Excel Dashboard with Autoit?

Go to solution Solved by water,

Hi Guys,

Thinking of making a Dashboard for works Excel files however i hate using shared files (really annoying to deal with) in regards to having just a main excel Dashboard file that everyone opens up (just wanting to improve performance speed and over all durability of the excel Dashboard)

Was tempted to use Access as this would be 2nd easiest option however we dont use Access at work so tempted to try and make an Autoit Excel Dashboard.

Just wanting to know has anyone tried this and how much luck did you have with it? or am i better off not even wasting my time and just sticking with making the Dashboard in Excel.

• Solution

Shared access to an Excel file shouldn't be a problem.

To create a dashboard with graphics you could have a look at the ExcelChart UDF.

Ptrex has created a great example of a >dashboard.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Shared access to an Excel file shouldn't be a problem.

To create a dashboard with graphics you could have a look at the ExcelChart UDF.

Ptrex has created a great example of a >dashboard.

Not a problem as such to run in excel, ive already made a great dashboard in excel but sometimes using windows server 2003, xp & win7 ive found that random errors happen with shared excel spreadsheets and it gets very annoying was just thinking i might be able to have more flexibility or less issues with an Autoit Dashboard but am not aware of any limitations etc thats why im asking if theres any benefit to creating one in autoit... 

Plus i like playing with autoit, helps improve my skills! :)

Will take a look at Ptrex!

Muchly appreciated as always water! :)

To make sure you have no problems with shared Excel spreadsheets I would make sure that only one system has write access and all other just open the sheet in read-only mode.

That's easy with the rewrite of the Excel UDF.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki