Weird treeview issue

Clark

Go to solution Solved by Clark,

Hi there

I am getting a strange issue occuring with treeview.

The below code creates a three level treeview.  Each top level item has subitems, so all the top level items should have a "+" before them, allowing them to be expanded.

However, what is happening is that the last top level item is not showing a plus sign, until it is clicked once - then the plus sign appears.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?

Func _Populate_System_Treeview()
   local $iNumberSystems,$iCount,$iFields,$tempRecord,$tv1,$tv2,$tv3
   $sSQL="Select * from tbl_systems;"
   If Not _EzMYSql_Query($sSQL) Then
      MsgBox(0, "Query Error", "Error: "& @error & @CR & "Error string: " & _EzMySql_ErrMsg())
   EndIf   
   $iNumberSystems = _EzMySql_Rows()                            ; Number of systems (rows) in the table
   global $tvi[$iNumberSystems][5]                              
   for $iCount = 0 to $iNumberSystems-1                         ; for each row in the table
      $tempRecord = _EzMySql_FetchData()                        ; Read the row into a temporary var
      for $iFields = 0 to 3
         $tvi[$iCount][$iFields]=$tempRecord[$iFields]              ; Fourth field reserved for pointer to treeviewbox items
      Next
   Next
   _ArraySort($tvi,0,0,0,0)
   for $iCount = 0 to $iNumberSystems-1
      Switch $tvi[$iCount][2]                           ; SYS_level field
         Case 1                                                 ; Top level
            $tv1=GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem($tvi[$iCount][1], $treeview)                 ; Display the item
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv1
         Case 2                                                 ; Second level
            $tv2=GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem($tvi[$iCount][1], $tv1)
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv2           
         Case 3                                                 ; THird level
            $tv3=GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem($tvi[$iCount][1], $tv2)
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv3
         Case Else                                              ; Should never happen
            ; msgbox(0,"Warning","Undefined system level detected")
      EndSwitch
   Next
EndFunc

• Moderators

Clark,

Unless you provide some runnable code which shows the problem, you are unlikely to get any useful responses. At present you are expecting us to write our own code to create a GUI to hold your treeview, create a SQL databasde to query with no idea what the resultant array format, and then add your function to even see the problem. Would you be prepared to do all that? :huh:

You post a runnable script which illustrates the problem and I will be happy to look into what might be happening. But at the moment there is absolutely no chance. ;)

M23

Public_Domain.png.2d871819fcb9957cf44f4514551a2935.png Any of my own code posted anywhere on the forum is available for use by others without any restriction of any kind

Open spoiler to see my UDFs:

Spoiler

ArrayMultiColSort ---- Sort arrays on multiple columns
ChooseFileFolder ---- Single and multiple selections from specified path treeview listing
Date_Time_Convert -- Easily convert date/time formats, including the language used
ExtMsgBox --------- A highly customisable replacement for MsgBox
GUIExtender -------- Extend and retract multiple sections within a GUI
GUIFrame ---------- Subdivide GUIs into many adjustable frames
GUIListViewEx ------- Insert, delete, move, drag, sort, edit and colour ListView items
GUITreeViewEx ------ Check/clear parent and child checkboxes in a TreeView
Marquee ----------- Scrolling tickertape GUIs
NoFocusLines ------- Remove the dotted focus lines from buttons, sliders, radios and checkboxes
Notify ------------- Small notifications on the edge of the display
Scrollbars ----------Automatically sized scrollbars with a single command
StringSize ---------- Automatically size controls to fit text
Toast -------------- Small GUIs which pop out of the notification area

OK, fair call, although I was hoping that someone could just spot the problem in the code without necessarily having to run it.

Anway, I have added some code around it to illustrate the issue - although now you don't need to click the last line of the treeview to make the final + appear - you just have to hover over it. 

