RestrictEdit_SRE (UDF)

PhoenixXL

RESTRICT EDIT UDF

Restrict the text that can be entered in an editbox through a String Regular Expression.

The UDF works be subclassing the control. >Here is a similar UDF based on Windows Message.

Functions

• The UDF is pretty simple and could be modified with ease.
  • User can set their SRE pattern to block the text entered in the editbox
  • Tooltips can be used in case of an error. The title of the Tooltip is Error_2 where the number(2) signifies the pattern that caused the error.
  • The script is made to use function pointer variables rather than direct patterns, to make it more flexible and broader.
  • Supports +ve and -ve SRE pattern matches. See example for better understanding.

Note : The Pattern should be made such that every phase of typing is met,

Example, if the user wants The second letter should be always a digit. Then he should make sure that the pattern is also satisfied when user enters the first character, as through the process of typing.

Index

; #INDEX# =======================================================================================================================
; Title .........: RestrictEdit
; Version........: 1.0
; AutoIt Version : 3.3.8.0++
; Language ......: English
; Author(s)......: Phoenix XL
; Librarie(s)....: WinAPI, Array and GUIEdit
; Description ...: Functions for restricting the text typed in an Edit control through SRE.
;                  The edit control is subclassed and the original processing is blocked when pattern isn't satisfied.
; ===============================================================================================================================

; #CURRENT# =====================================================================================================================
;_Restrict_Edit
; ===============================================================================================================================

; #INTERNAL_USE_ONLY# ===========================================================================================================
; HideToolTip_Edit
;_NewWnd_Proc_
;_SubClass_

ChangeLog

v1.0 - First Release

v2.0 - Replaced the SRE pattern parameter(2nd parameter) with function pointer parameter[A script Breaking change]. Added support for positive and negative pattern matches

Download

v2.0 RestrictEdit(UDF).7z

Previous downloads : 161

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.

NIce example of sub-classing..

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• 8 months later...

Thanks PhoenixXL

Very nice UDF

Unfortunately something disappoints me today my mind, 

I try to add restrictions to the text type: 
m121/12,1231/12,p1/12,2/13,s1/14,o121/10

here is an example what I want to achieve:

#include <array.au3>
$sText = 'm121/12,1231/12,p1/12,2/13,s1/14,o121/10'
$aItems = StringRegExp($sText,'[mpson]?\d+\/\d\d,?',3)
_ArrayDisplay($aItems)

I wonder how to use your UDFa to exclude erroneous data entered by a human.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

You will have to use conditionals,

Example

#include <GUIConstants.au3>
#include <RestrictEdit.au3>

#cs
    [0]|m121/12,
    [1]|1231/12,
    [2]|p1/12,
    [3]|2/13,
    [4]|s1/14,
    [5]|o121/10
#ce

Func _Main()

#cs Pattern in text that should follow

the first character can be any of 'm' 'p' 's' 'o' 'n' or a no. of digits
        followed by a "/" and then followed by two digits.
        Then if comma again the above pattern is expected otherwise, if EOL the pattern is satisfied.

#ce

Local Const $sPattern = "^([mpson]?(?(?=\d+)\d*\d(?(?=/)/(?(?=\d)\d{0,2}(,|$)|$)|$)|$))*$"

;our main GUI
    GUICreate("Restrict Edit | Phoenix XL", 200, 70)
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Pattern : " & $sPattern, 10, 10, 200, 30)
    GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 30, 180, 20)

;subclass the control and set the SRE restriction.
    _Restrict_Edit(GUICtrlGetHandle(-1), $sPattern, "InCorrect Syntax.")
    If @error Then MsgBox(16, "Error Code: " &  @error, "Extended: " & @extended)

GUISetState()

Do
        Sleep(10)
    Until GUIGetMsg() = $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE

;unsubclass the control
    _Restrict_Edit(GUICtrlGetHandle(-1))

EndFunc   ;==>_Main

_Main()

I'm not decoding the regex. I'm going to release the next version soon that comes with the support of multiple SRE's. Therefore such long patterns won't be required.

