SHA256 and Sha512

Hi,

Since the demise of MD5 and SHA1 for signature verification is imminent

Microsoft kills it in February 11, 2014

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/advisory/2862973

The bad news is that MD5 applications certificates and tools relying on MD5 and even Sha1 are now unreliable as they are subject to impersonation (collisions)

Are there any plans to also implement Sha256 and Sha512 to the basic checksum pack of _Crypt_HashFile modules of the Crypt.au3 suite?

I need to be able to sign some files with Sha256 in particular and I was hoping to be able to pull it off without having to use an external module.  I always prefer pure Autoit to blending.

If this functionality already exists...  I'd really appreciate a hand on finding information on it.

Autoit Rock! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Edited by MindlessGenius

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not right now, no. But feel free to add the constants to your setup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa375549(v=vs.85).aspx

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

Before you ask, it was reported as a feature request but was subsequently rejected for reasons specified in the ticket.

Trac Ticket - #2296

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

_Crypt_HashFile uses _Crypt_HashData which in turn uses the Advapi32.dll and the function CryptCreateHash and using that function in the DLL you can use these values for the ALG_ID. Reading that page, it says you can use a lot more of the algorithms than are mentioned in the help file. What I would do if i were you, would be to try using those other values and see if they work, from what I read they should, but take note of the algorithms listed that don't work on XP SP2 and below.

Let us know if it works.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

AutoIt supports Windows 2000 and above and thus adding these would cause more issues for very little benefit.

Not to be too terribly antagonistic but,

The current version of crypt already offers AES options for which WIN2000 is not supported, how would adding limited SHA options cause any more issues for these users?  Why nerf a UDF for the ease of use of EOL systems?

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

For now I have added the following to the beta version of Crypt.au3, but have commented out. I'm sure sooner or later Windows XP support will be dropped by AutoIt.

; Global Const $CALG_SHA_256 = 0x0000800c
; Global Const $CALG_SHA_384 = 0x0000800d
; Global Const $CALG_SHA_512 = 0x0000800e

UDF List:

Not to be too terribly antagonistic but,

The current version of crypt already offers AES options for which WIN2000 is not supported, how would adding limited SHA options cause any more issues for these users?  Why nerf a UDF for the ease of use of EOL systems?

The minimum version of AutoIt beta is Windows XP, so that was a mistake back then.

UDF List:

Not right now, no. But feel free to add the constants to your setup.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa375549(v=vs.85).aspx

How did I miss this post? :)

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

I'm not getting what you're referring to czardas, Windows or AutoIt?

How did I miss this post? :)

No problem, hopefully the OP will add to their setup.

UDF List:

Either I was typing for a lot longer than I thought, or I need to slow down and read better.

I'm not getting what you're referring to czardas, Windows or AutoIt?

Both in this case. Unless there's some deeper mystery to this, hashing strings is not going to produce different results on different operating systems or future releases. Removing options to use these algorithms doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If anything I think it is potentially dangerous.

Edited by czardas

Its not removing options to use these algorithms so much as not offering them to be used...unless of course i am missing something (as per usual).

And if XP SP3 offers support,  though admittedly I do not understand if the MS caveat requires user modification,

are you saying the minimum requirement for the beta is XP SP0? 

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

As I see it or understood, the UDFs should support the OS AutoIt supports. In this case it's XP SP0 and thus adding these constants (which are SP3+) would break this convention. If it's not clear please ask.

UDF List:

Both in this case. Unless there's some deeper mystery to this, hashing strings is not going to produce different results on different operating systems or future releases. Removing options to use these algorithms doesn't seem to make much sense to me. If anything I think it is potentially dangerous.

It's not that they will give different results, it's that Windows XP SP2 and below doesn't have the ability to use some of the algorithms.

They  weren't available back in the stone age of SP2 and lower. There's no removal of any options, they just weren't added when the UDF was created and/or updated, maybe because they weren't available the last time this UDF was updated, or someone just didn't look at that section of the code at that time.

There's nothing dangerous about not offering these algorithms, after all AutoIt isn't the most secure software to be coding in anyways.

As I see it or understood, the UDFs should support the OS AutoIt supports. In this case it's XP SP0 and thus adding these constants (which are SP3+) would break this convention. If it's not clear please ask.

We have a few functions that are standard that are Vista+ only, there's precedence.

I was under the impression that file hashes are not OS independant.

You'd be wrong about that, the OS has to be able to create those hashes, the UDF uses the Advapi32.dll to do that.