Is there a way to test if an Edit control already has a tooltip?

I'm currently working on a GUI that has 2 Edits for entering a start and an end address.

$txt_StartAddr = GUICtrlCreateInput('', 110, 346, 50, 20, $ES_RIGHT + $ES_NUMBER)
$txt_EndAddr   = GUICtrlCreateInput('', 110, 371, 50, 20, $ES_RIGHT + $ES_NUMBER)
When these 2 inputs are created it's only possible to enter numbers, otherwise a balloon tip is displayed with a hint that only numbers can be used.

Now I want to test if the end address is larger than the start address and if not, show a similar balloon tip but it fails, i.e. no balloon tip is shown. My guess is that this is because _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip() is called repeatedly (I run this check in the main loop).

If $iFocussedCtrl = $txt_StartAddr Then
        If GUICtrlRead($txt_StartAddr) > GUICtrlRead($txt_EndAddr) Then 
            _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip($txt_StartAddr, 'Error', 'Start address must be smaller than End address!', $TTI_ERROR)
        EndIf
    EndIf
    If $iFocussedCtrl = $txt_EndAddr Then
        If GUICtrlRead($txt_EndAddr) < GUICtrlRead($txt_StartAddr) Then
            _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip($txt_EndAddr, 'Error', 'End address must be larger than End address!', $TTI_ERROR)
        EndIf
    EndIf
Is there a way to check if an Edit control already has a tooltip? Or does anyone know how this could be solved in a different way? Edited by Tacomas

hi Tacomas

I do not know how the $iFocussedCtrl is generated, anyway I think more issues overlaps in  your check loop:

when you use the _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip()  it seems that it also sets the focus to its input control, triggering a "nested" loop that turns on continuously  the balloontip, resulting in a nearly invisible ballon effect.

try to use TrayTip ( "title", "text", 2) instead of _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip as a "first step alternative"....

bye

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....

Oups I knew I forgot something, sorry! :)

The value of $iFocussedCtrl is returned by this function:

$iFocussedCtrl = _GuiUtils_GetFocussedControl($hWnd)

Func _GuiUtils_GetFocussedControl($wndTitle)
    Local $sClassNameNN = ControlGetFocus($wndTitle)
    If @error Then Return SetError(1,0,-1)
    Local $hCtrl = ControlGetHandle($wndTitle, '', $sClassNameNN)
    If @error Then Return SetError(2,0,-1)
    Local $callRes = DllCall('user32.dll', 'int', 'GetDlgCtrlID', 'hwnd', $hCtrl)
    If @error Then Return SetError(3,0,-1)
    Return $callRes[0]
EndFunc ;==>_GuiUtils_GetFocussedControl
So basically it's the controlID of the control that currently has the focus in the given GUI.

I also thought about the TrayTip or a MsgBox but then I would have 2 different ways in which warnings/errors are presented to the user and from a usability point of view this is a bad thing so I try to avoid it. I share your opinion that when _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip() is called repeatedly then it constantly overwrites the previous balloon tip which results in having no visible balloon tip.

Since AutoIt is very flexible I just can't believe that it shouldn't be possible to do what I try to achieve. :)

Hi Tacomas,

well, then you might try this way:

1) initializes a timer at the beginning of your program by adding this line:

$Tipdelay = TimerInit()

2) Add this subroutine to the bottom of your program to insert a delay in the display of BalloonTips:

Func Tip($v1,$v2,$v3,$v4)
    if int(TimerDiff($Tipdelay)/1000) > 3 Then
        _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip($v1,$v2,$v3,$v4)
        $Tipdelay = TimerInit()
    endif
EndFunc

3) and call it instead of _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip () in this way:

; instead of this lines
    ; _GUICtrlEdit_ShowBalloonTip($txt_StartAddr, 'Error', 'Start address must be smaller than End address!', $TTI_ERROR)
    ; use the following alternative:
        Tip($txt_EndAddr, 'Error', 'End address must be larger than End address!', $TTI_ERROR)

the overall effect of displaying BalloonTip should be acceptable now.

bye

image.jpeg.9f1a974c98e9f77d824b358729b089b0.jpeg Chimp

small minds discuss people average minds discuss events great minds discuss ideas.... and use AutoIt....