Running my own webserver... It times out when someone trys to connect...

I am using a WAMP server, running on an old computer. It works fine within my network, but when accessed from the outside, the browser said that the request timed out.

I keep reading somthing about port forwarding, but my router does not have that option. Just so that you know, I have disabled the firewall on both my router and my server to rule these problems out.

What else could I be doing wrong? I am connecting to my external IP, and it works fine within my wireless network. But as stated above, when I have a remote server automate testing for me, it just times out on browsers. PM me if you are interested in at least testing from your computer, and I will send you my IP.

Spoiler

"If a vegetarian eats vegetables,What the heck does a humanitarian eat?"

"I hear voices in my head, but I ignore them and continue on killing."

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

Thanks, sending you a message.

Spoiler

"You have forced me to raise the indifference warning to beige, it's a beige alert people. As with all beige alerts please prepare to think about the possibility of caring."

An optimist says that giving someone power DOESN'T immediately turn them into a sadist. A pessimist says that giving someone power doesn't IMMEDIATELY turn them into a sadist.

Ok, I have tried through a friend of mine, and she conferms that my site is not visable from the outside. Still waiting for FreeBeing.

It always says that the connection has timed out.

Edited by Draygoes
Spoiler

Check out this guide and choose your specific router. Also be careful as some ISPs can be a little funny when it comes to using your connection for non-home usage.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I don't think I've seen a router without port forwarding. What is it?

My router is an Arris. To be fair, this is the first I have seen without that option as well. :

Check out this guide and choose your specific router. Also be careful as some ISPs can be a little funny when it comes to using your connection for non-home usage.

That website doesnt show my router. I went to a website that did talk about my router, and that site simply told me to turn off the firewall. I checked with my ISP and they said that they do not mind as long as I am not using a LOT of bandwidth. So I couldnt host this forum for example, but a private site shouldnt be a problem.

Change your NAT settings?

Is your IP static or dynamic? Use DynDNS if it's dynamic :)

The IP is dynamic. When i tried changing it to static, it would no longer forward to my public ip even withen the network.

Oh and I cannot change my NAT settings.

Let me make this clear, when I say that I cannot do port forwarding, I mean that there doesnt appear to be any options that say they are port forwarding. But when I click on the firewall tab of my router, I get a tab for "VIrtual Servers" The description under that tab is:

Virtual Servers Configuration

This function will allow you to route external (Internet) calls for services such as a web server (port 80), FTP server (Port 21), or other applications through your Router to your internal network.

A bit more searching, and I also found "Port Triggers", which reads:

Port Triggers Configuration

Port triggers allow virtual servers to be allowed when a outbound port is accessed.

Now, that gave me a reason to turn my firewall back on, because that appeared the only way to route my internal ip to the routers external one. So between those 2 options, it feels a bit like port forwarding.

Edited by Draygoes
Spoiler

Ok, try now. I set the ip range to 80. If that doesnt work, I will turn off the firewall and see if that does.

EDIT:
Ok, so I did a port scan on 80 using this website, and found that it is indeed closed. I dont know what to do about that though...

EDIT2: I found this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308127

Trying now.

Edited by Draygoes
Spoiler

Ok, that didnt work.... :censored:

Any ideas?

Spoiler

Administration website is similar to that documentation (PDF) ?

If yes, I think "Firewall --> Virtual Servers" is the setting you want.

You WAN IP has changed or not (to test it) ?

If it don't work with TCP 80, can you try to change that port into your web server software and into "Virtual Servers" of the router ?

Maybe your ISP don't allow that...

Administration website is similar to that documentation (PDF) ?

If yes, I think "Firewall --> Virtual Servers" is the setting you want.

You WAN IP has changed or not (to test it) ?

If it don't work with TCP 80, can you try to change that port into your web server software and into "Virtual Servers" of the router ?

Maybe your ISP don't allow that...

Looking at the PDF, it appears to be talking about a different firmware version or somtihing...

My WAN IP has not changed. Even though its dynamic, it doesnt appear to change at all.

Did you look at DynDNS?

Yes I did. Its a payed service, so I tried a free alternative. Even though its not the same, it should work close enough.

The alternative didnt work.

Spoiler

I don't think I've seen a router without port forwarding. What is it?

Notch in fact was using one. He tweeted something about finally being able to access his code from outside the office, so I asked what repository didn't support remote access. His response was that his repository did, but his router did not.

all do, but our router didn't. Long story.

— Markus Persson (@notch)

Ok, I checked again with my ISP only to be told that they do not stop home users from recieving traffic, as long as its not a lot. That being said, in the same conversation they also said that there technitions had no idea where to even start when it comes to running a server, and that I would be on my own. Figures.

About the router, it used to support a lot of changes, like changing the NAT settings before they gave it a firmware update which no longer includes almost any of those settings. Its almost like my ISP desided that all of there users where idiots and didnt deserve to be able to play with the router. So my options are very limited now. I cannot even get uptime infomation anymore, not like I need it but still... UGH!

I would gladly go out and buy a new router, if we had the money for one. The simple fact is, we are kindof having trouble just keeping internet right now. As soon as these hard times pass, one of the first things I am doing is buying a new router.

Spoiler

And my firewall is disabled on the server.

EDIT: For now anyway.

Edited by Draygoes
Spoiler

EDIT: Entire post removed. Thanks for helping when I made a massive mestake Melba and Yogi. :oops:

Edited by Draygoes
IP removed - PM Draygoes if you want it
Spoiler