AutoIt vs. PowerShell

Hello Everyone,

I know that this is an AutoIt forum and that everyone here loves AutoIt (as I do). But, I was hoping that some of you whom might have experience with PowerShell could provide me with a more objective comparison as to whether it makes more sense to use AutoIt or PowerShell as my primary "wrapper" for driving all of the software deployments within my company. Currently, I'm using VBScript for my "wrapper" template, but I'm seriously thinking about switching to either AutoIt or PowerShell.

Which one should I use and why?

You could use both. Call PowerShell from AutoIt.

Why:

AutoIt is easy to learn. Moving from VBScript to AutoIt shouldn't be a problem.

Powershell is powerfull. Some things that can't be done with AutoIt can be done using PS.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

You could use both. Call PowerShell from AutoIt.

Why:

AutoIt is easy to learn. Moving from VBScript to AutoIt shouldn't be a problem.

Powershell is powerfull. Some things that can't be done with AutoIt can be done using PS.

with aut2exe you can create an encrypted executable script embedding everything you need, and than execute them everywhere (on every NT version ) without installing bloaded components ...

have you never tried to do this with vbscript or with powershell ?

Here is the >link how to combine AutoIt and Powershell.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Thanks, water! You make some great points - using AutoIt as my primary foundation or "wrapper" I have GUI functions AND I can use PowerShell from within AutoIt (even adding a GUI for PowerShell functionality)! The best of both worlds!

Does anyone else have any suggestions/input?

Just an observation.

I run PS from Autoit by directly calling powershell.exe to create an Exchange mailbox. It runs forever (about 30 seconds) and uses a huge amount of storage (about 160 MB).

So I use PS only if I can't avoid it.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

I would agree with Water - I've used PowerShell in the past, but now only do so when I cannot accomplish something purely with AutoIt (which is rare).

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

I recently began using Powershell as its far easier/safer to accomplish Active Directory tasks in Powershell than in Autoit though.

Did you have a look at my AD UDF? I'm sure it is faster and easier than PS.

What do you think makes PS safer than AutoIt regarding AD?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

No offence but I would just much rather use Powershell as it has been designed by Microsoft with an aim to make windows server based tasks easier.

The AD Cmdlets are so easy to work with it makes automating tasks a breeze

• Moderators

It is a personal choice, to be sure, scubar. I see AutoIt the same way - it has been designed to work with the Windows API, and to make tasks easier (not only server tasks). And from my personal use of the AD Cmdlets, I have only found one task out of literally hundreds of scripts that I could not do more easily in AutoIt. It's all about your experiences with a language, I guess :)

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

No offence taken :)

If you feel better using PS to interact with AD, fine. The AD UDF was started when there was no Powershell available.

As JLogan3o13 said: It is a personal choice.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

icecola321,

is this post related to the subject? Don't understand what you try to tell us. Please use Google translate to create a meaningful english post.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

with aut2exe you can create an encrypted executable script embedding everything you need, and than execute them everywhere (on every NT version ) without installing bloaded components ...

Mostly true, except for the "encrypted" part; the security (integrity) of a complied script has been discussed time and time again on this forum.

I didn't want to leave that (as slight as it may seem) hanging out there.  It could be ill or un-informed info, but I don't want other un-informed users to adopt it.

The ultimate lesson here is, don't script something you aren't willing to risk being seen by prying eyes (such as sensitive names, sites and credentials).

Sorry for the rant.

Anyways, both PowerShell and AutoIt are great.  I mostly have AutoIt experience and it has worked well for me.

I have also heard (and experienced some) of the slowness of PowerShell. Just another good reason to go with AutoIt.

I have decided to go ahead an migrate my template from VBScript to AutoIt.

I want to thank everyone for their input!

Despite what new members may think--specifically one's who want something for nothing or clearly disregard the rules--this forum is a great resource/community for learning; so please don't hesitate to ask for help when needed.

I do not know about powershell. But i must say one thing "autoit is an easiest tool in programming". 

Life is like a coin. You can spend it Anyway as you wish and for your kind information. "you can spend it only once."

Adnan,

do you really think this helps the OP? Would be better posted in the Chat section.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Moderators

I do not know about powershell. But i must say one thing "autoit is an easiest tool in programming". 

Adnan, every time you start spamming threads with these irrelevant posts you get warned by a Mod. How long before you actually learn?

Back on topic - the other big difference in my mind is GUI goodness in AutoIt. I much prefer building a GUI in AutoIt (despite the limitation in the look and feel of windows) rather than a wpf app in PowerShell.