Why Does and Exe Tries to Contact My ISP DNS ?

Hi,

I compile my aue into and exe file. I ran the exe and my firewall showed that when I run the exe something tries to make contact with my ISP's DNS server.

It occured to me I start the program with _FFConnect(). But that's a telnet to Mozrepl in Firefox. Isn't it? Could that be doing it?

If I block the access "request" by the exe to the DNS server it doesn't work. It runs but no GUI and I think it times out.

Thanks

It could be something to do with the way you are handling the _FFConnect() error in your script. If you prevent internet access, you need to look again at your code and check you have a method to handle such a situation.

If the script runs okay when not compiled it could be that it is able to access the internet because of firewall permissions you have set (or which may have been set automatically). It might be an idea to post some code if you can't solve it yourself.

Edited by czardas

So with the code below if I do "Go" from Scite it does not try to contact the DNS server. But if I compile it to a exe and run it, it does try to contact the DNS server. Yes I guess 127.0.0.1 is an IP that is going to be resolved, but I thought it happens in my local host file. And why does attempted DNS access only happen when I run the exe? Again if when running the exe I deny access to the DNS server the script will not run...Thanks, no major issue, but I'd like to know why this happens.

#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <FF.au3>

If Not _FFConnect(Default, Default, 6000) Then
    MsgBox(0,"","Can Not Connect")
Else
    MsgBox(0,"","Yes, I Can Connect")
EndIf

IP addresses aren't resolved using DNS, they're already "resolved" because you're using an IP Address. DNS is only used when you have a URL or computer name that you need converted to an IP address so that the computer/internet hardware can find it on the network/internet. TCP and UDP don't work with names, they need IP addresses.

I don't see where in the FF script that it would try to resolve any names to IP addresses unless it's in the mozrepl plugin.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Why only when the exe runs and not the same code from SciTe->Go? I've played with Mozrepl a lot with telnet clients and telnet packages in other languages, only the exe causes this so far. I'll find a Mozrepl forum if I can and ask. Thank You.

Might be a security check by the OS (Windows Open File Security Warning). When you download an exe from the i-net and start it afterwards then some security checks will be made and a server will be connected - might be a MS server.

Might be the same security check.

Br,

UEZ

Edited by UEZ

Please don't send me any personal message and ask for support! I will not reply!

Selection of finest graphical examples at Codepen.io

The own fart smells best!
Her 'sikim hıyar' diyene bir avuç tuz alıp koşma!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯  ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ૐ