Regards :)

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

PredictText: Predict Text of an Edit Control Like Scite. Remote Gmail: Execute your Scripts through Gmail. StringRegExp:Share and learn RegExp.

Run As System: A command line wrapper around PSEXEC.exe to execute your apps scripts as System (LSA). Database: An easier approach for _SQ_LITE beginners.

MathsEx: A UDF for Fractions and LCM, GCF/HCF. FloatingText: An UDF for make your text floating. Clipboard Extendor: A clipboard monitoring tool. 

Custom ScrollBar: Scroll Bar made with GDI+, user can use bitmaps instead. RestrictEdit_SRE: Restrict text in an Edit Control through a Regular Expression.

Exactly what I meant.

Thanks a lot for that script example.

I'm going to release the next version soon that comes with the support of multiple SRE's. Therefore such long patterns won't be required.

Sounds promising. Already I can not wait to study your code 

Best regards 

mLipok

btw.

Thanks for this tutorial link, is very instructiveSomehow I have not landed on him before.

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• 3 weeks later...
I worked a bit on it. 
The first thing I made a minor amendment. 
changing this: 
Local Const $sPattern = "^([mpson]?(?(?=\d+)\d*\d(?(?=/)/(?(?=\d)\d{0,2}(,|$)|$)|$)|$))*$"

on, something like this:

Local Const $sPattern = "^([mpson]?(?(?=\d+)\d+(?(?=/)/(?(?=\d)\d{0,2}(,|$)|$)|$)|$))*$"

d*d    >>>   d+

Then I remembered one problem: 

below a description of how to achieve the same problem: 

type 
1234/56
Now back to the beginning, before the digit 1, and now try to add the letter s 

tooltip "Incorrect Syntax." Appear. 

but when you clear input and start writing again 
s1234/56 
in this case no message does not appear

Then I did some more tests. 

I noticed another similar problem: 
below a description of how to achieve this problem: 

type 
1234/56
Now back before the character /, and now try to add the letter s   (trying to do this 1234s/56  )

tooltip "Incorrect Syntax." Appear. 

but when set at the end of the entered text, and add a comma character
and now you come back in front of the sign / 
it now can easily add the letter s

I wonder if this is errors in $sPattern , or have found a bug?

EDIT: nevertheless, the script is already very useful.

I have an additional question / issue, but that does not stir too much, so I wait for a possible answer.

Best Regards

mLipok

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Yes all the problems is due to a bug in the UDF.

I will clear it with the new version, would be released by tomorrow.

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

Thank you for the information.
In the evening, I will explain this further case which I mentioned earlier.

Perhaps it will help to improve the UDF.

Regards

mLIpok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

v2.0 released

-+Replaced the SRE pattern parameter(2nd parameter) with function pointer parameter[A script Breaking change].

+Added support for positive and negative pattern matches

My code:

mLipok,

with the new version your example could be modified as follows (three regexes)

#include <RestrictEdit.au3)
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#cs
    [0]|m121/12,
    [1]|1231/12,
    [2]|p1/12,
    [3]|2/13,
    [4]|s1/14,
    [5]|o121/10
#ce

_Main()

Func _Main()

Then if comma again the above pattern is expected otherwise, if EOL the pattern is satisfied.

#ce

;our main GUI
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Test", 10, 10, 200, 30)

_Restrict_Edit(GUICtrlGetHandle(-1), SRE_Array, "InCorrect Syntax.")
    If @error Then MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error Code: " & @error, "Extended: " & @extended)

GUISetState()

Do
        Sleep(10)

;unsubclass the control

EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Func SRE_Array($hEdit, $s_CurrentText)

;return an non-array non zero to block processing
    ;return zero to block restriction

Local $aPatterns[3][2] = [ _
            ["(^|(?<=/\d{2}),)[mpson]?\d*(/|$)", True], _                       ;here True signifies +ve match, the string should match the pattern
            ["((\D)\2|/\d{3}|/\d?\D|/\d{2}[^,]|(?<=\D)/)", False], _            ;here False signifies -ve match, the string should NOT match the pattern
            ["[^mpson\d,/]", False]]

;Lets decode the above patterns
    #cs
        First Pattern +ve match
            1st Capturing group
                (^|(?<=/\d{2}),) : by start of string or comma( that too should be preceeded by a slash and two digits [look-behind assertion])

[mpson]? : if present should be preceeded by 1st capturing group.

