SHA256 and Sha512

We have a few functions that are standard that are Vista+ only, there's precedence.

Documented of course. Plus with cryptography I think we have to be a little vigilant, as users often skim read the help file, so adding a warning message doesn't always get through.

Edited by guinness

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

Updated: 22/04/2018

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Documented of course.

My point was, there's precedence to adding the algorithms to the help file/constants, as long as they're commented on in the help file. Just because they don't work on some versions of XP isn't a reason to not include them, was all I was saying.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude
How to ask questions the smart way!

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

Hmm, I don't know. Other systems seem to be able to hash files. You need a dll? Now I'm confused.

You can manually create them, but the UDF doesn't do that, it uses the built-in (and hopefully thoroughly tested) functions that the OS provides. Which is by far a lot safer than rolling your own security hashes.

If I posted any code, assume that code was written using the latest release version unless stated otherwise. Also, if it doesn't work on XP I can't help with that because I don't have access to XP, and I'm not going to.
Give a programmer the correct code and he can do his work for a day. Teach a programmer to debug and he can do his work for a lifetime - by Chirag Gude

I hereby grant any person the right to use any code I post, that I am the original author of, on the autoitscript.com forums, unless I've specifically stated otherwise in the code or the thread post. If you do use my code all I ask, as a courtesy, is to make note of where you got it from.

Back up and restore Windows user files _Array.au3 - Modified array functions that include support for 2D arrays.  -  ColorChooser - An add-on for SciTE that pops up a color dialog so you can select and paste a color code into a script.  -  Customizable Splashscreen GUI w/Progress Bar - Create a custom "splash screen" GUI with a progress bar and custom label.  -  _FileGetProperty - Retrieve the properties of a file  -  SciTE Toolbar - A toolbar demo for use with the SciTE editor  -  GUIRegisterMsg demo - Demo script to show how to use the Windows messages to interact with controls and your GUI.  -   Latin Square password generator

i see now, czardas.  You were looking at the removal of the old hashes (MD5 SHA1), whereas i was simply looking at the inclusion of the additional SHA2 options.  I agree that nothing should be removed.  

And I have to keep deleting my words because BrewMan keeps saying them before I can fix all my typos and grammar.

Edited by boththose

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

I edited my post above. I will expand further though. Firstly I asked in the MVP Forum about this, with the conclusion of "don't add guinness" because as you know I often get told I don't listen to the MVP community!

With cryptography I really think adding a warning to these constants won't stop the few that don't read the help file thoroughly and thus we will receive reports of "said algorithm doesn't work!" or worse.

No removal has taken place just yet. Maybe in the future it will be considered.

UDF List:

_AdapterConnections()_AlwaysRun()_AppMon()_AppMonEx()_ArrayFilter/_ArrayReduce_BinaryBin()_CheckMsgBox()_CmdLineRaw()_ContextMenu()_ConvertLHWebColor()/_ConvertSHWebColor()_DesktopDimensions()_DisplayPassword()_DotNet_Load()/_DotNet_Unload()_Fibonacci()_FileCompare()_FileCompareContents()_FileNameByHandle()_FilePrefix/SRE()_FindInFile()_GetBackgroundColor()/_SetBackgroundColor()_GetConrolID()_GetCtrlClass()_GetDirectoryFormat()_GetDriveMediaType()_GetFilename()/_GetFilenameExt()_GetHardwareID()_GetIP()_GetIP_Country()_GetOSLanguage()_GetSavedSource()_GetStringSize()_GetSystemPaths()_GetURLImage()_GIFImage()_GoogleWeather()_GUICtrlCreateGroup()_GUICtrlListBox_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_CreateArray()_GUICtrlListView_SaveCSV()_GUICtrlListView_SaveHTML()_GUICtrlListView_SaveTxt()_GUICtrlListView_SaveXML()_GUICtrlMenu_Recent()_GUICtrlMenu_SetItemImage()_GUICtrlTreeView_CreateArray()_GUIDisable()_GUIImageList_SetIconFromHandle()_GUIRegisterMsg()_GUISetIcon()_Icon_Clear()/_Icon_Set()_IdleTime()_InetGet()_InetGetGUI()_InetGetProgress()_IPDetails()_IsFileOlder()_IsGUID()_IsHex()_IsPalindrome()_IsRegKey()_IsStringRegExp()_IsSystemDrive()_IsUPX()_IsValidType()_IsWebColor()_Language()_Log()_MicrosoftInternetConnectivity()_MSDNDataType()_PathFull/GetRelative/Split()_PathSplitEx()_PrintFromArray()_ProgressSetMarquee()_ReDim()_RockPaperScissors()/_RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock()_ScrollingCredits_SelfDelete()_SelfRename()_SelfUpdate()_SendTo()_ShellAll()_ShellFile()_ShellFolder()_SingletonHWID()_SingletonPID()_Startup()_StringCompact()_StringIsValid()_StringRegExpMetaCharacters()_StringReplaceWholeWord()_StringStripChars()_Temperature()_TrialPeriod()_UKToUSDate()/_USToUKDate()_WinAPI_Create_CTL_CODE()_WinAPI_CreateGUID()_WMIDateStringToDate()/_DateToWMIDateString()Au3 script parsingAutoIt SearchAutoIt3 PortableAutoIt3WrapperToPragmaAutoItWinGetTitle()/AutoItWinSetTitle()CodingDirToHTML5FileInstallrFileReadLastChars()GeoIP databaseGUI - Only Close ButtonGUI ExamplesGUICtrlDeleteImage()GUICtrlGetBkColor()GUICtrlGetStyle()GUIEventsGUIGetBkColor()Int_Parse() & Int_TryParse()IsISBN()LockFile()Mapping CtrlIDsOOP in AutoItParseHeadersToSciTE()PasswordValidPasteBinPosts Per DayPreExpandProtect GlobalsQueue()Resource UpdateResourcesExSciTE JumpSettings INISHELLHOOKShunting-YardSignature CreatorStack()Stopwatch()StringAddLF()/StringStripLF()StringEOLToCRLF()VSCROLLWM_COPYDATAMore Examples...

