Waiting for window to be Active before clicking?

Hi guys,

I'm an old time programmer but kind of new to Autoit and appreciate any input.

I have a script written to look for a window to pop up on the screen (screen which is a server in the computer room) that needs the button clicked for acknowledgement.

I have it working just fine until there is no one logged on to the console of the server (maybe it's locked at this point and I have to just deal with that?).

My log file is reporting that the script found the window to exist and has the Handle but is waiting for the window to be "Active" before continuing.  

At this point, if I Remote Desktop to the server, I see the window there and then watch the script click the button and the log file then reports it as being done.  

Just looking for possible suggestions on what to try here, thanks in advance!

Scott

Bad advice for a locked workstation or one that's logged off, as mentioned by the OP in his post.

@ScottSaltz - Check this link out and see if it helps

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

The server that is appearing to be locked, is running Thin clients and when a program blows up a window pops up on the desktop of the server.  The application on the Client hangs until the window on the Server is acknowledged.

Sometimes programmers are on the Server desktop (remote desktop) and other times we are not.

It seems to me, only because I haven't noticed you mention it, and it may not be a solution (too simplistic), that your program detects that the window is present and visible, but just not active.

Is there any reason why you can't just use the WinSetActive command at that point, followed by the WinWaitActive?

Or is the window always present, just waiting for an appropriate issue to set it active?

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

Sorry, never heard of that function :D

WinActivate

Doh! Me have dumb moment. :wacko:

Always said I'm never good with names ... should have checked I suppose, but you at least knew what I meant in my quick response ... that I thought was most likely a long shot. o:)

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

It seems to me, only because I haven't noticed you mention it, and it may not be a solution (too simplistic), that your program detects that the window is present and visible, but just not active.

Except that on a locked system, the window will never be active.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator