Plugins (deprecated)

Jon

Mostly. There are a few notable projects that use it, like au3Irrlicht.

I've never seen a problem with using it. It's a good tool.

We need more information if you want help. What errors are you getting? What did you compile with?

Actually, try using the preprocessor directive meant to disable the warnings thrown by unknown function names:

#AutoIt3Wrapper_plugin_funcs= _funcName1, _funcName2, _funcName3

Put that at the top of your script, with the correct demo function names.

Edited by JRowe

• 2 months later...

For some time I've been contemplating using the plugin architecture as a very convenient way to bring ad hoc fast functions with an easy to use syntax and low overhead.

I'm now at a point where I need to make a strategic choice: rely on plugins or not. Thus I'd appreciate to have informed opinions about:

1/ the perenity of plugins

2/ their ability to deal with in and out native Unicode strings.

As I understand it after spending good time reading this thread and looking at members' realizations, plugins are essentially stable and unlikely to disappear anytime soon. But their handling of Unicode is still to develop, is a non-trivial task and has low priority.

Given that what I intended to use plugins for is in large part for native strings handling, I suppose I need to stick to DllCalls.

Does that reflect the current situation?

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 2 months later...

For some time I've been contemplating using the plugin architecture as a very convenient way to bring ad hoc fast functions with an easy to use syntax and low overhead.

I'm now at a point where I need to make a strategic choice: rely on plugins or not. Thus I'd appreciate to have informed opinions about:

1/ the perenity of plugins

2/ their ability to deal with in and out native Unicode strings.

As I understand it after spending good time reading this thread and looking at members' realizations, plugins are essentially stable and unlikely to disappear anytime soon. But their handling of Unicode is still to develop, is a non-trivial task and has low priority.

Given that what I intended to use plugins for is in large part for native strings handling, I suppose I need to stick to DllCalls.

Does that reflect the current situation?

I'm sure you've moved forward since this post, but your understanding of where plugins are does seem to be quite correct. They are in general a low priority. They do what they do currently quite well in my opinion. They are still lacking many features and functionality, but that's understandable considering they are a low priority of the language.

GL with your endeavors,

Jarvis

AutoIt Links

File-String Hash Plugin Updated! 04-02-2008 Plugins have been discontinued. I just found out.

ComputerGetInfo UDF's Updated! 11-23-2006

External Links

Vortex Revolutions Engineer / Inventor (Web, Desktop, and Mobile Applications, Hardware Gizmos, Consulting, and more)

• 8 months later...

I've created a .dll using the example.c "template" file that comes with AutoIT3. It compiles properly and everything seems to be working with the DLL.

Where do I put this plugin to be loaded by AutoIT?

I was looking for something like a plugins\ directory, but couldn't find one. Also, I see in the include\ directory there is a SQLite.au3 and SQLite.dll.au3. Is there some post-process that has to be run to convert the DLL from its native Win32 form to something AutoIT uses?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm also wondering if there's a feature (or could be) which allows AutoIT to parse a given line, such as:

foo_function($p1, $p2);

where "foo_function" is syntactically correct, but not found, and then have AutoIT automatically scan a plugins\ directory to look for .dlls that have the matching function name coded within the:

AU3_PLUGIN_FUNC g_AU3_Funcs[] = 
{
    /* Function Name, Min, Max */
    { "foo_function", 2, 2}
};

structure? This would seem to be a desirable trait, rather than explicitly calling PluginOpen().

- Rick C. Hodgin

Edited by RickCHodgin

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, there is an error in the example plugin.

Line 155:

if ( AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 || AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 )

Should be:

if ( AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 || AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[1]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 )

• 1 month later...

In the first post Jon Mentioned the removal of the PluginOpen Command in Favour of a Preproccessor Directive.

That was over six years ago.

Therefore is it safe to assume that this will not be implemented, and it is unlikely for there to be any script breaking changes to the plugin system?

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

That is not a safe assumption.

As a developer, would you be able to tell me if any changes to this system are on the table? and if yes, what they are?

ongoing projects:-firestorm: Largescale P2P Social NetworkCompleted Autoit Programs/Scripts: Variable Pickler | Networked Streaming Audio (in pure autoIT) | firenet p2p web messenger | Proxy Checker | Dynamic Execute() Code Generator | P2P UDF | Graph Theory Proof of Concept - Breadth First search

Any chance arrays as return are on the way? I have a plugin func which has to return a dynamically sized array. Since this isn't possible, only way to do it is some string formatting or struct passing. But both require an interface from autoit, and doing the string thing really leaks memory.

Best was something like this...

struct ArrayReturn
{
    unsigned int amount;
    void * elements;
};

DWORD * arr = new DWORD[nVec.size()+1];
    for(unsigned int i = 0; i < nVec.size();++i)
        arr[i] = nVec[i];
    ArrayReturn _return;
    _return.amount = nVec.size();
    _return.elements = arr;
    AU3_SetInt32(pMyResult,(int)&_return);

Ever wanted to call functions in another process? ProcessCall UDFConsole stuff: Console UDFC Preprocessor for AutoIt OMG

Any chance arrays as return are on the way? I have a plugin func which has to return a dynamically sized array. Since this isn't possible, only way to do it is some string formatting or struct passing. But both require an interface from autoit, and doing the string thing really leaks memory.

Best was something like this...

struct ArrayReturn
{
    unsigned int amount;
    void * elements;
};

DWORD * arr = new DWORD[nVec.size()+1];
    for(unsigned int i = 0; i < nVec.size();++i)
        arr[i] = nVec[i];
    ArrayReturn _return;
    _return.amount = nVec.size();
    _return.elements = arr;
    AU3_SetInt32(pMyResult,(int)&_return);

I doubt it, cause as valik said, it's an experimental function not in a finished state, not to mention there has been no development on this functionality for several years. Edited by hyperzap

• 2 months later...

EDIT: devrandom beat me to it. :graduated:

Hello, there is an error in the example plugin.

Line 155:

if ( AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 || AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 )

Should be:

if ( AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[0]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 || AU3_GetType(&p_AU3_Params[1]) != AU3_PLUGIN_INT32 )

Also, I'd vote to keep PluginOpen() just because it allows dynamic loading of different plugins based on runtime conditions.

Edited by Unsigned

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Great feature, as always. And will benefit all people, even those who will just be making the jump from not writing on C/C++.

AutoIt covers the basic needed features for any programming needs but in any case that you would ned to get a full blown language to work with you, C/C++ are always something to look forward to.

• 2 months later...