File Download without URL

Hi all,

I'm using an embedded IE object to fill in a form and submit it. The form uses the POST method and has a Javascript function which runs when the form is submitted and changes some values according to what is entered into the form and generates a nonce, etc. When the form is submitted a file download is triggered.

How could I deal with this because at the minute the file download dialog is appearing? The only way I can think of is to send a keypress when the file download window becomes active but I have seen that this is not reliable.

Thanks in advance

Edited by meisandy

send a screenshot, and the output of the autoit window info tool (if it's a popup).

Control* functions and Window* functions are reliable, if it's a popup

Edited by jdelaney
IEbyXPATH-Grab IE DOM objects by XPATH IEscriptRecord-Makings of an IE script recorder ExcelFromXML-Create Excel docs without excel installed GetAllWindowControls-Output all control data on a given window.

Here is the File Download dialog that appears (left) and window information for it (right)Download_Window.png

For future reference... if you activate a window (bring it into focus) then press Ctrl+PrtScn, it will screen capture the focused window only. so you can save time from having to redact information from the screen capture.

Edit:

This is true for Win7, for xp the keycombo is Ctrl+Alt+PrtScn... I dont know about Vista

Edited by Wombat

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

For future reference... if you activate a window (bring it into focus) then press Ctrl+PrtScn, it will screen capture the focused window only. so you can save time from having to redact information from the screen capture.

Edit:

This is true for Win7, for xp the keycombo is Ctrl+Alt+PrtScn... I dont know about Vista

Good suggestion, only if you hadn't completely mangled the keys ;)

It is Alt+PrtScr for all of them. Probably goes back to Win95, if not longer.

Ctrl does nothing, or at least not that.

Good suggestion, only if you hadn't completely mangled the keys ;)

It is Alt+PrtScr for all of them. Probably goes back to Win95, if not longer.

Ctrl does nothing, or at least not that.

I meant that :sweating::whistle:

Just look at us.
Everything is backwards; everything is upside down. Doctors destroy health. Lawyers destroy justice. Universities destroy knowledge. Governments destroy freedom. The major media destroy information and religions destroy spirituality. ~ Michael Ellner

The internet is our one and only hope at a truly free world, do not let them take it from us...

Can you post your code so we can see what you are doing (makes it easier to help) or is this a private website?

I'm very sorry and I understand that it does make it harder for you to help me but the website is private. However if there is any code you would like to see in particular I could post 'snippets'...

Would ControlSend("File Download", "", "", "{ESC}") work?

Pressing the Esc key when the dialog appears does work really well, when I do it manually. However for some reason the code I posted earlier it is a bit hit and miss. Even when the File Download window is clearly active the code inside the If statement doesn't execute, and when I don't have the If statement all types of random things happen.

Forget winactive, use winexists, then winactivate, then Send("{SPACE}"), or enter or whatever key does what you want.

WinExists works a treat! Thank you! And I don't need to use WinActivate because ControlSend() still works perfectly.

And thank you NewPlaza for indirectly informing me about the Esc key being able to close the File Download box. :)