Invisible Installations

• Moderators

Depends on what you are installing, and whether the install package supports silent switches. Otherwise, you would have to package the install into an MSI for yourself. If it is a Setup.exe, try running it from command line with the /? switch to see if there are available switches.

If you would care to give an example of what you're installing, we can assist.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

Depends on what you are installing, and whether the install package supports silent switches. Otherwise, you would have to package the install into an MSI for yourself. If it is a Setup.exe, try running it from command line with the /? switch to see if there are available switches.

If you would care to give an example of what you're installing, we can assist.

I don't believe silent switches are supported.  Appending /? to the .exe at the command line just runs the installer as usual.  I have a macro generated that runs through the whole installation, so I think simply making the windows completely transparent would suffice as a solution.

#RequireAdmin
#NoTrayIcon
Run("Your Program")

Riiiiiiiiight  ;)

I don't believe silent switches are supported.  Appending /? to the .exe at the command line just runs the installer as usual.  I have a macro generated that runs through the whole installation, so I think simply making the windows completely transparent would suffice as a solution.

Riiiiiiiiight   ;)

If the installer Automaticly install then use

#RequireAdmin

#NoTrayIcon

Run("Your Program","Working dir",@SW_HIDE)

• Moderators

@basel1998, you still aren't understanding what the OP is asking.

@OP Is this a public piece of software? Does it say InstallShield or some such when you run it? Many applications are really MSIs, but they are "wrapped" in a setup.exe. Often times, the setup.exe simply copies the MSI to the temp directory and then starts the installation.

"Profanity is the last vestige of the feeble mind. For the man who cannot express himself forcibly through intellect must do so through shock and awe" - Spencer W. Kimball

How to get your question answered on this forum!

@basel1998, you still aren't understanding what the OP is asking.

@OP Is this a public piece of software? Does it say InstallShield or some such when you run it? Many applications are really MSIs, but they are "wrapped" in a setup.exe. Often times, the setup.exe simply copies the MSI to the temp directory and then starts the installation.

Might he be onto something with the "@SW_HIDE" part?

The software is : http://download.cnet.com/Aginity-Workbench-for-Netezza/3000-2065_4-10967097.html

I just tried it with a /qn switch and it installed silently on XP SP3 32bit.

Interesting...did you use the /qn switch with the .exe?

I tried the /quiet switch on Win7 with no success...I also drilled down a couple levels and extracted a bunch of folders + the .msi from the .exe, and a couple switches failed, but I'll try some others.

I'll let you know how it goes...thanks for your help :)

and as a last resort, as long as your macro doesnt rely on active windows, mouseclicks, or the like; you could always screenshot the desktop then use splashimageon.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)