Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

In the following topic:

is discusion about using:

_WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState()

I want to focus on HelpFile Remarks for this function:

On 11.10.2018 at 4:11 PM, Danyfirex said:

Remarks say: This function does not stop the screen saver from executing.

Microsoft Docs  say:

The SetThreadExecutionState function cannot be used to prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep. Applications should respect that the user expects a certain behavior when they close the lid on their laptop or press the power button.

On my understanging this shoud be stated like this:

The SetThreadExecutionState function should not be used by developer to intentionally prevent the windows end user from putting the computer to sleep. Applications should respect that the user expects a certain behavior when they close the lid on their laptop or press the power button.

I think the same about change in AutoIt HelpFile :
This function should not does be used by AutoIt user, to prevent windows end user from putting the computer to sleep.
instead:
The _WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState() function cannot be used to prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep.

And: "This function does not stop the screen saver from executing." should be removed from HelpFile as this is not true on my Win10Pro ( btw. could somebody test and confirm the same behavior on another windows version ? )

What is your's opinion ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

On 10/12/2018 at 8:42 PM, mLipok said:

The _WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState() function cannot be used to prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep

Using _WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState() does not prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep.

Edited by czardas

Look in Microsoft Docs  for ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED remarks .

I thought that this function very well preventing, but should not be used to prevent - is't she ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Sorry mLipok, I have no time to check what these things do. I was simply trying to interpret, and correct, your English.

Using [funcName] does not prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep.
[funcName] should not be used to put the computer to sleep.

These have two very different meanings. Short and easy to understand sentences are best IMHO.

Edited by czardas

ok.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, czardas said:

I would add a link to this page in the help file.

like this one:

According to <a href="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winbase/nf-winbase-setthreadexecutionstate">Microsoft Docs</a> $ES_USER_PRESENT should not be used, and $ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED should be used only when absolutely necessary.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Something like your example above is possible - or you could simply list the constants and add a single link for the description: See Microsoft Documentation about <a href="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winbase/nf-winbase-setthreadexecutionstate"> SetThreadExecutionState</a>.

@mLipok I think ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED prevent a true sleep. So It means it prevents it. I think.

The ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED value should be used only when absolutely necessary by media applications that require the system to perform background tasks such as recording television content or streaming media to other devices while the system appears to be sleeping. Applications that do not require critical background processing or that run on portable computers should not enable away mode because it prevents the system from conserving power by entering true sleep.

About help file I think is enough to remove "This function does not stop the screen saver from executing." and let the developer deal with the msdn link.

Saludos

currently in helpfile (not published yet) this look like this:

###Remarks###
The <a href="_WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState.htm">_WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState()</a> function cannot be used to prevent the user from putting the computer to sleep.
Applications should respect that the user expects a certain behavior when they close the lid on their laptop or press the power button.

This function does not stop the screen saver from executing.
According to <a href="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/api/winbase/nf-winbase-setthreadexecutionstate">Microsoft Docs</a> $ES_USER_PRESENT should not be used, and $ES_AWAYMODE_REQUIRED should be used only when absolutely necessary.

This BOLD text is from the begining (documentation for this function was added in 2013).

Maybe just remove them all, and put this short description:

[MS DOC] says to use this function with special attention. Read the remarks from [MS DOC] carefully.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Danyfirex said:

About help file I think is enough to remove "This function does not stop the screen saver from executing." and let the developer deal with the msdn link.

current helpFile which you can read , have this description:

Remarks

The _WinAPI_SetThreadExecutionState() function cannot be used to prevent the user from putting the computer to
sleep. Applications should respect that the user expects a certain behavior when they close the lid on their
laptop or press the power button.

This function does not stop the screen saver from executing.

As I understand @czardas meant that the literal quote from "MS DOC" is not good idea.
So the conclusion to me is that we should remove them all and only say somethink like this:

[MS DOC] says to use this function with special attention. Read the remarks from [MS DOC] carefully.

unless I've got lost in it a bit.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

I mean that it's difficult to rewrite all the detail without making it harder to understand or overly verbose. Anyone using such advanced functions should be able to interpret the description on MSDN. I do believe the constant names ought to be listed, but rewording MSDN descriptions seems like a huge effort.

• 4 weeks later...

The -WinAPI-MoveWindow documentation doesn't mention that it can also be used to resize a control / multiple controls inside of a window as well as resizing a window. Like this

This was incredibly helpful, but also incredibly hard to find. I want a status bar at the bottom of my GUI that is toggle-able, but that would leave a white space without this function.

Edit: Underlined underscores  = space :D

Edited by seadoggie01

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

• 4 weeks later...

Example for TimerInit:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>

Local $hTimer = TimerInit() ; Begin the timer and store the handle in a variable.
Sleep(3000) ; Sleep for 3 seconds.
Local $fDiff = TimerDiff($hTimer) ; Find the difference in time from the previous call of TimerInit. The variable we stored the TimerInit handlem is passed as the "handle" to TimerDiff.
MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "Time Difference", $fDiff)

Is there typo in:

The variable we stored the TimerInit handlem is passed as the "handle" to TimerDiff.

?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone (native english speeker) who would explain this form of this word to me ?

Is this just a typo ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Typo, unnecessary m at the end.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator