Run & ShellExecute Behavior Help

Go to solution Solved by JohnOne,

Simply put, I have a "mother" program that runs other .exe's ... "children" ...  in a sub folder based on what a user checks on a GUI provided.

Using the following code from the "Mother", I get an @Error that one of the "children" return... telling me the excel file it is trying to Open could not be found. (Note: The "mother" program does not have any errors. I error check like I breath oxygen...)

However... If I run the child myself, it runs without any problem. Any ideas?

While 1
   $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
   Switch $nMsg
      Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
         Exit
      Case $oChild
         If GUICtrlRead($AZ) = $GUI_CHECKED Then
            $site = "AZ"
            Run(@ScriptDir & "\Site_Specific\"&$site&"\"&$site&".exe")
         EndIf
   EndSwitch
WEnd

EDIT: I love how my topic title is about behavioral problems... And my post is about "mothers" and "children". :D

EDIT2: I have quadruple checked to make sure paths were defined correctly. I have also tried running the child through scite as an au3... making sure it works properly... and then recompiling. No issues. Mother runs it? Not happening.

Edited by Andreu

@NewPlaza: No, all children are returning this message. They are near-exact replica's of one another... only changing based on the site.

(The purpose of Mother + Children = The Children process an excel report for 7 sites that I support at work... Each selected child from the GUI will run the report for that site. This way, its effectively doing 7 reports at once... all of them going 10x faster than a human could. Can't be bothered to do these by hand anymore with some new business coming up.)

@JohnOne: That was my immediate thought, because I did have to use FileChangeDir.

My directory structure is like this: ..Mother.exeSite_SpecificAZAZ.exe

The reports (the .xlsx files) are located in the same folder as the mother, and so in the children files I use the following code to obtain the proper directory address for the report to be pulled.

$ScriptDir = @ScriptDir
$specificSite = "JX"
$sTitle = $specificSite&"_Adherence_Report.xlsx"
FileChangeDir("..\..\")
$sFilePath1 = @WorkingDir&"\"&$sTitle

I did try what you suggested however, and placed FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir) immediately after the code above to change the working dir back to normal... But shouldn't I be getting this error when I run the child directly? I can't think of a reason the .exe would act differently when ran by another .exe... compared to when it is ran manually.

By god if I have to I'll make the mother go in and MouseClick the files!  :ranting:

Seems I'm missing something silly.

EDIT:

Just FYI, I have run all children programs individually (directly, me clicking them myself) without any problems. Only when the mother runs them (regardless of how many... while testing, I only select 1 at a time), do I run into issues.

EDIT2:

Just tried RunAs using my credentials to see if it was hitting Administrative Rights walls. No such luck.

Edited by Andreu

I would take out:

FileChangeDir("..\..\")

This could give you problems anytime you move the kids or if directory structure changes.

Maybe you can try passing the infomation the the kids via $cmdline

If $CMDLINE[0] Then
    $ReportLocation = $CMDLINE[1]
Else
    Exit
EndIf

This way, it doesnt matter where the reports are. The kiddies will always know where to reports are located at.

The directory structure will never change. There's things in the mother that will scream at you if she can't find her kids. (Lol :D)

I fixed it however. For some reason, I had to reset the working directory like this:

$ScriptDir = @ScriptDir
FileChangeDir(@ScriptDir)
$specificSite = "PL"
$sTitle = $specificSite&"_Adherence_Report.xlsx"
FileChangeDir("..\..\")
$sFilePath1 = @WorkingDir&"\"&$sTitle

I would have thought the working directory (if changed) reset back to default when the program was closed and reopened. Live and learn :).

Edit: After looking back at this thread, I realize this is exactly what JohnOne suggested. When I tried it the first time, I just put it in the wrong place for the reason just above this. So, thank you John :D.

Edited by Andreu

It's normally Parent and Child/Children.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Ha, no clue why you did that?! But I was telling you because in the future if you need to search it's best to have the correct terms.

Hope you don't mind, but your code was incorrectly formatted as well as containing an error. I appreciate sarcasm, but I also appreciate good code.

#include <Constants.au3>

Local $sWhatISaid = "Mother", _
        $sWhatYouSaid = "Parent", _
        $sMother = "Parent"
If $sWhatISaid = "Mother" And $sMother = "Parent" Then
    ; $sWhatISaid = $sMother
    If StringCompare($sWhatISaid, $sWhatYouSaid) = 0 Then
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Hmm...", "Yea, I couldn't find a difference either.")
    Else
        MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Hmm...", "Seems there is a difference. Thanks guinness.")
    EndIf
EndIf

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

HAHA! I knew you were going to do that. Yea, I'm aware of the true terminology. I'm just used to explaining things on a 'Wheels on the bus' level from working so much this week.

Take no offense to my sarcasm ;). It's out of good humor.

I didn't disappoint then -_0! But I hope you see where I was coming from in my post.

UDF List:

In retrospect, yea.

Threw me off because the original problem was never the interaction or communication between Parent/Child, but the end result compared between the Parent running it, and me running it manually. So it just wasn't quite what I was expected. 

Good to hear.

UDF List: