Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

So why am I writing about:

in this documentation is a difference, information on the need for FileConstants.au3 is not included in Section REMARKS but in the PARAMETERS.

I agree with you - it is inconsistant. I would be inclined to add information about the required includes for optional parameters within the parameters section itself, rather than within the additional remarks.

Edited by czardas

FireFox,

I fixed the GUICtrlUpdatea and reverted the WinList commit because AZJIO's code (which I based my TidyText script on) created that output and not the one he reported.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

I fixed the GUICtrlUpdatea

ahhh I see now :)

and reverted the WinList commit because AZJIO's code (which I based my TidyText script on) created that output and not the one he reported.

I couldn't run the check helpfile on the computer I was during the commit.

Thank you.

I couldn't run the check helpfile on the computer I was during the commit.

My script isn't that. I still have to fix a few things and then commit.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

My script isn't that. I still have to fix a few things and then commit.

Well, I don't know by heart the syntax of the function parameters (I mean the damn spaces). Edited by FireFox

Neither did I at one point when I started out.

UDF List:

I agree with you - it is inconsistant. I would be inclined to add information about the required includes for optional parameters within the parameters section itself, rather than within the additional remarks.

If anyone else agree with me, then I call this as TRACK TICKET

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

If you mean something like ...

#include <StringConstants.au3>
StringInStr(...

then no it's not a good idea. The include is named above the UDFs only, as this is the file where the function can be found. Constants are a different subject altogether.

UDF List:

If you mean something like ...

#include <StringConstants.au3>
StringInStr(...

then no it's not a good idea. The include is named above the UDFs only, as this is the file where the function can be found. Constants are a different subject altogether.

You misunderstand me.

I would like her to be selected one correct option on how the description of the relevant file, which contains the definition of constants:

the first option (for example, a StringInStr)

parameter description: "Constants are defined in Constants.au3"

and

in Remarks: "The use of the values ​​specified above you must # include <StringConstants.au3> in your script."

the second option (for example, a DirCopy)

parameter description: "Constants are defined in FileConstants.au3"

and

in Remarks: no additional information

there is also a third option but I have not noticed in the present documentation:

in the description of the parameters: no additional information

and

in Remarks: Contains additional information

And by the way, I noticed that the documentation StringInStr

and

in Remarks: "The use of the values ​​specified above you must # include <StringConstants.au3> in your script."

As you can see are indicated two different files - Is that correct?

EDIT: Track Ticket #2418

Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

I fixed the StringInStr issue with two different files.

OK, create a ticket for the other idea. Thanks.

UDF List:

Hmm StringInStr is tricky because the third parameter requires the includes for constants $STR_NOCASESENSE etc... but the remaining parameters do not. The StringInStr layout is the format I would use rather than the DirCopy format. Keeping stuff in the same place helps orientation.UDF functions are another story. I would add the includes to the syntax section in this case, which is where it appears already.

Edited by czardas

Another thing to discuss
despite the fact issue with two different files

and

Regardless of where you placed the information,
I would like to choose the form.

I think that this form:
"The use of the values ​​specified above you must # include <StringConstants.au3> in your script."
is superior to that:
"Constants are defined in Constants.au3"

but the best would be the
"The use of the variables specified above you must # include <StringConstants.au3>. You can still use the Magic Number ( values listed in [] ) instead of the variables defined in this file.
"

because:

IMHO: Values mean Magic Number

IMHO: Variables not mean Magic Number

EDIT: and besides, a novice programmer needs to know that he has a choice, and how to use it.

EDIT:

amendment

"The use of the constants specified above you must # include <StringConstants.au3>. You can still use the Magic Number ( values listed in [] ) instead of the constants defined in this file."

because: these are constants, not variables

Edited by mlipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

The use of magic numbers is generally discouraged, but I am of the opinion the values should always be included in the documentation, which thankfully they are. The phrase 'Constants are defined in Constants.au3' doesn't really tell me very much. I'm getting confused because the help file that Azijo uploaded gives more or less the same format for these functions. I must have been looking at a different file.

I noticed that in some documents, it is not a suitable substitute for the Magic Numbers.

Do you want to report this as TRACK TICKET?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I noticed that in some documents, it is not a suitable substitute for the Magic Numbers.

Do you want to report this as TRACK TICKET?

The helpfile is intended as a reference and not a course iin programming. There are plenty of topics where magic numbers are discussed on the forum. I actually like them, providing they are used in combination with BitOr, BitAnd etc... as opposed being to passed as a single integer when you need to combine them.

Edited by czardas

We evaluate true to 1 and false to 0 internally, so that should be fine.

What I was getting at is - Is this something that can be documented?  And if so, can it be used for more than just DLLCall?  For example, that math equation I mentioned.. it currently still evaluates to 1 and 0 for booleans in testing, but its documented that the results of its use are unpredictable.

The WinAPI is designed for C. C doesn't have a bool :)

C has had a boolean type since 1999, although it's spelled _Bool. Including <stdbool.h> allows one to use 'bool' instead though.  This is similar to how C11 uses underscores for types corresponding to C++11 types.  But if you've only used Microsoft compilers, you wouldn't know this - their compiler just barely supports the 1989 C standard.

What I was getting at is - Is this something that can be documented?  And if so, can it be used for more than just DLLCall?  For example, that math equation I mentioned.. it currently still evaluates to 1 and 0 for booleans in testing, but its documented that the results of its use are unpredictable.

Unless I miss something DllCall is documented as much as possible with MSDN doc.

BOOL is described as MS does as Integer. The only thing you can argue is BOOL and bool is the same as the type is case insensitive.

Unless I miss something DllCall is documented as much as possible with MSDN doc.

BOOL is described as MS does as Integer. The only thing you can argue is BOOL and bool is the same as the type is case insensitive.

jpm, you misunderstand my intention.  I'm discussing the True/False keywords in AutoIt, not so much the behavior of "bool" as a DLLCall type.  The case in fact is, as you said, that MS defines it as an integer.  Jon said True and False are evaluated internally as 1 and 0, so what I get from that is "bool" can be replaced with "int" in DLLCall with no ill effect.  However, I want to go a step further and find out if this behavior can be applied elsewhere. Or rather, it can currently be applied that way, but since its documented as undefined behavior, I'd like to see if that documentation can be changed (i.e. "True will evaluate to 1, False to 0").

I'm not quite sure what you are saying in regards to case sensitivity, as I've not mentioned that?  Windows BOOL is either TRUE (defined as 1 in the Windows SDK) or FALSE (0).  AutoIt currently follows this convention when translating True/False keywords.