If/ElseIf/Else

Greetings:

I am asking a best practices question.  I am scripting to check on a variety of vendor (Envisionware) product versions.  The script will query XP, possibly XP x-64, Win7 both 32 and 64 bit systems.  My question is this:  Since I know that some systems have both  Program Files (x86)Envisionware  and  Program FilesEnvisionware  folders, do I need to allow for a "dummy" variable ($x) in an Else statement.  Is there a more elegant way?  See my code below.  By the way, forgive me if I forgot the code tags and make ugly code display, and thanks for your help. 

Ya'll (yes, I'm from GA and AL mostly) are very amusing, dealing with dogs who think they can post trash on your site without consequences.  I really like your explanations of why someone gets banned, etc.  It's not like I haven't been inadvertently rude, but it's nice to see the "entitled generation" get their dues.

<autoit>

dim $x = 0

If FileExists ("C:Program Files" & "Envisionware" ...) Then
  $x86 = FileGetVersion ("C:Program Files" & "Envisionware" ...)
ElseIf FileExists ("C:Program Files (x86)" & "Envisionware" ...) Then
  $x64 = FileGetVersion ("C:Program Files (x86)" & "Envisionware" ...)
Else $x = 0
EndIf

</autoit>

|Ah, it looks like I need a reminder on posting code...

Edited by aleph01

Meds.  They're not just for breakfast anymore. :'(

Personally, I check the usual place/s, then provide a File Select dialog if not found.

That seems to be the simplest solution, as in reality, it could probably be installed anywhere?

I also back that up with file exists checks for later program executions ... and file browse prompts if necessary.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I think I understand your question.  If so, this will make sense, otherwise just let me know I'm off base :P

An If, ElseIf doesn't NEED an Else at the end of it.  You can just EndIf without using an Else at all (just using multiple ElseIf if that is what you are after).  So there would be no point or need for $x in your example code.

Edited by danwilli

TheSaint:

WooHoo!  I think FileSelectFolder will help me.  Didn't bring enough home with me to work on this before Monday (I'm hourly, no OT or on call officially, but I work on .au3 scripts for work at home when the need arises.)  Don't understand your reference to file browse prompts, though.  Can you bring your lingo on that down to noob level?  Thanks.

danwilli,

Yes, that answers my question exactly.  Thanks to TheSaint for also helpful input.  Like your Zappa.  He's not forgotten - he pioneered freedom of speech in art.

Thanks again, all.  I'll be back.

_aleph_

TheSaint:

Don't understand your reference to file browse prompts, though.  Can you bring your lingo on that down to noob level?  Thanks.

That only applies, if the program gets re-installed to another location or the exe name changes (upgrade, etc) .... anything to do with the filepath.

Basically, if the file exists check comes up negative, then you present the user with a prompt, which is pretty much a similar version of the File Select dialog.

That's just for insurance though, and definitely not required, unless you want to be thorough.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png