Unhandle exception

Well I tried to upload an exe file to see if anyone wants to try this for themselves.

But basically once executed its prints 'abnormal termination'.

Now you only see this message when you run it through command prompt. Its error level is 3.

Otherwise when you click the exe and run it you normally dont see anything.

Say I am running a program and get this type of error. Where would I go checking?

Example: Say I run microsoft word and this error comes up.(you dont see it, but you know its there)

the executable name and the exit code (a.k.a. errorlevel) is practically all Google needs to give you your answer.

"abnormal termination" is a commonly used message, probably not useful, but anyway not necessary.

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

This is the code I got:(my own code that is)

#include-once
#include <Constants.au3>

;#include <.\backup_100\Library\Error_log.au3>

Func AbnormalCmd()

Local $DOS, $message = ""

;$gInteractiveLog = 0

;ACRAOpenLog("OLOS.log", 2)

Local $DOS = Run(@ComSpec & " /k unhandled_exception.exe", "", @SW_HIDE, $STDERR_MERGED)

While 1

ProcessWaitClose($DOS)
        $message = StdoutRead($DOS)
        If @error = 0 Then

ACRAOutputinfo("")
            ACRAOutputerror($message)

Return ">0"

ExitLoop
        Else
            ACRAOutputinfo("No Error detected")
        EndIf
    WEnd

Return 0

;ACRACloseLog()

EndFunc   ;==>AbnormalCmd

;Func Test_Abnormal()
;    Return AbnormalCmd()
;EndFunc   ;==>Test_Abnormal

;Test_Abnormal()

Edited by olo

You have a Return above ExitLoop, if you didn't know.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You can if remove that first Return and use a variable to assign your return data.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

You need to give us additional information.

• Operating system? 32 or 64 bit?
  • Is unhandled_exception.exe a 32 or 64 bit application?
  • Do you run the AutoIt script as 32 or 64 bit?
  • Version of AutoIt you run?
  • Any entries in the event log?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You can if remove that first Return and use a variable to assign your return data.

But that's not really related to the OPs problem, is it?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

1) what stops you from disclosing the executable name to this forum?

2) what is the origin of the name of your variable ACRAOutputinfo ? what is ACRA?

edit: sorry, water beat me to it, 2 posts ago.

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

Google offers a lot of explanations:

• ACRA (Application Crash Reports for Android)
  • Air Canada Recreation Association
  • Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority Singapore

Let's see what the OP tells us.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

well firstly for some reason I am not allowed to upload an exe file as an attachment.

@water everything is 32-bit

Basically:

I am running a program.(Microsoft word)

I get an error message(I dont see it, but I know its there)

Where do I check to see if that error message occured?

unhandled_exceptions is an exe file designed to simulate the problem. I use it in my code but in reality I want to just detect it I get a message somewhere saying "abnormal termination occured"

Google offers a lot of explanations:

• Air Canada Recreation Association
  • Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority Singapore

Let's see what the OP tells us.

ACRA is the company I work for. It is not important at all(ACRAOutputinfo is just a call to a print function in a log I have)

yes, i saw this, but i thought it'd be better coming from the OP

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

You know that Autoit comes with an UDF to automate Microsoft Word. Error handling would be much easier with this UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You know that Autoit comes with an UDF to automate Microsoft Word. Error handling would be much easier with this UDF.

microsoft word is just an example I use for the forum here(everyone knows about it).

Ideally I want to run a software at work. That will run some tests.

I want to see while its running those tests if I get an "abnormal termination occurred" message which has an %errorlevel% of 3

Edited by olo

I am running a program.(Microsoft word)

unhandled_exceptions is an exe file designed to simulate the problem

winword.exe does not issue exit codes.

if you succeeded to simulate the issue so well, then you obviously know how to create the failure, so you know what the failure is.

did you create unhandled_exceptions.exe? if so, why won't you reverse-engineer to understand it?

generally, it is the role of the vendor of any executable, to provide it's exit codes and their meanings.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

do you mean that you want to write a script to capture and analyse exit code 3 of other executables?

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

do you mean that you want to write a script to capture and analyse exit code 3 of other executables?

Yea. Exactly(so I dont have a specific executable as I want to run the script for different programs(word, excel, software at work...)

And when that errorlevel of 3 is capture I will return ">0" as I have in my code.

so you have the "capture" part going well?

the "analyse" will differ between executables - exit code 3 would mean very different conditions for different executables.

if you are asking for a database that stores info about many executables and their exit codes (like eventid.net for event log entries), then i don't know of any, but someone else might. anyway most likely it will not have just what you will be looking for (Murphy in action, you know).

Edited by orbs

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

so you have the "capture" part going well?

the "analyse" will differ between executables - exit code 3 would mean very different conditions for different executables.

if you are asking for a database that stores info about many executables and their exit codes (like eventid.net for event log entries), then i don't know of any, but someone else might. anyway most likely it will not have just what you will be looking for (Murphy in action, you know).

I have everything else setup correctly(or at least Im happy with)

It is finding the capture point that I want instead of using the unhandled_exceptions.exe all the time