LOL. It doesn't matter. I would not want AutoIt development to pander to a few individuals running systems that are no longer supported.

@boththose - Of course they are mainstream security features already in place whether they have flaws or not. Removing them is opening pandora's box.

With cryptography I really think adding a warning to these constants won't stop the few that don't read the help file thoroughly and thus we will receive reports of "said algorithm doesn't work!" or worse.

No removal has taken place just yet. Maybe in the future it will be considered.

I see no reason why we should care if people don't read the help file, they don't read it now on some of the simplest things, and we don't strip those out because some users are stupid do we?

What I want to know is how long are Sha-256 and Sha-512 going to last? Encryption algorithms are meant to be good for hundereds, if not thousands or even millions of years. Methods for verification should never really be removed. What if I were to use a SHA-1 hash as a password? It will be very strong, and totally broken by backwards incompatibility.

Include all available options.

Edited by czardas

I explained why it won't be in the next release.

UDF List:

Descriptions for Sha-256 & Sha-512 in the help file. They're present in Crypt.au3, but commented out for now. Nothing has been removed though.

UDF List:

Okay, no worries guinness. If Microsoft plan to remove support for hashing algorithms, I now feel that I can no longer rely on using them - so it shouldn't matter to me. The example I gave in post 29 is totally valid. I may have to come up with a durable verification method of my own. It's kind of like being between a rock and a hard place.

I figured something out already. A simple and basic checksum is all I need for what I'm actually doing. No need for a dll. I still need to figure out a suitable method. The way I'm using SHA-1 is overkill right now in any case. :)

Edited by czardas

_Crypt_HashFile uses _Crypt_HashData which in turn uses the Advapi32.dll and the function CryptCreateHash and using that function in the DLL you can use these values for the ALG_ID. Reading that page, it says you can use a lot more of the algorithms than are mentioned in the help file. What I would do if i were you, would be to try using those other values and see if they work, from what I read they should, but take note of the algorithms listed that don't work on XP SP2 and below.

Let us know if it works.

Yep, the link you provided is providing the effective functionality required for my purposes...

I just added the Global Const $CALG_SHA_256 = 0x0000800c to my own function as the pre requisites are already built into Crypt.au3

So Far I only tested with the Sha256 and all conversions are correct.  Only tested in 7 X64 Ultimate... will do others in the next few days but so far so good thanks a bunch!

For now I have added the following to the beta version of Crypt.au3, but have commented out. I'm sure sooner or later Windows XP support will be dropped by AutoIt.

; Global Const $CALG_SHA_256 = 0x0000800c
; Global Const $CALG_SHA_384 = 0x0000800d
; Global Const $CALG_SHA_512 = 0x0000800e

It works!

My guess is more will request this sort of thing as the NSA shenanigan is invalidated DES, and a few others of their developed backdoor-ed encryption algorithms  couple that with the previously demonstrated weaknesses in MD5 and Sha1 and a lot of devs are rushing around trying to close those holes...

