compare numbers -need help-

Go to solution Solved by FireFox,

hi all

this is a part from program update code

it must check a file size from a download link and compare it to test.exe that contain the size of another file in bytes

Local $nSize = InetGetSize("http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/beta/update.dat")

If FileExists("test.txt") Then

Local $file = FileOpen("test.txt", 0)

While 1
    Local $line = FileReadLine($file)
    If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
WEnd

FileClose($file)
Endif

If $nSize == $line Then
  MsgBox(4096,"","Matched!")
Else
  MsgBox(4096,"", "The strings did not match!")
EndIf

i am new to autoit and this code always give "The strings did not match" even if they're the same "445"

any ideas ?

$nSize <> Int($line)

Try:

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Yeh, but they got the idea. I use Int as InetGetSize returns Int32, personal preference really.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

$nSize <> Int($line)

Try:

@guinnes

Upside down !

@alexander95

Try :

;better to compare same vars type :
If $nSize <> Number($line) Then
Br, FireFox.

thank you for fast replay guys but the both codes if it is the same value or not it give "The strings did not match!"

anyway what do you mean by <> i want it to be equal not larger or smaller ?

any ideas ? 

No, I understood my Try: was below but the Forum messed up the insertion of the AutoIt tags, so I just left it. Feeling a little lazy today.

<>  - is non case-sensitive

= - is non case-sensitive

== is - is case-sensitive

Why not use FileGetSize on the application instead of reading lines from a file?

UDF List:

No, I understood my Try: was below but the Forum messed up the insertion of the AutoIt tags, so I just left it. Feeling a little lazy today.

:) I wouldn't have posted if I saw your "Int", I replied too quickly.

No, the operator <> means different from, for more infos see here.

That's weird, can you check if the vars are really the same and post it here if needed?

ConsoleWrite("$line:" & $line & ", $nSize:" & $nSize & "." & @CrLf)

Br, FireFox.

this is what i got

$line:, $nSize:445.

Why not use FileGetSize on the application instead of reading lines from a file?

the rest of the code will download and execute if different from the old size ()

• Solution

Try this:

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $iSize = InetGetSize("http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/beta/update.dat")

Local $iMySize = FileRead("test.txt")
If @error Then Exit 1 ;either the file does not exists or it's used by another app.

If $iSize = $iMySize Then
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, Default, "Matched!")
Else
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, Default, "The strings did not match!")
EndIf
Br, FireFox. Edited by FireFox

Try this:

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $iSize = InetGetSize("http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/beta/update.dat")

If @error Then Exit 1 ;either the file does not exists or it's used by another app.

MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, Default, "Matched!")
Else
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, Default, "The strings did not match!")
EndIf
Br, FireFox.

thank you man you are the best it worked !

can u explain what is the difference between isize and nsize ?

can u explain what is the difference between isize and nsize ?

None, it's a variable name and it has no effect on its content.

I use i for the integers, see the Hungarian notation.

Br, FireFox.

$iSize is a string, but on comparison with a number AutoIt internally converts it to a number.

#include <Constants.au3>

If 10 = '10' Then MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, '', 'It''s 10!')

UDF List:

thank u all guys for helping

the update prosses must do the following:

1- check file size of the link provided

2-if test.exe does not exist then download and excute

if test.exe exists then compare the size (from the link) compare to the number in try.txt if matched then do nothing

if not matched then download and execute

Local $iSize = InetGetSize("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102520949/My%20Files/GPU%20Z%200-3.exe")

If @error Then 

Local $hDownload = InetGet("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102520949/My%20Files/GPU%20Z%200-3.exe", @TempDir & "\try.exe", 1, 1)
Do
    Sleep(250)
Until InetGetInfo($hDownload, 2) ; Check if the download is complete.
Local $nBytes = InetGetInfo($hDownload, 0)
InetClose($hDownload) ; Close the handle to release resources.
ShellExecute(@tempdir & "\try.exe")
EndIf

Else
    Local $hDownload = InetGet("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102520949/My%20Files/GPU%20Z%200-3.exe", @TempDir & "\try.exe", 1, 1)
Do
    Sleep(250)
ShellExecute(@tempdir & "\try.exe")

EndIf

but it is behaving in different way

if it found test.txt it is working fine and comparing fine

if it didn't found try.txt it download and ecute 2 times

i want it only once

any ideas ?

Edited by alexander95

Local $iSize = InetGetSize("https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/102520949/My%20Files/GPU%20Z%200-3.exe")

Local $iMySize = Number(FileRead("test.txt"))
If @error _ ;if the file does not exists
        Or $iSize <> $iMySize Then ;OR if it exists and the size does not match
    Do
        Sleep(250)

ShellExecute(@TempDir & "\try.exe")
EndIf
Edit: Added indents... (don't know what's happening with the forum).

Edited by FireFox

• 1 year later...

thank u all guys for helping

the update prosses must do the following:

Else

Whew, and it only took days to find out how to get strings to compare,, Yes read the darn help file many times.. and tons of posts on google and else were. just could not get a handle on

Local $iCmp = StringCompare($sStr1, $sStr2) MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "", _         "Comparing '" & $sStr1 & "' To '" & $sStr2 & "'" & @CRLF & _         "StringCompare Result (mode $STR_NOCASESENSE): " & $iCmp)

It makes no sense (((("StringCompare Result (mode $STR_NOCASESENSE):)))) compare the case of letters when you have tools built in to change the case of letters?

I know just trying to confuse me, and you did, congrats..

Thank you

Thank you

FireFox

Thank you

guinness   gosh if my husband knew how much time we spent together,, I would be dead..

I read a lot of your and Melba23's posts to learn.

And a touch to 

Melba23  .. for the lessons you gave me that got me started.

Oh yea.. I almost forgot and I did promise.. Note to the " why are you posting to OLD posts people " because I promised that I would if I found any GEMS that had that make or break code for a program that we all from time to time wish we could find.

Here is a quote I got back from Microsoft about Windows XP that was first released on 25 October 2001. I had sent a letter to them, politely asking why they could never get it right, XP was full of bugs and they have been at this for over 10 years now!

Dear. Mrs ********. As you know coding is very time intensive. Microsoft who is the leader, has a commitment to our board of directors. Principally Mr. Gates to move forward at a accelerated pace to keep the competition at bay. We use as much old tested code as we can and sometimes it needs tweaking to work with new commands. Old code is usually the basis all software is built upon................................ and so on.

I was lucky as living in Oregon I could attend many events at Microsoft. And they could take your breath away......

Thanks guys..