StdoutRead a Powershell window.

Go to solution Solved by blckpythn,

I have a script that executes powershell commands to interact with Office 365(Microsoft hosted Exchange service).

I want to hide the powershell window and interpret the output silently, so that non-savvy users can reset passwords and such without having to learn powershell or understand its errors.

However, when I use:

Func RunCommand($commandtorun)
    $output = ""
    If WinExists("Administrator:") Then WinActivate("Administrator:")
    Send($commandtorun & "{ENTER}")
    While 1
        $output &= StdoutRead($pwshell)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
    WEnd
    MsgBox(0, "stdoutread", $output)
EndFunc   ;==>RunCommand

It doesn't exit the loop until I close the powershell window.(by design I believe)

Is there another way to return just a particular command's output?

Also, if I use $Stdin_child, the powershell window doesn't display its prompt for a command until I close my script.

Is that by design also?

How are you starting the powershell command window? The Run command allows you to read the StdIO streams, have you tried that?

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

How are you starting the powershell command window? The Run command allows you to read the StdIO streams, have you tried that?

I'm starting it with the following and having trouble with the stdoutread command.

$pwshell = Run(@SystemDir & '\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe  -NoExit -Command "Import-Module MSOnline"', "", @SW_SHOW, $STDERR_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD)

The issue with powershell not showing the prompt is when I add

+ $stdin_child

after

$stderr_child + $stdout_child

I have not tried anything else.

Edited by blckpythn

To keep PowerShell hidden maybe the >COM interface helps.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Little update: Even though it doesn't show the prompt when using $STDIN_CHILD, I can successfully use the StdinWrite() command.

However, StdoutRead still isn't getting any data or exiting its loop.

Edited by blckpythn

I have a working example I will post on Monday.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

That's the way I grab the PS output:

$sCMD = "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command . " & _
            "'D:\Exchange Server\V14\bin\RemoteExchange.ps1'; Connect-ExchangeServer -auto; Enable-Mailbox -Identity " & _
            $Kurzzeichen & " -Alias " & $Kurzzeichen & " -Database " & $sEXDatabase & $sSMTPAddress
    $pid = Run($sCMD, @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD + $STDERR_CHILD)
    StdinWrite($pid, @CRLF)
    StdinWrite($pid)
    ; Ausgabe von STDOUT
    $sSTDOUT = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StdoutRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDOUT = $sSTDOUT & @CRLF & $sOutput
    WEnd
    ; Ausgabe von STDERR
    $sSTDERR = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StderrRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then $sSTDERR = $sSTDERR & @CRLF & $sOutput
    WEnd

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

What I posted is only one example and it should grab StdOut and StdErr as soon as Run returned. Try this:

$sCMD = "C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe -command . " & _
            "'D:\Exchange Server\V14\bin\RemoteExchange.ps1'; Connect-ExchangeServer -auto; Enable-Mailbox -Identity " & _
            $Kurzzeichen & " -Alias " & $Kurzzeichen & " -Database " & $sEXDatabase & $sSMTPAddress
    $pid = Run($sCMD, @SystemDir, @SW_HIDE, $STDIN_CHILD + $STDOUT_CHILD + $STDERR_CHILD)
    StdinWrite($pid, @CRLF)
    StdinWrite($pid)
    ; Ausgabe von STDOUT
    $sSTDOUT = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StdoutRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then 
          $sSTDOUT = $sSTDOUT & @CRLF & $sOutput
          ConsoleWrite($sOutput & @CRLF)
        EndIf
    WEnd
    ; Ausgabe von STDERR
    $sSTDERR = ""
    While 1
        $sOutput = StderrRead($pid)
        If @error Then ExitLoop
        If $sOutput <> "" Then 
            $sSTDERR = $sSTDERR & @CRLF & $sOutput
            ConsoleWrite($sOutput & @CRLF)
        EndIf
    WEnd

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

What I posted is only one example and it should grab StdOut and StdErr as soon as Run returned. Try this:...

The thing is, I'm running powershell with -NoExit because I'm having to authenticate with O365 and that involves running a few commands sequentially.

Then I have to leave that session open to let the user pass commands to. So the proccess doesn't send an @error to StderrRead. Therefor, it doesn't return anything until after the session is ended.

This doesn't help me because I need the errors DURING the session.

I have to run

$LiveCred = Get-Credential <--they need to provide their credentials or I will have them input it earlier and automate it.

Then $Session = New-PSSession -ConfigurationName Microsoft.Exchange -ConnectionUri https://ps.outlook.com/powershell/ -Credential $LiveCred -Authentication Basic –AllowRedirection

Then Import-PSSession $Session

Then Connect-MsolService <--again, credentials needed.

After all that, they can start resetting passwords and whatnot, but I want to monitor for errors WHILE powershell is still open.

Am I not making sense or doing it stupidly?

Makes sense.

In this case I would have a look at the PS COM interface as I have posted before. Seems to allow to send command by command and return the result in a buffer.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Makes sense.

In this case I would have a look at the PS COM interface as I have posted before. Seems to allow to send command by command and return the result in a buffer.

I followed the link in that post but cannot find the ActiveXPoSH download.

Did you register an account as described >here?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Then I suggest to PM ptrex because he is the author of the OP.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Don't think it counts as recro-posting. It is just helpful for others :)

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:

Standard UDFs:
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

• Solution

Got it!

Using ActiveXPosh, the example of:

Func ExecuteCMD($sPSCmd)
 Dim $outtext
 ; Set the $OUTPUT mode to $BUFFER
 $ActiveXPosh.OutputMode = $OUTPUT_BUFFER
 $ActiveXPosh.Execute($sPSCmd)

; Get the $OUTPUT line by line and add it to a variable
 For $str In $ActiveXPosh.OUTPUT()
   $outtext =  $outtext & $str
  $outtext =  $outtext & @CRLF
 Next

; Alternatively you can get the $OUTPUT as a single String
; $outtext = $ActiveXPosh.OutputString
 ConsoleWrite ($outtext & @CR)

$ActiveXPosh.ClearOutput() ; Empty the $OUTPUT $BUFFER
EndFunc

Works perfectly for getting the return of individual commands without "exiting" the session.