#include <TreeViewConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <Array.au3>

$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Request for Change", 977, 917, 467, 37)

$TreeView = GUICtrlCreateTreeView(617, 190, 336, 300,BitOR($TVS_HASBUTTONS, $TVS_HASLINES, $TVS_LINESATROOT, $TVS_DISABLEDRAGDROP, $TVS_SHOWSELALWAYS), $WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

_Populate_System_Treeview()

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
         Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
  EndSwitch
WEnd

; Due to the retardness of the mySQL udf this has to be build as an in-memory array rather than straight to screen
   local $iNumberSystems=27,$iCount,$iFields,$tempRecord[5],$tv1,$tv2,$tv3
   for $iCount = 0 to $iNumberSystems-1                         ; for each row in the table
      $tempRecord = _Emulate_EzMySql_FetchData($iCount)         ; Read the row into a temporary var
      for $iFields = 0 to 3
         $tvi[$iCount][$iFields]=$tempRecord[$iFields]          ; Fourth field reserved for pointer to treeviewbox items
      Next
   Next
   _ArraySort($tvi,0,0,0,0)
      Switch $tvi[$iCount][2]                                   ; SYS_level field
            $tv1=GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem($tvi[$iCount][1], $treeview) ; Display the item
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv1
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv2           
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv3
         Case Else                                                  ; Should never happen
      EndSwitch
   Next
EndFunc

Func _Emulate_EzMySql_FetchData($idx)
   local $retstring[5],$lCntr
   local $tvi[28][3] = [ _
   [100,"SAP ERP",                  1], _
   [110,"(CRM) Customer Relationship Management",   1], _
   [111,"Interaction Centre",                   2], _
   [112,"Activity and CRM Ticket Mgmt",             3], _
   [113,"Grants CRM Mgmt",                      3], _
   [114,"Electronic Document Records Mgmt System",3], _ 
   [120,"(ECC) ERP Central Component",          3], _
   [121,"Finance Controlling and Funds Mgmt",       2], _ 
   [122,"Human Capital Mgmt",                       3], _ 
   [123,"Materials Mgmt",                           3], _  
   [124,"Treasury Mgmt System",                 3], _   
   [130,"Enterprise Portal",                    3], _
   [140,"Business Intelligence/Warehouse",  2], _
   [150,"XI / PI Interfaces",                   2], _
   [160,"Solution Manager",                 2], _   
   [200,"GOS",                      2], _
   [210,"Lotos",                            1], _
   [220,"BOS",                              2], _
   [230,"Terminal",                             2], _   
   [300,"Corporate IT",             2], _
   [310,"Email",                            1], _
   [320,"Intranet",                         2], _
   [400,"Digital Point of Presence",    2], _
   [410,"Play Online",                          1], _
   [420,"Retail Link",                          2], _ 
   [430,"Corporate Website General",            2], _
   [440,"Corporate Website Grants",             2]]
   for $lCntr = 0 to 2
         $retstring[$lCntr]=$tvi[$idx][$lCntr]
   Next
   return ($retstring)
endfunc

Good call NewPlaza, that seems to have fixed it on my system at least.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Thanks for that good try.

I tried that previously, but unfortunately it doesn't fix it on my system.  Not on the "real" program nor the "test" program I have included.

In fact, on the test program it makes it emulate the real program, in that the + does not appear until I click the last line.  Very strange.

I tried your example script and I was seeing the problem before moving the GUISetState function below the line that creates the treeview. After moving it, the problem went away, at least on the 2 different computers I ran it on.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

One trick you could use is adding this line after your return from creating all of the treeview items.

GUICtrlDelete(GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem("",$TreeView))

This adds an additional root level treeview item and immediately deletes it, which makes the bottom treeview item have the "+" sign show up every time.

It works here (Windows XP), so it may be a missing control redraw call (in Windows 7?)

This should fix the issue (although I can't test it to adapt the redraw message).

_WinAPI_RedrawWindow($Form1_1, 0, $hTreeeView, $RDW_ERASENOW)
Br, FireFox. Edited by FireFox

• 3 weeks later...

