Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

Where in helpfile is said that standard AutoIt functions clears @error ?
I mean functions like Sleep() or MsgBox() ?

I checked the Function Notes and I do not see exact statement which I'm looking for.

Any body could point me to the proper statement ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

• Moderators

mLipok,

Look under "SetError":

When entering a function @error is set to 0. Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 when the function ends. This means that in order for @error to be set after a function, it must be explicitly set. This also means you may need to backup the status of @error in a variable if you are testing it in a While-WEnd loop.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

54 minutes ago, Melba23 said:

When entering a function @error is set to 0. Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 when the function ends. This means that in order for @error to be set after a function, it must be explicitly set. This also means you may need to backup the status of @error in a variable if you are testing it in a While-WEnd loop.

After reading this text (many times today) , I still have the impression that this part of documentation was created only for "Standard UDF" or for "User Functions"

But not for "functions available in AutoIt".

It is not so clear for non English native speakers, especially for people who start learning programming, especially starting with AutoIt.

How this refer to :    Sleep() or MsgBox()  , or for FileWrite().... those function do not use SetError()

IMHO: I think two separate cases should be clearly described for "functions available in AutoIt" (internal) and "any user's function" (those defined in any au3 files).

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

• Moderators

mLipok,

From "Function Notes" (which specifically refer to "native" AutoIt funtions):

...the flag should be checked immediately after the function returns as @error will be reset to 0 when entering the next function

How much clearer do you want the Help file to be?

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Spoiler

ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes

Reading this:

Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 when the function ends

I still had in my mind something like this:

The @error will remain 0 when the function ends, unless internal/native functions set it. In case of user functions the @error will remain 0 unless SetError() will be used at it's ends.

or something like this... maybe wrong worded due to my poor English skills.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, Melba23 said:

the flag should be checked immediately after the function returns as @error will be reset to 0 when entering the next function

When it states "after the function returns" I still have in my mind that "Return" function was used, what is not related to Native/Internal.

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

For me it is quite clear that the "Function Notes" section refers solely to "native" AutoIt functions, not UDFs. You reach it via the link here:

Below is a complete list of the functions available in AutoIt. Click on a function name for a detailed description.

See Function Notes for details on usage.

Where does it mention UDFs there?

And ALL functions "return" when completed - it is not limited to the "Return" function within a UDF.

M23

Spoiler

Yes I know.
But "Function Notes" is a basic resource of knowing how functions work, we shouldn't go back or look elsewhere for references, for such basic thing like how @error behaves.
This document itself should make this clear.
Or at least that is my opinion in this regard.

As to:

28 minutes ago, Melba23 said:

And ALL functions "return" when completed - it is not limited to the "Return" function within a UDF.

I know that Internal/Native function also returns. but this statements

When entering a function @error is set to 0. Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 when the function ends. This means that in order for @error to be set after a function, it must be explicitly set. This also means you may need to backup the status of @error in a variable if you are testing it in a While-WEnd loop.

For me as a non Native English speakers, this mean that the SetError() must be called to return @error <> 0 , and thus I state that it not cleary said about case when Native/Internal function is called.

For me as an advanced AutoIt programer this is known fact how it works, and I exactly know what you mean.

But as I said I was reading this part today, and I said to my self:

Where there is said that Native/Internal function could set this value internally without SetError() ?

Hence, my discussion on this thread, because I wanted someone less experienced, and at the same time a person who is not a native English speaker, to comment on this matter.

Because for me as an experienced programmer, but still poor English speaker, such a record in the documentation seemed strange and at least not complete, all the more for people with less experience it will be strange or confusing.

As this thread is called "Help File / Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)" I wanted to ask and discuss if anyone else thinks similarly.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

So @Melba23 I want to ask you (as a natvie English speaker and one of the most experienced AutoIt programer) is this following statement:

50 minutes ago, mLipok said:

The @error will remain 0 when the function ends, unless internal/native functions set it. In case of user functions the @error will remain 0 unless SetError() will be used at it's ends.

Correct and is more complex than this:

Unless SetError() is called, then @error will remain 0 when the function ends

?

or even ...  Could you reword my quoted statement to fit your's level of knowledge and experience ?

ps.
@Melba23 I hope I'm not raising your blood pressure ;)

I just wanted to peacefully discuss some things that struck me as strange.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

My suggestion would be that you:

1. Amend the opening phrase of the "Remarks" sections of the SetError and SetExtended pages to read:

When entering a user-written function @error/@extended is set to 0

2. Amend the "Function Notes" page "Success/failure indication" heading to read:

Success/failure indication of internal AutoIt functions

3. Add a final paragraph to the "Function Notes" page:

Success/failure indication of user-written functions

The return value, @error, and @extended macros are normally set by the author using the Return/SetError/SetExtended functions within the code. See the documentation for the specific user-written library to determine the specific values that are used.

