Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

SQLite again

for download https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/pkgmgr/sqlite/

Help File page: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/libfunctions/_SQLite_Startup.htm

The page states " The SQLite files can be downloaded from " ... Is it made sufficiently clear that this is an additional download?  

I could not find a general "AutoIt and SQLite" intro page / paragraph in the documentation? Even just a brief Intro, along the lines that there are powerful AutoIt functions that support SQLite, that it should be downloaded separately... ? This intro could even be included in the description of the _SQLite_Startup.htm page.

Skysnake

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

There are a LOT of SQLite variables not mentioned in the help file, many are return codes, and some that are used for other things, you can't list every available variable used in a function in the help file. It would make the help file very difficult to maintain.

Look at any of the *Constants.au3 files and you'll see what I'm talking about as relates to undocumented variables.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I agree that isn't useful. Not only there is a large number of constants that are undocumented explicitely in the help but in this instance there are very few use for RO DB. Also users serious enough to play with such parameter is supposed to know how to read the UDF and see how things work, contrary to languages where libraries are opaque.

Since SQLite is serverless and given that any user (malvolent or not) who has access to the DB file can do whatever she wants with the content, there is not much that SQLite can do to protect against unwanted DB writes or even destruction by overwriting garbage. See my answer about how this can be somehow overcome, using the access rights extension and authorizers.

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)

• 2 weeks later...

suggestion: add the below to the help for Run():

Run() may fail in any of the following scenarios:
- on 64-bit OS: the executable you attempt to run is 64-bit, but your script is running as 32-bit.
- on Windows Vista+ with UAC enabled: the executable requies elevated admin rights, but your script is not elevated.
- the executable is disallowed by software restriction policy.
although running these scenarios manually (i.e. double-click the executable) produces a relevant notice to the end user (UAC prompt or system message box), when using Run() these indications are suppressed.

(note: i use the "may" phrase for politeness only. "may fail" should read "always fails".)

also, there is a mix and match in the Remarks sections of Run(), RunWait(), RunAs() and RunAsWait(). common remarks include the usage of @ComSpec and I/O streams - these are either inadequately omitted or needlessly redescribed in the help for said functions. i suggest that common remarks (including the suggested) are described only for Run(), and a notice is placed in the Remarks sections of RunWait(), RunAs(), and RunAsWait() instructing the user to review the Remarks section for Run().

Signature - my forum contributions:

Spoiler

UDF:

LFN - support for long file names (over 260 characters)

InputImpose - impose valid characters in an input control

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

AMF - accept multiple files from Windows Explorer context menu

DateDuration -  literal description of the difference between given dates

Apps:

Touch - set the "modified" timestamp of a file to current time

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

SPDiff - Single-Pane Text Diff

You could add something along the same lines to most functions, and they'd still be more than what you really need in the help file. Checking to see if Run failed should tell the user that it failed, why it failed isn't part of the functions purpose.

There are a hundred other reasons that Run may (will) fail that aren't in your list, such as misspelling the command to run, or not including the full path. You can't possibly hope to include every reason why Run fails in a help file.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

the help file is intended to provide help. if possible, it should help the user troubleshooting a failing function call for scenarios in which normal troubleshooting methods (like syntax check, file existence, manual launch etc.) do not reveal the cause of the failure.

indeed there may be many causes for Run() failing, but i'm talking about the ones that are not revealed by normal troubleshooting: the 32-bit/64-bit issue and the elevation issue. as for the SRP issue, i stand corrected - it should not be added, since it's easily revealed by trying to manually launch the executable.

i stumbled upon these issues in a recent project, involving kind of a launcher function. i started testing the launcher on random files, and had to spend some time discovering the causes which i suggest be added to the help file in order to spare other users from wasting their time.

Spoiler

UDF:

TimeConvert - convert UTC to/from local time and/or reformat the string representation

Apps:

Show For Files - tray menu to show/hide files extensions, hidden & system files, and selection checkboxes

The help file isn't meant as a tutorial, and shouldn't be inflated to be one. It tells you how to use the functions, what they do, what you get when they succeed and when they fail. Beyond that it's up to the programmer to figure out what might go wrong, and write your code accordingly. In the specific case of the Run function you're told when it fails, YOU should know how to figure out why it failed or take the time to learn why what you wrote didn't work as intended. You're not going to find it in the help file so learn about what you're doing before trying to do it.

Programming isn't about having your hand held all along the way, it's about learning what the command set available does and if you can't do that then don't be a programmer (even a sometimes one).

in regards to _WinAPI_SetProcessAffinityMask() , there is a remark saying: " For example, if you pass a mask of 0x05, processors 1 and 3 are allowed to run. " but CPU count starts at zero, not one. So I guess change it to "the 1st and 3th logical processors" or "processors 0 and 2" ??
This came to mind while reviewing https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/184096-authread-multi-thread-emulation-forking-for-autoit/?do=findComment&comment=1322347 and my example did not match the referance I was giving to TaskManager.

What you think ?, should it be changed ?

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

In Microsoft's world, the affinity mask starts at 1 and counts up, it's got nothing to do with CPU numbering but assigning a bit position to a CPU.

2 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

affinity mask starts at 1

yes, the mask starts at 1. A bitwise selection needs to start with at first position but the CPU itself is called 0.  So the presence of mask 1 selects CPU 0 and mask 3 selects CPU 2.

30 minutes ago, BrewManNH said:

it's got nothing to do with CPU numbering

Well, it does, but do as you see fit. I'm just pointing it out for the betterment of the help file. I hope you see my point kindly.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• 1 month later...

DriveGetFileSystem can detect ReFS (returns the string "ReFS"), but that is not mentioned in the help file, and there is no constant declared for it in AutoItConstants.au3 like the rest of the filesystem types. i think it should be added.

Spoiler

UDF:

Apps:

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Small typo

::/html/functions/IniRead.htm

under Remarks

wise if you want a hwnd to be a ptr, theN use Ptr() or HWnd().

........................................^

In addition, could the contents of post #5 from this thread perhaps be included as a general example and discussion on INI files? 

AND, with post #4 fromthis thread 

Should there perhaps be a note in the HelpFile that INI's should be considered redundant and users encouraged to rather use XML?

Edited by Skysnake

Skysnake

• 4 months later...

Today I ask about _FTP_Connect() here:

Now I'm thinking about adding:

If $iPassive is set to 1 then $iFlags always use $INTERNET_FLAG_PASSIVE combined with user's setting for $iFlag.

To Remarks in documentation for _FTP_Connect.

Please comment - even on the correct use of English.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

6 hours ago, mLipok said:

If $iPassive is set to 1 then $iFlags always use $INTERNET_FLAG_PASSIVE combined with user's setting for $iFlag.

If $iPassive is set to 1, then the special flag $INTERNET_FLAG_PASSIVE is automatically combined with the user's $iFlag parameter.

Maybe something like that?

For me sounds ok. 

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• 3 months later...

Inputbox

::/html/functions/InputBox.htm

If your script is going to use an inputbox you must include the pragma directive "#pragma compile(inputboxres, true)"

Is this still necessary? Important?

Can we please have extended functionality for input boxes such as eg the "modal" switch for msg boxes ? Forcing top most etc?

Skysnake