Some question regarding script performance?

I have some question regarding autoit performance?

lets say i have a 2000 line of text, with max 30 char / line, I would do something big for each line, what should i do for best performance?

Dim $aList
_FileReadToArray($MyFile, $aList)

For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
  Local $line = $aList[$i]
  ;I do something
Next

or

$hFile = FileOpen($MyFile)
While 1
  Local $line = FileReadLine($hFile)
  If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
  ;I do something
WEnd

the problem is, I am going to copy this script and run it together, maybe 20 or 30 instance, each script will take about a couple of hours to complete, so what are your thoughts?

Don't declare variables inside loops and I would personally use the first choice.

Local $aList = 0
_FileReadToArray('SomeTextFile.txt', $aList)

Local $sLine = ''
For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
  $sLine  = $aList[$i] ; No idea why you want to assign a secondary variable?
  ; Add code.
Next
Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Don't declare variables inside loops and I would personally use the first choice.

Local $aList = 0
_FileReadToArray('SomeTextFile.txt', $aList)

Local $sLine = ''
For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
  $sLine  = $aList[$i] ; No idea why you want to assign a secondary variable?
  ; Add code.
Next
Thanks guinness, for your question, I wrote it just to keep the script looks like the second option,

there is one thing I forget, the script will modify the file, remove the line that has been successfully processed, and leaving the line that failed in the process, what is your view about this

Just assign the array variable as a blank string and then iterate through array like so, writing to a file. Simple.

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $sFileWrite = ''
For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
    If $aList[$i] Then 
        $sFileWrite &= $aList[$i] & @CRLF
    EndIf
Next

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen('Log.txt', $FO_OVERWRITE)
If $hFileOpen > -1 Then ; If not an error.
    FileWrite($sFileWrite)
    FileClose($hFileOpen)
EndIf

"I have 10,999 problems and AutoIt ain't one of them!"

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

You're welcome. Glad you understood.

UDF List:

Just assign the array variable as a blank string and then iterate through array like so, writing to a file. Simple.

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $sFileWrite = ''
For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
    If $aList[$i] Then 
        $sFileWrite &= $aList[$i] & @CRLF
    EndIf
Next

Local $hFileOpen = FileOpen('Log.txt', $FO_OVERWRITE)
If $hFileOpen > -1 Then ; If not an error.
    FileWrite($sFileWrite)
    FileClose($hFileOpen)
EndIf

"I have 10,999 problems and AutoIt ain't one of them!"

Just for info for others, do not do this when using large files, (taken from what i read)

... Despite its innocent look, this code can cause a huge performance penalty for large files: for instance, it takes almost a minute to read a 350 Kbyte file.

Why is that? To understand what happens, let us assume that we are in the middle of the read loop; each line has 25 bytes and we have already read some 1000 lines, so buff is a string with 25 Kbytes. When Script concatenates $sFileWrite &= $aList[$i] & @CRLF, it creates a new string with 25025 bytes and copies 25000 bytes from buff into this new string. That is, for each new line, Script moves 25 Kbytes of memory, and growing. After reading 100 new lines (only 2,5 Kbytes), Script has already moved more than ~2,5 Mbytes of memory. More to the point, the algorithm is quadratic. When Script finishes reading 350 Kbytes, it has moved around more than 25 Gbytes.

Where did you get the quote from and what is it referencing as far as code goes?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

This from several sources about immutable strings, I have not tried guinness code, because as I read, it seems it would be a problem, because as I explained above, I will run multiple instances of this script, I chose another alternative for my problem 

You read something about coding in Lua and extrapolated it to AutoIt and disingenuously changed the text in your quote to fit your preconception.

http://www.lua.org/pil/11.6.html

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Yes, i do,  Is not string in autoit also immutable, by the way i use this code

Global $aList = 0
_FileReadToArray($FileList, $aList)

Global $sLine = ''
For $i = 1 To $aList[0]
  ; Add code.
  ; If code success then
  $aList[$i] = ""
Next

_ArrayRemoveBlanks($aList)
_FileWriteFromArray($FileList, $aList, 1)

Func _ArrayRemoveBlanks(ByRef $array)
  $n = 0
  For $i = 0 To UBound($array) - 1
    If $array[$i] <> "" Then
      $array[$n] = $array[$i]
      $n += 1
    EndIf
  Next
  ReDim $array[$n]
EndFunc

Well, when reading in a 23MB + file, and using the code from guiness to move it from an array to a string, it uses about 28MB of memory. Using nothing but a While/Wend infinite loop uses 8MB of memory by itself. So, no I don't think the 2 are at all compatible.

Also, the way you altered the text to fit what you were trying to "prove" is pretty low-handed. You can see by the link I provided that you didn't do anything more than remove all references to Lua and pretended it had something to do with AutoIt.

Strings in AutoIt are not immutable as far as I can see how the word is defined, you can freely alter all or only parts of a string at any time, so they're not constant and unchangeable.

You might want to look at the definition of quoting.

To repeat or copy the words of (another), usually with acknowledgment of the source.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quoting

UDF List:

This problem is not peculiar to Lua: other languages wherein strings are immutable values present a similar behavior, Java being the most famous example.

now we have to find out, whether string in autoit it's immutable or mutable.