Need comparison help....Versions

I am trying to find the best way to go about a version comparison.  I am not wanting to compare file versions or anything like that.  I need to do a comparsion on what information is in a variable.

It's for a script version tool I'm maintaining.

The current version is say 5.2.1.

I need to find a good way of future proofing this with a check.  I need to perform one action if the script version is less than 5.2.1, but if it is 5.2.1 or anything newer, I need to perform a different action.

So I am thinking I am going to have to do some kind of recursive check after splitting the script version at the "."s.  

For example, a future script version could be 5.2.5 or 7.5.4.

So I guess I could use a stringsplit function and check the first # to see if it is great than 5 and then check the second # to see if it is greater than 2., etc.

Any suggestions on the most efficient way to go about this?

-hogfan

_VersionCompare. Search the help file.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

if they are all like strings, normal evaluation seems to also be fine

_CheckVer("7.5.4")
_CheckVer("5.2.1")
_CheckVer("5.2.0")

Func _CheckVer($ver)
    If $ver > "5.2.1" Then
        msgbox (0, '' , "newer then 5.2.1")
    Else
        msgbox(0, '' , "5.2.1 or older")
    Endif
Endfunc

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I wouldn't recommend it just in case.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

They will all be strings, because I'm not using FileGetVersion to read the file version.  These different script versions will be manually added to a configuration file one of my combo boxes is populated from.  Then the user will pick the version from there.  So the _VersionCompare function will still work fine, even though I'm not dealing with a file version?  Thanks for the info.

-hogfan

• Developers

if they are all like strings, normal evaluation seems to also be fine

_CheckVer("7.5.4")
_CheckVer("5.2.1")
_CheckVer("5.2.0")

Func _CheckVer($ver)
    If $ver > "5.2.1" Then
    Else
    Endif
Endfunc

Are you sure this is fullproof?

try:

_CheckVer("7.5.4")
_CheckVer("5.2.1")
_CheckVer("25.2.1")

Func _CheckVer($ver)
    If $ver > "5.2.1" Then
    Else
    Endif
Endfunc

Jos :)

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

Indeed, the phrase "like strings" is not foolproof.   :)  it seems to work for evaluating this string against other strings consisting of  #.#.# 

Edited by boththose

Casting as numbers should solve it.

UDF List:

it does.  Are there still pitfalls when done that way, that _VersionCompare overcomes?

_CheckVer("25.2.0")
_CheckVer("7.5.4")
_CheckVer("5.2.1")
_CheckVer("5.2.0")

Func _CheckVer($ver)
    If number($ver) > number("5.2.1") Then
    Else
    Endif
Endfunc

It steps through the numbers that are separated by , or . Actually the function could do with a re-write as it's StringInStr isn't really required.

Edit: And there is no example! Re-write time.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

• Developers

it does.  Are there still pitfalls when done that way, that _VersionCompare overcomes?

_CheckVer("25.2.0")
_CheckVer("7.5.4")
_CheckVer("5.2.1")
_CheckVer("5.2.0")

Func _CheckVer($ver)
    If number($ver) > number("5.2.1") Then
    Else
    Endif
Endfunc

Nah try: _CheckVer("5.12.0")

Jos

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Hi all, must be interpreted more correctly the line written incorrectly _VersionCompareEx("5.2.3", "5,2,3") or _VersionCompareEx("5..1", "5.0.1") ect ect

; #FUNCTION# ====================================================================================================================
; Name...........: _VersionCompareEx
; Description ...: Compares two file versions for equality
; Syntax.........: _VersionCompare($sVersion1, $sVersion2)
; Parameters ....: $sVersion1   - IN - The first version
;                  $sVersion2   - IN - The second version
; Return values .: Success      - Following Values:
;                  | 0          - Both versions equal
;                  | 1          - Version 1 greater
;                  |-1          - Version 2 greater
;                  Failure      - @error will be set in the event of a catasrophic error
; Author ........: Valik
; Modified.......: DXRW4E
; Modified.......:
; Remarks .......: This will try to use a numerical comparison but fall back on a lexicographical comparison.
;                  See @extended for details about which type was performed.
; Related .......:
; Link ..........:
; Example .......:
; ===============================================================================================================================
Func _VersionCompareEx($sVersion1, $sVersion2)
   If $sVersion1 = $sVersion2 Then Return 0
   Local $aVersion1 = StringRegExp($sVersion1, "[^,.]+", 3), $aVersion2 = StringRegExp($sVersion2, "[^,.]+", 3)
   Local $iVersion1 = UBound($aVersion1) - 1, $iVersion2 = UBound($aVersion2) - 1, $iVersion = $iVersion1
   If $iVersion2 < $iVersion Then $iVersion = $iVersion2
   For $i = 0 To $iVersion
      ; Compare this segment as numbers
      If StringIsDigit($aVersion1[$i]) And StringIsDigit($aVersion2[$i]) Then
         If Number($aVersion1[$i]) > Number($aVersion2[$i]) Then
            Return 1
         ElseIf Number($aVersion1[$i]) < Number($aVersion2[$i]) Then
            Return -1
         EndIf
      Else ; Compare the segment as strings
         SetExtended(1)
         If $aVersion1[$i] > $aVersion2[$i] Then
            Return 1
         ElseIf $aVersion1[$i] < $aVersion2[$i] Then
            Return -1
         EndIf
      EndIf
   Next
   If $iVersion1 > $iVersion2 Then Return 1
   If $iVersion1 < $iVersion2 Then Return -1
   Return SetError(2, 0, 0)
EndFunc   ;==>_VersionCompare

Ciao.

Edited by DXRW4E

apps-odrive.pngdrive_app_badge.png box-logo.png new_logo.png MEGA_Logo.png

StringSplit can be used like StringSplit($sVersion1, ",."), so no need for SRE in this example. Thanks by the way.

UDF List:

StringSplit can be used like StringSplit($sVersion1, ",."), so no need for SRE in this example. Thanks by the way.

I did not know that, Thank you

however I believe SRE helps more in this case

$a = StringSplit("5..1,2", ".,", 2)
;~ [0]|5
;~ [1]|
;~ [2]|1
;~ [3]|2

$a = StringRegExp("5..1,2", "[^.,]+", 3)
;~ [0]|5
;~ [1]|1
;~ [2]|2

Ciao.

apps-odrive.pngdrive_app_badge.png box-logo.png new_logo.png MEGA_Logo.png

I did not know that, Thank you

however I believe SRE helps more in this case

$a = StringSplit("5..1,2", ".,", 2)
;~ [0]|5
;~ [1]|
;~ [2]|1
;~ [3]|2

$a = StringRegExp("5..1,2", "[^.,]+", 3)
;~ [0]|5
;~ [1]|1
;~ [2]|2

Ciao.

True. Though we can't always protect users from themselves.

UDF List:

• Developers

Actually I would consider the output from regex wrong as I would expect that  5..1.2 translates to 5.0.1.2.

Why are we also handling the comma in versioncheck? I thought only decimal points were supported.

Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

Why are we also handling the comma in versioncheck? I thought only decimal points were supported.

Jos

That has been there since it was added all the back in rev 1736 when it was called _CompareVersion.

UDF List:

• Developers

That has been there since it was added all the back in rev 1736 when it was called _CompareVersion.

Understand, but you can't use any comma's in the #autoit3wrapper and #pragma directives, so that triggered my question.

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.