@all - Follow-up

I recently had exactly the same problem.  Adding a "_guictrltreeview_beginupdate",  "_guictrltreeview_endupdate" pair fixed it...

#include <TreeViewConstants.au3>
#include <WindowsConstants.au3>
#include <GUIConstantsEx.au3>
#include <Array.au3>
#include <GuiTreeView.au3> ; <---- added for _guictrltreeview* functions

$Form1_1 = GUICreate("Request for Change", 977, 917, 467, 37)

$TreeView = GUICtrlCreateTreeView(617, 190, 336, 300,BitOR($TVS_HASBUTTONS, $TVS_HASLINES, $TVS_LINESATROOT, $TVS_DISABLEDRAGDROP, $TVS_SHOWSELALWAYS), $WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE)
GUISetState(@SW_SHOW)

_Populate_System_Treeview()

While 1
    $nMsg = GUIGetMsg()
    Switch $nMsg
         Case $GUI_EVENT_CLOSE
            Exit
  EndSwitch
WEnd

;
    _GUICtrlTreeView_BeginUpdate($treeview) ; <-----  added
    ;
   ; Due to the retardness of the mySQL udf this has to be build as an in-memory array rather than straight to screen
   local $iNumberSystems=27,$iCount,$iFields,$tempRecord[5],$tv1,$tv2,$tv3
      $tempRecord = _Emulate_EzMySql_FetchData($iCount)         ; Read the row into a temporary var
      for $iFields = 0 to 3
         $tvi[$iCount][$iFields]=$tempRecord[$iFields]          ; Fourth field reserved for pointer to treeviewbox items
      Next
   Next
   _ArraySort($tvi,0,0,0,0)
      Switch $tvi[$iCount][2]                                   ; SYS_level field
            $tv1=GUICtrlCreateTreeViewItem($tvi[$iCount][1], $treeview) ; Display the item
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv1
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv2
            $tvi[$iCount][4]=$tv3
         Case Else                                                  ; Should never happen
      EndSwitch
  Next
    ;
    _GUICtrlTreeView_endUpdate($treeview) ; <--- added
    ;

EndFunc

Func _Emulate_EzMySql_FetchData($idx)
   local $retstring[5],$lCntr
   local $tvi[28][3] = [ _
   [100,"SAP ERP",                  1], _
   [110,"(CRM) Customer Relationship Management",   1], _
   [111,"Interaction Centre",                   2], _
   [112,"Activity and CRM Ticket Mgmt",             3], _
   [113,"Grants CRM Mgmt",                      3], _
   [114,"Electronic Document Records Mgmt System",3], _
   [120,"(ECC) ERP Central Component",          3], _
   [121,"Finance Controlling and Funds Mgmt",       2], _
   [122,"Human Capital Mgmt",                       3], _
   [123,"Materials Mgmt",                           3], _
   [124,"Treasury Mgmt System",                 3], _
   [130,"Enterprise Portal",                    3], _
   [140,"Business Intelligence/Warehouse",  2], _
   [150,"XI / PI Interfaces",                   2], _
   [160,"Solution Manager",                 2], _
   [200,"GOS",                      2], _
   [210,"Lotos",                            1], _
   [220,"BOS",                              2], _
   [230,"Terminal",                             2], _
   [300,"Corporate IT",             2], _
   [310,"Email",                            1], _
   [320,"Intranet",                         2], _
   [400,"Digital Point of Presence",    2], _
   [410,"Play Online",                          1], _
   [420,"Retail Link",                          2], _
   [430,"Corporate Website General",            2], _
   [440,"Corporate Website Grants",             2]]
   for $lCntr = 0 to 2
         $retstring[$lCntr]=$tvi[$idx][$lCntr]
   Next
   return ($retstring)
endfunc

kylomas

edit: @Clark - Your array to populate the treeview requires strict order of items in the array.  See thread

for another way to do this using an array.

Edited by kylomas

Forum Rules         Procedure for posting code

"I like pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.  Pigs treat us as equals."

- Sir Winston Churchill