Whats the best book? Resource?

Hi yall,

First time caller and what not.   

I need to learn this language.    I have dabbled in C a tiny bit and done some basic Visual Basic in MS Access.    (mostly copy and paste via others)    I have wandered around looking for resources today and it seems like a jungle.     I downloaded a book online and it was from 2007.    I need to know the best resources to learn Autoit for someone who doesn't have a background in coding.     Basic step by step that will quickly get me in the land of usefulness at my job.    I struggled all day with just opening and logging in to certain proprietary software at my company.    I also couldn't get the mouse control recorder to even work.    

Whats the best book?   Resource?   Website for beginners?    I don't even understand the questions on here at the moment.    Totally lost.    I don't want to waste any more money on programs that pop up "Hello World" on the screen.   

I need to open up and manipulate different programs in a Windows 7 environment.   Some of those are MS office products, others are unix windows and websites.   We have other scripts at my job that can do that.    I need to get up to speed.  

Any suggestions?

CD

WinSetState("your window here", "window text here (or blank string)", @SW_MAXIMIZE)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

What am I doing wrong?

; This is going to be an experiment to see how much I can do with Notepad

; Open Notepad

run("notepad.exe")

;WinSetState("your window here", "window text here (or blank string)", @SW_MAXIMIZE)

WinSetState("Untitled - Notepad","", @SW_MAXIMIZE)

Last question of the night.  

When the line 'WinSetState("Untitled - Notepad","", @SW_MAXIMIZE)' is executed the "Untitled - Notepad" window does not exist because Notepad does not start instantaneously. Notepad is still starting up when the WinSetState function is executed.

; This is going to be an experiment to see how much I can do with Notepad

; Open Notepad
Run("notepad.exe")

WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad")

;WinSetState("your window here", "window text here (or blank string)", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
WinSetState("Untitled - Notepad", "", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
Edit: Changed "Then the line ..." to "When the line ...". Edited by Malkey

Hey, you post between 1AM and 2AM forum time (which is probably Western Europe) and wonder why there is no answer ? At least I was sleeping.

Tip: put your code between tags like this: (leave out spaces)

[ autoit ]

your code here

[ / autoit ]

There are many many examples included in the default installation. These are all linked to, and actually directly runable from the help file.

Once you have been through that, there is a good wiki which links to tutorials etc.

Finally it's good to have a goal before you start your journey. What are you trying to do ? People here are helpful, but nobody can tean anybody a programming language if the goal is not defined. ("how can you guide a man to Rome if you don't know he wants to go there")

Edited by Myicq

I am just a hobby programmer, and nothing great to publish right now.

• Moderators

wretchedkat,

Welcome to the AutoIt forum. :)

OK, No responses

After just over an hour? What do you expect? :huh:

Remember this is not a 24/7 support forum - those who answer are only here because they like helping others and have some time to spare. You just have to wait until someone who knows something about your particular problem, and is willing to help, comes online. Be patient and someone will answer eventually, as indeed they did. ;)

By the way, the etiquette here is not to bump your own thread within 24 hrs. No harm done, but something to remember for the future. And you might also want to take a look at the Forum rules (there is also a link at bottom right of each page) before too long. :)

As to learning AutoIt: Reading the Help file (at least the first few sections - Using AutoIt, Tutorials and the first couple of References) will help you enormously. You should also look at this excellent tutorial - you will find other tutorials in the Wiki (the link is at the top of the page). And the forum is an invaluable resource once you have a handle on AutoIt syntax and structure. Just be more patient when you post. ;)

Good luck! :)

M23

Edited by Melba23
Typo

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area