex-Dev saying once that anyone expecting support for more than 2 releases back was pushing their luck - posting about bugs 5 releases ago seems well beyond the pale to me. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

@Melba

I said "... in case of problems in latest beta I will reopen Bug Ticket."

so I don't get point of your whole post where you misinterpreted what I said :-(.

I'm not sure if in latest release/beta is really fixed this bug so I will test it myself to be sure.

If there is some workaround for this bug then I want to use such workaround in my older version.

EDIT: For 95% of my projects I don't need newer version than good old 3.2.12.1 :-)

Edited by Zedna

For version 3.2.12.1 GUICtrlSetTip working properly. For version 3.3.8.1 GUICtrlSetTip disappears. It is necessary to press the button to make it work again.

And that is the only fix (work-around) type of thing I did.

I just use GuiCtrlSetTip for those I needed to, even giving Labels the Notify setting to do so ... so as was said, you just click to fix.

I've even been known to use a single function, so that one click (maybe on an Info button) fixes all.

Most of the time though, it wasn't important enough to bother with .... as the tip was only a courtesy extra and not a necessity ... and on subsequent program starts, all is fine again anyway ... so no biggie really.

Edited by TheSaint

Spoiler

userbar.png

• Moderators

Zedna,

If I misinterpreted your remarks and offended you then I apologise - that was not at all my intention. :)

But you have several people in this thread who tell you that the latest versions of AutoIt do not display this behaviour, so I fail to see why you are still thinking of reopening a Trac ticket that has already been rejected. But by all means reopen the ticket if you so wish - although I can guess at the likely response. ;)

But the main point I was making, not only to you but to the general readership, is that not running the latest version of AutoIt is likely to get you short shrift when it comes to seeking help. Running an old version of an application or OS is not a problem in itself - look at how many people still run XP - but there comes a time when support for it can no longer be expected. I would suggest that 5 years and 5 releases is well past that point. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

@Melba

You inadequately turned debate to my old AutoIt version and you told that maybe I want version 3.2.12.1 to be fixed that was absolutely out and unfair.

I want to stay in pragmatic level and you know you are my best friend here on the forum :)

As you can see in this topic and also in referenced original topic/trac ticket

there are different conflicting information from different people.

Here is my summary:

Bug isn't in 3.2.12.1

Bug isn't in 3.3.1.1 - based on information from bug ticket

edit: Bug is on 3.3.1.3 and XP SP3 (trancexx)

Bug ticket was reported for 3.3.1.4 version - answer was "Works for me / closed"

Somebody here wrote bug is still in latest release 3.3.8.1 - so bug ticket was closed evidently badly

There is no mention in changelog/bug trac about fix for this bug in any later version

Somebody other say here that bug isn't in 3.3.8.1/3.3.9.4 - so it's evident they don't know how to invoke bug or it's related also on other conditions (OS? OS settings?).

That's why I want to test it myself (with latest release/beta) to be sure bug isn't in latest AutoIt's beta version because in latest release it is.

In case bug is still in latest beta I will reopen mentioned ticket (as I said previously).

EDIT: It seems that bug is only on WinXP but I'm not sure about that so I will test it also on my Win7 at work

I hope all is clear now :)

Edited by Zedna

so it's evident they don't know how to invoke bug or it's related also on other conditions (OS? OS settings?).

A little judgemental don't you think Zedna?

I tested on Windows 7 x64 with both v3.3.8.1/v3.3.9.5 (Aplha version) - No bug

I tested on Windows XP SP3 with both v3.3.8.1/v3.3.9.5 (Aplha version) - Yes, this "issue" exists.

Since I don't use XP (only have a copy for testing) and come April 2014 neither will Microsoft, it seems frivolous to fix. 

Edit: I personally would have waited until  testing on Wndows 7 before posting a report, just to gain all the facts.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Moderators

Zedna,

Some Googling this morning leads me to think that this could well be an XP problem, rather than necessarily an AutoIt one. It seems that the behaviour of the ToolTip control was changed for Vista+ - as is often the case with OS changes (I am fighting with the new Win7+ ListView control at the moment) - and what you are seeing is the result of that. No doubt the core AutoIt code was amended to to reflect this new implementation which, as is so often the case, introduced this problem for XP users as an unwanted side effect. This would explain why so many of us cannot reproduce the symptoms that you are seeing with your OS and AutoIt version. :)

And with that I wish you all a pleasant Sunday and leave this conversation. :bye:

M23

Spoiler