Counting a repetitive process to a file, problem

Kaitsu

Hi, I am fairly new to AutoIt scripting. I would like to make a simple counter that writes a line (date + timestamp) to a text file everytime a window appears. My code works on some level. I use windows calculator in this example.

It waits for the window to appear and then writes on the text file ok. But there are 2 questions. The first one is that it floods the txt file with lines as long as the calculator-window is open. I would want only one line for every instance the calculator-window opens. And the second question is how can I loop it so that when calculator opens it writes the line to the txt-file and then waits again for calculator to open and writes again. So a simple log-file is what I am trying to do. Thanks in advance for your help!

WinWait("Calculator")
If WinActive("Calculator") Then

$file = FileOpen("d:tempcounter.txt", 1)
If $file = -1 Then
    Exit
EndIf
FileWriteLine($file, "Opened, " & @MDAY & "." & @MON & "." & @YEAR & " " & @HOUR & ":" & @MIN & @CRLF)
FileClose($file)

ElseIf
WinWait("Calculator")
EndIf
Edited by Kaitsu

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

Can you please describe why you want to monitor the number of times a window is opened? What do you try to achieve?

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Welcome to AutoIt and the forum!

Can you please describe why you want to monitor the number of times a window is opened? What do you try to achieve?

Hi,

Actually I am trying to make a simple report from the data that this little counter should give me. It would then tell me how many times a day the process/window appears and the exact time of day that this occurs. So it would give me a nice simple report. The actual window in my final version that appears is more like "operation successful". And I am trying to count/monitor these processes.

I am a part of a small business. And we have 8 computers on which this little counter should be used to write on a single file which is on a shared network drive. The window I am trying to count is a "ok/done -confirmation window" that is the repetitive process, that a user must click. It would then give us a report how many times the process has been done. Hope this clears:)

Edited by Kaitsu

Depending where on the world you are located it might be needed to check this with the works council.

I would use function WinList. Each window is returned with a handle. By comparing the handle you can make sure to only count unique windows.

My UDFs and Tutorials:

Spoiler

UDFs:
Active Directory (NEW 2022-02-19 - Version 1.6.1.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
ExcelChart (2017-07-21 - Version 0.4.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts
OutlookEX (2021-11-16 - Version 1.7.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
OutlookEX_GUI (2021-04-13 - Version 1.4.0.0) - Download
Outlook Tools (2019-07-22 - Version 0.6.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki
PowerPoint (2021-08-31 - Version 1.5.0.0) - Download - General Help & Support - Example Scripts - Wiki
Task Scheduler (NEW 2022-07-28 - Version 1.6.0.1) - Download - General Help & Support - Wiki

Standard UDFs:
Excel - Example Scripts - Wiki
Word - Wiki

Tutorials:
ADO - Wiki
WebDriver - Wiki

Depending where on the world you are located it might be needed to check this with the works council.

I would use function WinList. Each window is returned with a handle. By comparing the handle you can make sure to only count unique windows.

I am from Finland. And it should be completely legal and almost everything else is monitored for reports. This was just my idea that we could monitor it using AutoIt. I will try to look on the WinList function. Seems a bit confusing, but might take a while to figure it out.

In my case the window is always closed after it appears, so there is just one window open at a time.

Edited by Kaitsu