\d* : any no. of digits

2nd Capturing group
                ((/|$) : Either the end of the string, or a slash

If the above pattern is not satisfied, processing is blocked.

Second Pattern -ve match
            1st Capturing group
                ((\D)\2|/\d{3}|/\d?\D|/\d{2}[^,]) : consists of five different patterns nested. When either of the three is satisfied the pattern is matched
                1st NestedPattern
                    (\D)\2 : second capturing group, the first char is any non-digit, the second char is the same non-digit
                2nd NestedPattern
                    /\d{3} : after slash three digits are present.
                3rd NestedPattern
                    /\d?\D : after slash a non-digit is there or after slash a digit and then a non digit is present
                4th NestedPattern
                    /\d{2}[^,] : after slash two digits and anything other than comma is present.
                5th NestedPattern
                    (?<=\D)/ : slash preceeded by any non-digit

If the above pattern is satisfied, processing is blocked.

Third Pattern -ve match
            [^mpson\d,/] : match anything other than     m p s o n digit , /
            if the above is satisfied, processing is blocked
    #ce

;You can also block processing using this function.
    ;Say you don't want characters to exceed 20 then
    If StringLen($s_CurrentText) > 20 Then Return 1

Return $aPatterns

EndFunc   ;==>SRE_Array

Though the straight away method is more simple and better conceptualized with nested conditionals, it modifies as follows

#include <RestrictEdit.au3>
#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

#cs
    [0]|m121/12,
    [1]|1231/12,
    [2]|p1/12,
    [3]|2/13,
    [4]|s1/14,
    [5]|o121/10
#ce

_Main()

Func _Main()

#ce

;our main GUI
    GUICtrlCreateLabel("Test", 10, 10, 200, 30)

_Restrict_Edit(GUICtrlGetHandle(-1), SRE_Array, "InCorrect Syntax.")
    If @error Then MsgBox($MB_ICONERROR, "Error Code: " & @error, "Extended: " & @extended)

GUISetState()

Do
        Sleep(10)

;unsubclass the control

EndFunc   ;==>_Main

Local $aPatterns[1][2] = [ ["^([mpson]?(?(?=\d+)\d+(?(?=/)/(?(?=\d)\d{0,2}(,|$)|$)|$)|$))*$", True]]

Return $aPatterns

EndFunc   ;==>SRE_Array

Regards :)

Phoenix XL

Edited by PhoenixXL

My code:

• 2 weeks later...

First I want to thank you.

Now it works excelent.

I rember that I need to restrict more complicated pattern

Here is an example what I want to achieve:
#include <array.au3>
$sText = 'm121/12,1231/12,p1a/12,2/13,s1/14,o121/10'
$aItems = StringRegExp($sText,'[mpson]?\d+[a-zA-Z]{0,3}\/\d\d,?',3)
_ArrayDisplay($aItems)

so I modyfied example by using this:

Local $aPatterns[1][2] = [ ["^([mpson]?(?(?=\d+)\d+[a-zA-Z]{0,3}(?(?=/)/(?(?=\d)\d{0,2}(,|$)|$)|$)|$))*$", True]]

Return $aPatterns

EndFunc   ;==>SRE_Array

And now it works perfectly, at least temporarily, I think it works perfectly ;)

Again, many thanks for your help.

Best Regards

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 4 months later...

Hi

please add inside Func _Restrict_Edit($ControlHwnd, $pFunc = "", $s_ToolTip = "")

Local declaration for 

Local $Index = _ArraySearch($ai_ControlHwnd, $ControlHwnd)

Cheers

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I am not very knowledge with RegEx expressions so I am having difficulty using the Restric Edit UDF to control limit the user to a HH:MM am/pm formatted entry.

Is there a source of examples? that I would be able to model after?

For the purposes of REstrict Edit what would the correct regex string be?

Ian