Please Help Me Automate This Installation

Go to solution Solved by antmar904,

Good Morning,

I am new at this (only the second one I have done) but I have read everything I can find and I am still stuck. My inexperience is probably most of it, but I also believe this particular piece of software is not very well made.

I am packaging a patch that registers/unregisters DLL's. It brings up 4-5 of the same, 1-button windows. Here is what the AutoIT Window Info says about it:

Window Tab

Title: RegSvr32

Class: #32770

Control Tab

Class: Button

Instance: 1

ClassnameNN: Button1

ID: <Blank>

Here is what I have tried:

WinWaitActive ("RegSvr32", "DllUnregisterServer in")
Send ("{ENTER}")

and

WinWaitActive ("[TITLE:RegSvr32; CLASS:32770; INSTANCE:1]","")
Send ("{ENTER}")

Both just hang at (I believe) the first appearance of this Window. As I said, I think this software is poorly made and the developer has admitted that it is not designed to be packaged and pushed but we have over 150 people who need this and I have been asked to do it. When installing manually, nothing advances this window except <ENTER> or click the "OK" button.

Could my problem have to do with the fact that these windows appear identical? My next attempt would be using the ControlClick command. I have looked it up in the Help file but I am not sure how it should look. Like this(?):

ControlClick ("RegSvr32", "DllUnregisterServer in", controlID [, button [, clicks [, x [, y]]]] )

Is my controlID #32770 (with the # or without?) or is it Button or Button1? And, can I just close parenthesis after controlID and leave the optional stuff out.

There is a special place in Paradise for those that help the newbies! Thanks in advance, guys.

• Moderators

Hi, tuffgong, welcome to the forum. What is the patch/application you're installing? Does it support silen installation? If so, you may be able to save yourself some headache.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Unfortunately, no. As I said, I believe this is poorly made software and the developer has admitted that a silent, remote installation was never really considered during development. Thanks for the welcome and the response!

The patch is for a fringe piece of financial software that breaks every time it gets a certain WIndows update. Somehow(?) we seem to be unable to keep this MS Update out of our environment.

Edited by tuffgong

Ha! Guys, good call. I think this was a case of me not being able to see the forest because there are too many trees in the way! I was focused on automating their utility instead of asking what their utility was trying to accomplish. I appreciate the fresh perspective. Now I just have to figure out what DLL's their "Utility" is registering or unregistering and I am in business.

Thanks again!