Syncing two events over network

My queestion, is what is the best way to synchronize autoit scripts running on different computers in a network? to the effect that I could sync them, and then beep() and they would both beep at the exact same time

I'm not sure even where to start. Has anyone done anything like this before?

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

you do know that commonly pc's are already sync'd by time source, right? so if your scripts operate independent of each other, then just use the system time.

if they are dependent - i.e. if there is some communication between them - then the communication itself should suffice. e.g. pc1 says to pc2: "beep at 17:00 exactly".

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

As always the devil is in the details: the "exact same time" is already pretty hard to define just from the physics point of view. Now over a network is yet another beast.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• Moderators

I'm also going to hazard a guess that you're not trying to just play a Beep (as this could be done much more easily through Task Scheduler on each machine), so how about more information about what you're trying to accomplish?

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

As always the devil is in the details: the "exact same time" is already pretty hard to define just from the physics point of view. Now over a network is yet another beast.

down to 10ms, although down to one would be optimal

I'm also going to hazard a guess that you're not trying to just play a Beep (as this could be done much more easily through Task Scheduler on each machine), so how about more information about what you're trying to accomplish?

Actually, that's exactly what I want to accomplish. Think beeping computer orchestra. I just need a way to sync them properly

0x616e2069646561206973206c696b652061206d616e20776974686f7574206120626f64792c20746f206669676874206f6e6520697320746f206e657665722077696e2e2e2e2e

You can use NTP or even better PTP. From what I gather, current Windows NTP implementation doesn't guarantees below 1 to 2 seconds.

I hope this is for a legitimate use.

Another method which doesn't depend / rely on / use computer network: if you really need/value excellent sync is to use GPS clocks like Spectracom, Trimble or similar devices.

Edited by jchd

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet! PTP sounds promising. Lol at GPS clocks, that would be nuts :P

I'll post back if I find anything

As a old member of time nuts I do have a couple of used Trimble GPS clocks (and some Rubidium clocks as well) for sale but I suppose it would be a bit overkill (and costly) for your use.