Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

2 hours ago, seadoggie01 said:

There isn't output listed anywhere, you have to run the programs :) (I get it though, I looked for it too)

Do you know if that’s by design or?

As in, if we make it so people download the examples to get an answer, then maybe they’ll just keep going and write the program.

On the other hand, there are some people myself included, who just read them sequentially, hoping to create that vague sense of “I think there is a function that does x...”, which can be helpful.  I worked with a guy who studied all the error codes for Oracle without having a problem in front of him - now that’s going too far.

I’m assuming it’s on purpose though, because I know people can modify the help, and I’m sure people would volunteer, and yet there still is not even one output AFAIK.

Edited by JockoDundee

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

• 1 month later...

.. it'll nice to replace the _GUICtrlMenu_CreateMenu() example with the one in this help request, as it is more illuminating ( in my view  :) )

Edit: I opened a ticket to that regard

Edited by argumentum
opened a ticket

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...

As you know I'm not English native speaker.

But I want to ask about this documentation:

StringStripWS

Strips the white spaces in a string.

StringStripWS ( "string", flag )

Parameters

string The string to strip.
flag Flag to indicate the type of stripping that should be performed (add the flags together for multiple operations):
    $STR_STRIPLEADING (1) = strip leading white spaces
    $STR_STRIPTRAILING (2) = strip trailing white spaces
    $STR_STRIPSPACES (4) = strip double (or more) white spaces between words
    $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all white spaces (over-rides all other flags)

Constants are defined in StringConstants.au3.

Return Value

Returns the new string stripped of the requested white spaces.

Remarks

White spaces includes Chr(9) thru Chr(13) which are HorizontalTab, LineFeed, VerticalTab, FormFeed, and CarriageReturn. White spaces also includes the null string ( Chr(0) ) and the standard space ( Chr(32) ).

To strip single spaces between words, use the function StringReplace().

in few places I added "s" and "white"     
and also   changed      "Whitespace"   >>>   "White spaces"

Please correct me if my understanding of English in this specific case is correct.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Developers

I think it is "Whitespace" or space , not "white space". :) 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_space

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

.... blank space ? I use High Contrast and is dark. The white space between words is black for me.
Maybe we can be a first in correcting the expression.
In any case the concept is spacing between words in reference to writing. Even blank is french for white. Is all concepts.
I guess that if the living language was expressed as such while writing the help file, is quite likely to be the most expressive for those of that tongue.
But a good question nonetheless. :) 

3 hours ago, mLipok said:

Please correct me if my understanding of English in this specific case is correct.

Since I am not a native speaker of English myself, my interpretation may be incorrect ;).

2 hours ago, argumentum said:

But a good question nonetheless. :) 

It is an interesting question, albeit not a top priority one for most users :lol:.

3 hours ago, Jos said:

I think it is "Whitespace" or space , not "white space". :) 

I see it the same way.

Probably we should differ (in mind) between "Whitespace" and "Whitespace character".

Whitespace character = a character, that is part of a specified set - for AutoIt, see Remarks
Whitespace = The occurrence of one or a series of characters from this set (1..n).

@mLipok : That is perhaps the reason for your uncertainty regarding the use of the plural.

Your variation : $STR_STRIPLEADING (1) = strip leading white spaces

AutoIt-Help   $STR_STRIPLEADING (1) = strip leading white space

BTW : I guess, the notation "Whitespace" would be the preferable one.

@Jos :

AutoIt-Help $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all spaces (over-rides all other flags)

Wouldn't the following description be more accurate here ? : $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all white spaces (over-rides all other flags)

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• Developers
15 minutes ago, Musashi said:

Wouldn't the following description be more accurate here ? : $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all white spaces (over-rides all other flags)

No, it would have to be one of these to my humble opinion as it includes other than space characters, but I am not a native English speaker either: 

• strip all Whitespace (over-rides all other flags)
  • strip all Whitespace characters (over-rides all other flags)

Jos :) 

Edited by Jos

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

26 minutes ago, Jos said:

No, it would have to be one of these to my humble opinion as it includes other than space characters, but I am not a native English speaker either: 

• strip all Whitespace (over-rides all other flags)
  • strip all Whitespace characters (over-rides all other flags)

Jos :) 

That's exactly what I meant, so I guess, I phrased it in a misleading way. My objection was, that $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all spaces (over-rides all other flags) ist not accurate, because, as you already noted, not only spaces (CHR(32)) are removed, but ALL whitespace characters.

I also prefer the terms all Whitespace or all Whitespace characters  rather than all white spaces .

Anyway, I just wanted to clarify that, but not overdo this topic :).

Musashi-C64.png

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• Developers

because $STR_STRIPALL  also strips the leading & trailing WhiteSpace ...not just between words.  ;) 

Edited by Jos

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.

1 hour ago, JockoDundee said:

sure, but if you just have a string with just single spaces, which is common enough, it works fine.

