Help File/Documentation Issues. (Discussion Only)

guinness

13 hours ago, TheXman said:

Just a small typo.

In the Remarks section of the #OnAutoItStartRegister topic in the help file (chm and web), you will see the word "Dlobal".

Thanks for reporting.

btw.
This has already been fixed on March 23, 2018

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Homo sum; humani nil a me alienum puto" - Publius Terentius Afer
"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"
:naughty:  :ranting:, be  :) and       \\//_.

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

Signature last update: 2023-04-24

1 hour ago, mLipok said:

This has already been fixed on March 23, 2018

Thanks @mLipok

I searched the forum for "dlobal" to see if it had already been reported and found no results.  Since I rarely use betas, I didn't think to look at the latest beta's help file.  :doh:  I do see that the beta help file has the correction.  If I come across any more help file issues, I'll make sure to check the beta first.  :thumbsup:

35 minutes ago, Anisha said:

Please check it:

Help page entitled “_GDIPlus_BitmapCreateFromMemory” returns as expected.

Should I run the function thru a comprehensive stress test in my function simulator and compare the output to the help page, or do you want to indicate what the specific problem is?

Code hard, but don’t hard code...

Your statement is not clear.

Please be more specific and say exactly what you mean ... with example.

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:
Please remember: "AutoIt"..... *  Wondering who uses AutoIt and what it can be used for ? * Forum Rules *
ADO.au3 UDF * POP3.au3 UDF * XML.au3 UDF * IE on Windows 11 * How to ask ChatGPT for AutoIt Codefor other useful stuff click the following button:

Spoiler

Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind. 

My contribution (my own projects): * Debenu Quick PDF Library - UDF * Debenu PDF Viewer SDK - UDF * Acrobat Reader - ActiveX Viewer * UDF for PDFCreator v1.x.x * XZip - UDF * AppCompatFlags UDF * CrowdinAPI UDF * _WinMergeCompare2Files() * _JavaExceptionAdd() * _IsBeta() * Writing DPI Awareness App - workaround * _AutoIt_RequiredVersion() * Chilkatsoft.au3 UDF * TeamViewer.au3 UDF * JavaManagement UDF * VIES over SOAP * WinSCP UDF * GHAPI UDF - modest begining - comunication with GitHub REST APIErrorLog.au3 UDF - A logging Library * Include Dependency Tree (Tool for analyzing script relations) * Show_Macro_Values.au3 *

My contribution to others projects or UDF based on  others projects: * _sql.au3 UDF  * POP3.au3 UDF *  RTF Printer - UDF * XML.au3 UDF * ADO.au3 UDF SMTP Mailer UDF * Dual Monitor resolution detection * * 2GUI on Dual Monitor System * _SciLexer.au3 UDF * SciTE - Lexer for console pane

Useful links: * Forum Rules * Forum etiquette *  Forum Information and FAQs * How to post code on the forum * AutoIt Online Documentation * AutoIt Online Beta Documentation * SciTE4AutoIt3 getting started * Convert text blocks to AutoIt code * Games made in Autoit * Programming related sites * Polish AutoIt Tutorial * DllCall Code Generator * 

Wiki: Expand your knowledge - AutoIt Wiki * Collection of User Defined Functions * How to use HelpFile * Good coding practices in AutoIt * 

OpenOffice/LibreOffice/XLS Related: WriterDemo.au3 * XLS/MDB from scratch with ADOX

IE Related:  * How to use IE.au3  UDF with  AutoIt v3.3.14.x * Why isn't Autoit able to click a Javascript Dialog? * Clicking javascript button with no ID * IE document >> save as MHT file * IETab Switcher (by LarsJ ) * HTML Entities * _IEquerySelectorAll() (by uncommon) * IE in TaskSchedulerIE Embedded Control Versioning (use IE9+ and HTML5 in a GUI) * PDF Related:How to get reference to PDF object embeded in IE * IE on Windows 11

I encourage you to read: * Global Vars * Best Coding Practices * Please explain code used in Help file for several File functions * OOP-like approach in AutoIt * UDF-Spec Questions *  EXAMPLE: How To Catch ConsoleWrite() output to a file or to CMD *

I also encourage you to check awesome @trancexx code:  * Create COM objects from modules without any demand on user to register anything. * Another COM object registering stuffOnHungApp handlerAvoid "AutoIt Error" message box in unknown errors  * HTML editor

winhttp.au3 related : * https://www.autoitscript.com/forum/topic/206771-winhttpau3-download-problem-youre-speaking-plain-http-to-an-ssl-enabled-server-port/

"Program are meant to be read by humans and only incidentally for computers and execute" - Donald Knuth, "The Art of Computer Programming"

Anticipating Errors :  "Any program that accepts data from a user must include code to validate that data before sending it to the data store. You cannot rely on the data store, ...., or even your programming language to notify you of problems. You must check every byte entered by your users, making sure that data is the correct type for its field and that required fields are not empty."

