Click on folder and play video within it

I have a number of subfolders in a folder, each containing one video and some related files. I'd like to be able to click once on each subfolder and play the video within it immediately. Kind of like the behavior of right-clicking on the folder and selecting "VLC media player - Play" from the context menu, only with one click. I'd also like to preserve the possibility of actually entering the folder, which could be achieved i.e. by pressing a keyboard key while clicking or event better, double clicking.

I'll probably create a keyboard shortcut to run the script in the background since I only want this behavior for the subfolders in a certain folder and don't want have script running all the time to check whether I've entered this folder.

You don't have write the complete code for me (although you may) but some advice on where to look and some parameters of what is possible would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by KeyMs92

That would require very low level interrupt ability, which I suspect you would be very unlikely to find here ... trancexx perhaps.

You would be better to pursue some kind of registry change, where unless a certain key is held down, double-clicking a folder proceeds in a normal open process. You would need your own third party program to act as an intermediary in any such deal though.

It is true to say though, that I haven't expended a whole lot of deep thought on this, as to viability.

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

I'm not certain what you precisely are asking here.

You want to just highlight a folder in an explorer window, and without opening the folder, play a video inside it?

I'm not sure if I can think of a possible way to do that from the DirectUIHWND3 control (without clicking on the folder to expose the edit control) , but possibly the SysTreeView321 control.

Edited by JohnOne

AutoIt Absolute Beginners    Require a serial    Pause Script    Video Tutorials by Morthawt   ipify 

Monkey's are, like, natures humans.

Linked what?

I'm not sure I understand??

[1] Are you now talking about using right-click to achieve what you want?

[2] Or are you saying you want a command related to a context (right-click) menu entry, to be activated by a single click on a folder?

If [1], then that should already be happening or trivial to setup.

If [2], then go back and read what I said in my first post.

I cannot see you avoiding right-click or double-click, with the latter being more difficult to setup, with another key being held down or not, to indicate regular folder open usage or your play program instead.

Edited by TheSaint

Make sure brain is in gear before opening mouth!
Remember, what is not said, can be just as important as what is said.

Spoiler

What is the Secret Key? Life is like a Donut

If I put effort into communication, I expect you to read properly & fully, or just not comment.
Ignoring those who try to divert conversation with irrelevancies.
If I'm intent on insulting you or being rude, I will be obvious, not ambiguous about it.
I'm only big and bad, to those who have an over-active imagination.

I may have the Artistic Liesense ;) to disagree with you. TheSaint's Toolbox (be advised many downloads are not working due to ISP screwup with my storage)

userbar.png

• 3 weeks later...
You want to just highlight a folder in an explorer window, and without opening the folder, play a video inside it?

Exactly!

Or are you saying you want a command related to a context (right-click) menu entry, to be activated by a single click on a folder?

I cannot see you avoiding right-click or double-click, with the latter being more difficult to setup, with another key being held down or not, to indicate regular folder open usage or your play program instead.

Exactly! You heard me right the first time. :-)

Double-clicking on the folder to play the file inside it would also be acceptable. If it is any more complicated than that, it's probably not worth it.

Edited by KeyMs92