Considering AutoIt, application questions

Hi,

I am looking for a way to automate a bunch of routine tasks that I have to deal with frequently. I am hoping that someone here can tell me if these are appropriate applications for AutoIt. I have many such tasks, but will only bother you with a couple of representative ones.

Attaching Emails to a Case. I get a hige number of emails from clients. I have a case management program that has an Outlook module that will allow me to "attachg" the emails to the appropriate case. The problem is it requires several steps to complete the task and these have to be repeated for each email. I am working on a case today that has over 300 emails messages. It it only takes me 10 seconds for each email, it will take nearly an hour to attach them all and that assumes that I don't make any mistakes.

I'd like to be able to invoke a script, have it ask me for the case name, and then have it attach all of the emails in the current Outlook folder to that case, then move the emails to a different Outlook folder. Ideally, it would go to the case management program and let me select the case from the case list first.

Save Statements from Email Attachments. I get a lot of statements from various clubs, associations, and other institutions. I would like to be able to run a script that would save the attachments in the appropriate folder and assign a file name in accordance with my usual naming convention.

Archive VBA Modules. I have a bunch of VBA modules for Word and Excel. I like to archive them from time to time. I'd like a script that would handle the task of executing the Export function from the VBA IDE for each active module assigning each one a custom name according to a naming convention I use.

Make Backup Copies of Files. I have a practice of making dated backup copies of important files and documents (versions) before making major changes. I typically make a copy, then edit the copy to remove the "Copy of " added by Windows and add the date. Sometimes I also move them to a separate folder (Old) so they don't clutter up the production folder. It would be helpful to be able to have a keyboard shortcut (Ctrl-B or Ctrl-V) that would do the whole process in a single step.

Are these the types of tasks that AutoIt can handle?

I am using Office 2007 on Windows XP.

I don't know anything about outlook, but I know AutoIt3 can work nicely with it from topics past.

Next, you should start a few basic scripts to test things.

If you need help, be as clear and thorough as you can with your specific problems, and always accompany with your code.

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

I think points 1 & 2 can be solved using my OutlookEX UDF (for download please check my signature).

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

I don't know anything about outlook, but I know AutoIt3 can work nicely with it from topics past.

Next, you should start a few basic scripts to test things.

If you need help, be as clear and thorough as you can with your specific problems, and always accompany with your code.

Just finished installing AutoIt and the editor and reading your Absolute Beginner tutorial. It was certainly accurately named. :) I found the tutorial page, so I'm off to read a few and try some things. Thanks.

I am using Office 2007 on Windows XP.