Appending user input data, while also adding a text bridge between data pieces?

Hi, everyone!

Something new for me which is why I'm stumped I guess.  I envision some sort of GUI that has an input box of some sort for user input.  The user will input 1 to 3 words and then hit enter.  After each enter, a new blank input box would appear but the previous text got appended with a text bridge in between.  I'm not sure how AI would handle storing the data in between Enters but outputting to an INI file on the desktop might work - updating the INI after the Enter key was pressed each time, appending the user input and extra syntax each time (???) - would that be do-able?

At any rate, here below is the type of output text string needed - with the user's input going in between the 2 asterisks.  I've used just some random company names as an example.  Last Thursday i built this type of  text string manually which included about 57 companies, if memory serves, so the GUI should work until user kits an OK or DONE key when all entries are done.

Not Like "*Philips*" AND Not like "*Sony*" AND Not Like "*Texaco*" AND Not Like "*Microsoft*Corporation*" AND Not Like ... (etc.)

The only reason I used *Microsoft*Corporation* above as an example using 2 words is because even though something like just *Microsoft* is often the more desirable input, there are, however, a handful of companies in our db that are extremely similar.  The only way to ensure we deal reliably with them is by including more than one word so that that company is completely filtered out without affecting any others with a nearly identical name with slight differences that must remain in.

Anyway, any ideas?  I'm drawing a bit of a blank on how to begin coding for this case.

Thanks!

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Moderators

Diana (Cda),

Here is a very simple way to do what you want: :)

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$cInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 200, 20)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current string", 10, 40, 200, 20)
$cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 10, 60, 480, 200)
GUICtrlSetFont(-1, 10, Default, Default, "Consolas")

$cButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Done", 10, 280, 80, 30)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Final string", 10, 320, 200, 20)
$cResult = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 10, 340, 480, 150)

GUISetState()

; Clear the data
$sData = ""

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cInput
            ; Read the input and replace the spces with "*"
            $sInput = StringReplace(GUICtrlRead($cInput), " ", "*")
            ; Add the new content to the stored data
            $sData = $sData & 'Not like "*' & $sInput & '*" AND '
            ; Show what we have
            GUICtrlSetData($cLabel, $sData)
            ; And clear the input
            GUICtrlSetData($cInput, "")
        Case $cButton
            ; Remove the trailing " AND "
            $sData = StringTrimRight($sData, 5)
            ; Clear the top label
            GUICtrlSetData($cLabel, "")
            ; Show the final result
            GUICtrlSetData($cResult, $sData)
    EndSwitch

WEnd
Do you actually want to limit the input to a certain number of words? That could be done fairly easily with an EN_CHANGE message handler. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Good Afternoon!

I just wanted to come back and say how wonderful this script has been and should done so long before now.  I've been at this new job now a bare 3 weeks yet have already put in a lot of overtime even coming in one Saturday for all afternnoon already <g>.  You get thrown into jobs nowadays with no training whatsoever so you have to figure a way to make things work and that takes time.

At any rate, re the maximum number of characters - I asked in another forum this very question at the same time I posted the original message here but have still not had a response to that.  I also googled around as much as I could and did find that it _might_ be 1,000, as per 1 website.  So that's the only change I'd make as it would make life easier if the script did make a truncation.

But thanks so very much once again.  I've used the script twice already for filtering out companies in the program and it worked perfectly.  And the only reason why I haven't used it more is because my colleagues were out of the country presenting.  So we'll be going back to twice per week very soon now that they've returned.

Cheers!

• Moderators

Diana (Cda),

I am delighted you found the code useful. :)

My comment about limiting the input referred to each separate instance - not the entire string. You had initially mentioned "The user will input 1 to 3 words" - it was that limit I was suggesting the EN_CHANGE message could action. If you want to limit the total string to a maximum of 1000 entries then that could also be done very simply by counting the entries and forcing completion when the limit was reached. Which, or both, would you like to see incorporated? :huh:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Diana (Cda),

I am delighted you found the code useful. :)

<grin> Ditto!

My comment about limiting the input referred to each separate instance - not the entire string. You had initially mentioned "The user will input 1 to 3 words" - it was that limit I was suggesting the EN_CHANGE message could action. If you want to limit the total string to a maximum of 1000 entries then that could also be done very simply by counting the entries and forcing completion when the limit was reached. Which, or both, would you like to see incorporated? :huh:

Oh, well, that's even better!  Thanks for that, but I'm thinking that the # of words isn't too critical, which is good, but it would be grand if the "forcing completion" of the total number of characters would be enforced - in this case, the limitation being 1,000 characters.

As long as AI handles the text in the same order it was entered (which it should, right?), it should hopefully be easy enough to see at the end exactly where AI had to stop the process.  I'd then go back and manually deal with those entries that were beyond the 1,000 character limitation after the export is done - which should be completely do-able since most of the companies should be dealt with by 1,000 characters by my estimates.

Thank you!

Edited by Diana (Cda)

• Moderators

Diana (Cda),

Here is some amended code which limits the code to 1000 charaters or thereabouts. As soon as the length of the string goes over 1000 characters, it is as if the "Done" button were pressed automatically - look for the ; ~~~~~~~~ delimited lines:

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>

$hGUI = GUICreate("Test", 500, 500)

$cInput = GUICtrlCreateInput("", 10, 10, 200, 20)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Current string", 10, 40, 200, 20)
$cLabel = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 10, 60, 480, 200)

$cButton = GUICtrlCreateButton("Done", 10, 280, 80, 30)

GUICtrlCreateLabel("Final string", 10, 320, 200, 20)
$cResult = GUICtrlCreateLabel("", 10, 340, 480, 150)

GUISetState()

; Clear the data
$sData = ""

While 1

Switch GUIGetMsg()
        Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
        Case $cInput
            ; Read the input and replace the spces with "*"
            $sInput = StringReplace(GUICtrlRead($cInput), " ", "*")
            ; Add the new content to the stored data
            $sData = $sData & 'Not like "*' & $sInput & '*" AND '
            ; Show what we have
            GUICtrlSetData($cLabel, $sData)
            ; And clear the input
            GUICtrlSetData($cInput, "")

;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ; Check the 1000 character limit
            If StringLen($sData) > 1000 Then
                ; If over then act as if the "Done" button had been pressed
                ContinueCase
            EndIf
;~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Case $cButton
            ; Remove the trailing " AND "
            $sData = StringTrimRight($sData, 5)
            ; Clear the top label
            GUICtrlSetData($cLabel, "")
            ; Show the final result
            GUICtrlSetData($cResult, $sData)
    EndSwitch

WEnd
I hope that suffices - come back if not. :)

M23

Spoiler