Costum file install destination?

Hi there!

First off, thanks for visiting this page, with assumed interest.

Recently a friend of mine , whom creates flash games, asked me if I could make a File installer for him.
Well, i said that I probably could, but I might have to ask for help.

That turned out to be true, since I feel like I got glued on the spot with this one. I'm as stuck and confused as one can be, asking for help on the autoit forums.

I have to make an installer, where the file path is located, and if needed can be edited.

Example : 
Fzsetup4.png

Anyone willing to give me some assistance on this?

This is a great oppurtunity to learn how to make an installer that is not pre-fixed.

(eg. FileInstall ("Source", "Dest ", [Flag])

Thanks in advance.

-Daniel.

PS. this might be for a game, but I'm creating it for the developer, not for adapting / changing any of the game files, and/or to give any unfair advantage over others aka Cheating. I do this on request for the game's developer himself.)
Neither am I earning anything from this, since it's a friendly request, purely to increase my autoit knowledge.

Thanks for reading, and sorry for this red wall of text, it's because of a previous experience, when I asked for help with a bot, which was not allowed.

Edited by D4rkDr4g0nz

• Moderators

D4rkDr4g0nz,

Are you looking just to select the folder in which to install the files, or will there be other choices to be made later in the install process? :huh:

If it is just the folder, then take a look at InputBox - this allows you to offer a default choice and for the user to enter another path. But it does not offer the chance to browse. :(

If you need subsequent choices during the install (or would like a "Browse" option) then you are looking at creating your own GUI with its controls. It is not difficult, but demands a certain knowledge of basic Autoit syntax and structure. Have you read this excellent tutorial? Reading that along with the first few sections of the Help file - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) should give you a good idea of how to go about it.

And of course you know where we are if you need help. So give it go and see what you can come up with. :)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

Hi Melba!

I dont nessecary need a browse option, but it would certainly be something fancy.
I'll try the tutorial you just linked me as soon as I reach my doormat :)

Thanks

-Daniel.

Ps. out of bold curiousity, bad habits and randomness, has your forum name anything to do with toast?

• Moderators

D4rkDr4g0nz,

out of bold curiousity, bad habits and randomness, has your forum name anything to do with toast?

Not at all - it used to be my personal radio callsign at one time. I used it when I first joined the forum and never really saw the need to change it. And it occasionally leads people to assume all sorts of strange things... :whistle:

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

• Moderators

D4rkDr4g0nz,

Not even close! :D

But if you can identify my avatar you might get a hint. ;)

M23

Spoiler