Thanks guy's great help!

Great forum, Amazing Community!

Edited by MindlessGenius

I dont know how removal crept in this discussion rather then simply the inclusion of the newer ones.  Even if Microsoft stops using them for certificates (and rejecting certificates signed as such due to active exploits) does not mean they lose all functionality and should be removed.  I use MD5 for disc checksums in production (for speed benefits over the more secure algorithms), a 2^64 collision rate is of no consequence when i am simply validating media that should all be identical.

,-. .--. ________ .-. .-. ,---. ,-. .-. .-. .-.
|(| / /\ \ |\ /| |__ __||| | | || .-' | |/ / \ \_/ )/
(_) / /__\ \ |(\ / | )| | | `-' | | `-. | | / __ \ (_)
| | | __ | (_)\/ | (_) | | .-. | | .-' | | \ |__| ) (
| | | | |)| | \ / | | | | | |)| | `--. | |) \ | |
`-' |_| (_) | |\/| | `-' /( (_)/( __.' |((_)-' /(_|
'-' '-' (__) (__) (_) (__)

What I want to know is how long are Sha-256 and Sha-512 going to last? Encryption algorithms are meant to be good for hundereds, if not thousands or even millions of years. Methods for verification should never really be removed. What if I were to use a SHA-1 hash as a password? It will be very strong, and totally broken by backwards incompatibility.

Include all available options.

Encryption algorithms are frequently found to be lacking in real security, that's why new ones keep being invented. As computers get faster, and with more memory, and as crackers get better and better at finding holes, security needs to improve to go along with it.

What was true 10 years ago isn't true today, which is why no one uses MD5 for anything other than a simple hash comparison these days.

SHA-1 is long broken as a security tool, way back in 2005 the Chineese pooped on than parade... 

https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2005/02/sha1_broken.html

Currently SHA-2 based cyphers are the only reliable algorithm.  The larger the better the greater the bit count the better.  As for password, the real problem will be to have everyone on the same page as far as cypher compatibility on databases, primary on MySQL and a few other major ones.   I think we need to keep a close eye on this. 

Another problem with passwords is many are using NSA supported algorithms as they are considered military grade.  The only problem is the NSA backdoored them all as they took control of the "Open Source" developement or was able to effectively influence businesses to rewrite most of the effective ones as to provide themselves accessibility.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/09/rsa-advisory-nsa-algorithm/

http://www.blacklistednews.com/NSA_Defends_Encryption_Backdoors_By_Promising_It%27s_Only_Used_To_Spy_On_All_Of_Us/28679/0/0/0/Y/M.html

RSA said that all versions of RSA BSAFE Toolkits, including all versions of Crypto-C ME, Micro Edition Suite, Crypto-J, Cert-J, SSL-J, Crypto-C, Cert-C, SSL-C were affected.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/09/stop-using-nsa-influence-code-in-our-product-rsa-tells-customers/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/06/us/nsa-foils-much-internet-encryption.html?hp&_r=1&

However I did defend my own use of basic MD5 checksums for malware validation:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=351854

Trust No One!

Big Brother is Watching YOU!

Edited by MindlessGenius

Thanks for all the background information - plenty of reading there :). I only need a basic checksum because the binary I wish to test is only verified after some heavy processing. The chances of even a short string producing an invalid match in my program are negligible. I'm also not using a hash as a password - it was just a passing thought that data could automatically verify its own integrity midway through some process without the need for any external input.

Edited by czardas

Much sensationalism here. Little practical results.

Drifting away from SHA-1 is understandable but still not a hurry in most use cases.

Avoiding NSA-compromised PRNG is certainly a bit more urgent, let it be only for showing they did the wrong move (again).

This wonderful site allows debugging and testing regular expressions (many flavors available). An absolute must have in your bookmarks.
Another excellent RegExp tutorial. Don't forget downloading your copy of up-to-date pcretest.exe and pcregrep.exe here
RegExp tutorial: enough to get started
PCRE v8.33 regexp documentation latest available release and currently implemented in AutoIt beta.

SQLitespeed is another feature-rich premier SQLite manager (includes import/export). Well worth a try.
SQLite Expert (freeware Personal Edition or payware Pro version) is a very useful SQLite database manager.
An excellent eBook covering almost every aspect of SQLite3: a must-read for anyone doing serious work.
SQL tutorial (covers "generic" SQL, but most of it applies to SQLite as well)
A work-in-progress SQLite3 tutorial. Don't miss other LxyzTHW pages!
SQLite official website with full documentation (may be newer than the SQLite library that comes standard with AutoIt)