Not always.
You must to remember that StringStripWS() strips all whitespace charatcters, not only standard/normal Space character, just like in this following example:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <StringConstants.au3>

_Example()

Func _Example()
    _Test(@ScriptLineNumber, _
            "XXX" & @CRLF & _
            "   A  12345" _
            )

EndFunc   ;==>_Example

Func _Test($iLine, $sString)
    ConsoleWrite(Binary($sString) & @CRLF)
    $sString = StringStripWS($sString, $STR_STRIPALL)
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Line #' & $iLine, "<" & $sString & ">")
    ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_Test

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

3 hours ago, Musashi said:

AutoIt-Help $STR_STRIPALL (8) = strip all spaces (over-rides all other flags)

This was one of my next question from the list ..... ;)

but also here:

$STR_STRIPSPACES (4) = strip double (or more) spaces between words

btw.
When $STR_STRIPSPACES is used, this function do not strip only "between words"

$STR_STRIPSPACES (4) = strip double (or more) white space characters

Example:

#include <MsgBoxConstants.au3>
#include <StringConstants.au3>

_Example()

Func _Example()
    _Test(@ScriptLineNumber, _
            "XXX" & @CRLF & _
            "   A  12345    " & @CR _
            )

EndFunc   ;==>_Example

Func _Test($iLine, $sString)
    $sString = StringStripWS($sString, $STR_STRIPSPACES)
    MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, 'Line #' & $iLine, "<" & $sString & ">")
    ConsoleWrite(@CRLF)
EndFunc   ;==>_Test

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

there is no example for _WinAPI_GetParentProcess() or for _WinAPI_GetProcessName(). So maybe this would be a good one:

#include <Debug.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>
_DebugArrayDisplay(_GetParentProcessTree(), "_GetParentProcessTree", "", 0, Default, "PID|Name|CommandLine")
Func _GetParentProcessTree($iPID = @AutoItPID)
    Local $n, $iParentPID = $iPID, $aList[100][3]
    $aList[0][0] = $iPID
    $aList[0][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID)
    $aList[0][2] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($iPID)
    For $n = 1 To 99
        $iParentPID = _WinAPI_GetParentProcess($iParentPID)
        If $iParentPID = 0 Then ExitLoop
        $aList[$n][0] = $iParentPID
        $aList[$n][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iParentPID)
        $aList[$n][2] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($iParentPID)
    Next
    ReDim $aList[$n][3]
    Return $aList
EndFunc   ;==>_GetParentProcessTree

Edited by argumentum
nicer looking

3 hours ago, argumentum said:

there is no example for _WinAPI_GetParentProcess() or for _WinAPI_GetProcessName(). So maybe this would be a good one:

#include <Debug.au3>
#include <WinAPIProc.au3>
_DebugArrayDisplay(_GetParentProcessTree(), "_GetParentProcessTree", "", 0, Default, "PID|Name|CommandLine")
Func _GetParentProcessTree($iPID = @AutoItPID)
    Local $n, $iParentPID = $iPID, $aList[100][3]
    $aList[0][0] = $iPID
    $aList[0][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iPID)
    $aList[0][2] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($iPID)
    For $n = 1 To 99
        $iParentPID = _WinAPI_GetParentProcess($iParentPID)
        If $iParentPID = 0 Then ExitLoop
        $aList[$n][0] = $iParentPID
        $aList[$n][1] = _WinAPI_GetProcessName($iParentPID)
        $aList[$n][2] = _WinAPI_GetProcessCommandLine($iParentPID)
    Next
    ReDim $aList[$n][3]
    Return $aList
EndFunc   ;==>_GetParentProcessTree

Thanks

I include it in the doc

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody :)
Sorry for this basic question but AutoIt help file stipulates (topic GUIRegisterMsg) :

Warning: blocking of running user functions which executes window messages with commands such as "MsgBox()" can lead to unexpected behavior, the return to the system should be as fast as possible !!!

But in the example of this same topic, there's a huge MsgBox() in the middle of Func WM_COMMAND() and the GUI will stay responsive no matter how many times we'll click later on the buttons in the GUI.

Could anyone please explain why this MsgBox() doesn't create issues in the example ?
Thanks

23 minutes ago, pixelsearch said:

Could anyone please explain why this MsgBox() doesn't create issues in the example ?

; React on a button click
Func WM_COMMAND($hWnd, $iMsg, $wParam, $lParam)
    ConsoleWrite('+ Func WM_COMMAND(' & $hWnd & ', ' & $iMsg & ', ' & $wParam & ', ' & $lParam & ')' & @CRLF) ; <<<< add this
    Local $nNotifyCode = _WinAPI_HiWord($wParam)
    Local $iId = _WinAPI_LoWord($wParam)
    Local $hCtrl = $lParam

If $iId <> 2 And $nNotifyCode = 0 Then ; Check for IDCANCEL - 2
        ; Ownerdrawn buttons do not send a message when pressing ENTER
        ; So if IDOK - 1 comes up, now check for the control that has the current focus
        If $iId = 1 Then
            Local $hFocus = _WinAPI_GetFocus()
            Local $idControl = _WinAPI_GetDlgCtrlId($hFocus)
            PostButtonClick($hWnd, $idControl)
        Else
;~          MsgBox($MB_SYSTEMMODAL, "WM_COMMAND", "GUIHWnd" & @TAB & ":" & $hWnd & @CRLF & _ ; <<<< comment this out

...hope that shows why is not blocking or important for the example :) 

Thanks argumentum, it's clearer now :)

* If the registered function doesn't execute windows messages "non-stop", then we're allowed to place a MsgBox in it. It's what you showed with your ConsoleWrite() which is executed only once (or twice) each time in this Func WM_COMMAND, using mostly these notifications codes in the Hi-word part of wparam :

BN_CLICKED    0
BN_SETFOCUS   6
BN_KILLFOCUS  7

* But if the function executes windows messages constantly (for example WM_NOTIFY when we're inside a ListView), then it's another story and MsgBox() should be totally avoided in this case.

• Moderators

pixelsearch,

I think that is a very good summation of the situation - but I still believe that the Help file should remain as it currently reads because inexperienced users will almost certainly not understand what is happening in each specific case and wonder why their script locks up.

M23and 

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 2 weeks later...