How does that sound?

M23

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Melba23 said:

How does that sound?

I will follow your suggestions.
I hope that you will follow my changes on the internal AutoIt SVN and correct my possible mistakes, not only linguistic ones ;)

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

In "Macro Reference - AutoIt Related"

Currently there is:

@error Status of the error flag. See the function SetError().

@extended Extended function return - used in certain functions such as StringReplace().

I would like to propose to change them in this way:

@error Status of the error flag. Can be set by internal AutoIt functions, and by user-written functions. See the function SetError().
@extended Extended function return - used in certain functions. Can be set by internal AutoIt functions, and by user-written functions. See the function SetExtended().

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Moderators

mLipok,

No, I do not agree with those suggestions - the current text is quite sufficient in my opinion. The Help file does not have to explain absolutely everything in great detail - it is big enough as it is.

M23

Spoiler

In FunctionNotes in this part:

2 hours ago, Melba23 said:

Success/failure indication of internal AutoIt functions

there is mentioned that:

@error will be reset to 0 when entering the next function

what about mention that for internal AutoIt functions also @extended is reset to 0 ?
The information is only in SetExtended() which is for user-written functions.

Would you give any suggestions ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Melba23 said:

No, I do not agree with those suggestions - the current text is quite sufficient in my opinion. The Help file does not have to explain absolutely everything in great detail - it is big enough as it is.

Ok.
What about such smaller change:

@extended Extended function return - used in certain functions. See the function SetExtended().

Instead current:

@extended Extended function return - used in certain functions such as StringReplace().

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Func oops()
    Return SetError(23, 34, 45)
EndFunc
oops()
Sleep(1)
ConsoleWrite('+++ oops() returned @error = ' & @error & @TAB & '@extended = ' & @extended & @TAB)
ConsoleWrite("@AutoItVersion = " & @AutoItVersion & @CRLF)
Exit

;~ +++ oops() returned @error = 0   @extended = 0   @AutoItVersion = 3.2.0.1
;~ +++ oops() returned @error = 0   @extended = 0   @AutoItVersion = 3.3.14.5

Functions in AutoIt are first class objects. Among other things, that means you can assign a function to a variable, pass it around as an argument or return from another function.
Aside from certain specific scope-regarding declaration rules (being that the names of the built-in functions are reserved and of UDFs' can be overwritten only locally), the names of functions do not have special status in the language.

Therefore, as stated in the "Function notes", UDF or not, all Functions(), build-in or not, will return @error and @extended. Even sleep(), unless clearly specify, as _WinAPI_GetLastError() does.
The modification M23 suggest are in my mind clear. Tho I would mention the existence of SetError() and SetExtended() for functions in the "Function notes"

Other than that, I feel is ok.

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

5 hours ago, mLipok said:

Currently there is:

@error Status of the error flag. See the function SetError().

...and reading SetError() it'll show, Related SetExtended().
So no need to change that.

I always tell new users to do the katas. A kata in AutoIt is go to the help file and run the examples. Copy the example elsewhere and do modifications. Doing so will give you great knowledge :D

Can't read up on a theme and become proficient. Users have to get dirty and read other ppl code and take the time to try and think.
As a wise person stated:  "thinking does not hurt, ... but it takes time" :) 

• 2 weeks later...

..so I find a resurrected thread and ...yes, he is right. The example tutorial "Simple Notepad Automation" needs to change all the Win*() functions from searching TITLE to search CLASS.

Or add "WinTitleMatchMode" to make it work:

Run("notepad.exe")
WinWaitActive("Untitled - Notepad") ; for the english version, the title is historically as expected.
Send("This is some text.")
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode", 2) ; to find the now changed title
WinClose("Untitled - Notepad")
If Not WinWaitActive("Notepad", "Save", 5) Then Exit 4 ; window not found ?
;WinWaitActive("Notepad", "Do you want to save") ; When running under Windows XP
Sleep(1000) ; to give a chance to see something !
Send("!n")

Edited by argumentum

• 1 month later...

Just a small typo.

In the Remarks section of the #OnAutoItStartRegister topic in the help file (chm and web), you will see the word "Dlobal".

image.png.ff464953b454a99c09229d77f1872e36.png

1 hour ago, TheXman said:

you will see the word "Dlobal"...

Instead of painstakingly correcting this typo, I propose we take the time we would have used to fix the error, and invest it into the development of a Dlobal variable declaration with a novel scope/visibility, e.g. module/file level.

It would certainly come in handy ;)

Code hard, but don’t hard code...