LRShiftWinAct - A hotkey alternative for window activation

MarkRobbins

Do you...

• want to activate arbitrary windows quickly with a few keystrokes
  • want to not rely on global hotkeys
  • need visual feedback letting you know what windows are assigned
  • need a fast way of assignment and removal

LRShiftWinAct is a translucent slide-in dialog that allows you to assign windows to key slots 0-9

post-78716-0-07658000-1376978213_thumb.p

Usage:

Pressing the left and right shift keys will activate the application. When activated, it notes the previously active window so that you can assign it to a slot. Pressing 0-9 will assign to that slot if it is empty, if not empty the window in that slot will be activated. Pressing shift+0-9 will force an assignment into a filled slot. Pressing ctrl+0-9 will empty a slot.

Thus, window activation amounts to L+R shift, [dialog], 0-9. Slot assignment L+R shift, [dialog], shift+0-9.

When the application is not active, a momentary tool tip showing slot assignment will appear in the upper left of an active window if it has been assigned a slot.

LRShiftWinAct.au3

Neat idea, but I've never had any issues with using (Shift+)Alt+Tab before.  Guess I'm not much in a hurry to switch directly to a window.

I'm not knocking your script; it looks interesting and has a neat appearance, just not an app for me.

Neat idea, but I've never had any issues with using (Shift+)Alt+Tab before.  Guess I'm not much in a hurry to switch directly to a window.

I'm not knocking your script; it looks interesting and has a neat appearance, just not an app for me.

You need to open more windows then >_<

For me there is always 3 or 4 main apps that I need to 'hold still' amongst the (easily) 20 or so in the alt-tab shuffle. This is even after I have Win+0-9 handled by the taskbar (unreliably I must say, I hate the taskbar in Win7... its such a dog), on top of that I have a launch or activate script running on Win+F1-F12 and still all my apps aren't covered.

I have so many ways to switch windows its ridiculous. I have one script that picks up all the misc window types; I have a zoom-out and pick manager; I have an incremental search switcher; a taskbar for multi-monitor; and an additional task bar thats only good for a mouse.

With all that its hard to believe I wrote this out of desperation. Thanks for the feedback though.