20 hours ago, oliviakaylie said:

None of the Array functions work on anything more than a 2D array, no point in using multiD array as a description, it would cause much more confusion than clarity.

I'm still not sure what exactly you mean.

I can only say that in:
https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/files/beta/autoit/docs/keywords/Dim.htm

"Example 1" was recently changed to:

; Declaring variables
Local $i, $j = 23, $k
Global $g_fPI = 3.14159, $g_iRADIUS
Local $iDaysWorking = 5

; Declaring arrays
Global $g_aChessBoard[8][8]
Global $g_aEmptyArray[0]
Global $g_aAutoSize[] = [1, 2, 3, 4]
Local $aStates[2], $aWindowsStats[4]
Local $a2Dimensions[2][3] = [[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6]]

; Declaring constant variables
Const $iX1 = 11, $iY1 = 23, $iZ1 = 55
Global Const $PI = 3.14159, $E = 2.71828
Local Const $DAYS_WORKING = 5

I'm not sure if the "Declaring arrays" section (in this mentioned current version ) is what you mean.

If not, just try to be more specific.

mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• Developers
4 minutes ago, mLipok said:

I'm still not sure what exactly you mean.

Just let it be for the moment as my current guess is you won't ever get an answer and maybe even that the post will suddenly vanish., so just wait n see what happens. ;) 

SciTE4AutoIt3 Full installer Download page   - Beta files       Read before posting     How to post scriptsource   Forum etiquette  Forum Rules 

Live for the present,
Dream of the future,
Learn from the past.
  :)

• 2 weeks later...

description for this following macros

@LogonDNSDomain Logon DNS Domain.
@LogonDomain Logon Domain.
@LogonServer Logon server.

they are not very informative.

Can anyone propse a better description?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 1 month later...

The example in VarGetType calls the Double a Float ($fFloat) and includes an extra line for hWnd, even though it returns a Ptr.

Also, the tabs make the data come out mis-aligned, but that might just be me.

All my code provided is Public Domain... but it may not work. ;) Use it, change it, break it, whatever you want.

Spoiler

My Humble Contributions:
Personal Function Documentation - A personal HelpFile for your functions
Acro.au3 UDF - Automating Acrobat Pro
ToDo Finder - Find #ToDo: lines in your scripts
UI-SimpleWrappers UDF - Use UI Automation more Simply-er
KeePass UDF - Automate KeePass, a password manager
InputBoxes - Simple Input boxes for various variable types

• 2 weeks later...

In description for:

IsAdmin()

there is :

Return Value

Success: 1 if the current user has administrator privileges.

IMHO this statement is not accurate.
Because you can run for example an compiled script as a specific not current user.
I mean current user (logged into a Windows) it is not always the same as the user who started the program.

Does this description need a correction ?

What you think about ?

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

Linguistic interpretations.
Say you RunAs another user. The current user for the program, is the user the program runs under. That is the current user at the time for that program.
The help statement is accurate, unless you find better wording. I can not think of better wording at this time. As is, is good.
Maybe add a reference to RunAs() ?, as to hint the reader that a current user could be any user, even SYSTEM. 

Follow the link to my code contribution ( and other things too ).
FAQ - Please Read Before Posting.
autoit_scripter_blue_userbar.png

• 4 weeks later...

The problem is that I cannot get the SetCueBanner to display on EditBoxes :(

This example is from the help file, and only slightly modified.

@Melba23's research indicates it cannot be done.

A one line addition to the Help File

Windows documentation indicates that it is not possible to set Cue text on multiline controls.

Yes?

Skysnake

Why is the snake in the sky?

• Moderators

Skysnake,

Suitable text added to Help file.

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

• 2 months later...

Does for GUICreate() function Helpfile says nothing about width and height default values, or I'm blind ?
Can somebody explain and propose some description to this parameters default values ?

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

I'm not EN native speaker but want to ask if here: https://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/docs/script_breaking_changes.htm

has been addaptedto fit W3C Colors.

Do there should be an additional space? And not duplicated "d" ?
I mean "adapted to" instead "addaptedto"
Google translates both forms `addaptedto` and `adapted to` as well.

btw. 
There is one more lack of space

MDGRAY,MONEYGREEN 

Edited by mLipok

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Jon said:

Should be “adapted to”

Fixed on SVN

Signature beginning:

Spoiler

• 3 months later...

I have a question about: _WinAPI_GetProcessWindowStation()
In this descripion what mean "station" in what sens "window station" it is ?
Is this simply handle to the main window of the process ?

_WinAPI_GetProcessWindowStation

Retrieves a handle to the current window station for the calling process

#include <WinAPISys.au3>
_WinAPI_GetProcessWindowStation ( )

Signature beginning:

Spoiler